Expired Hot Deals

[Queen Video] Toronto - Queen Video closing sale. Final day April 18.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 9:20 am
Dec 13, 2016
43 posts
46 upvotes
toronto
Prices were a little high if you didn't know what you were paying for, but snagged some criterion, blue underground, and code red releases while I was there

Sep 14, 2009
948 posts
409 upvotes
Halifax
Because you don't own digital copies you buy online, which area also missing any bonus content.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2888 posts
2306 upvotes
sonician wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 6:42 am
Because you don't own digital copies you buy online, which area also missing any bonus content.
You don't 'own' the movie when you have the piece of plastic in your hands either. In both cases you're simply buying a license to the movie. And with BD, they can withdraw the license from you even if you have the plastic disc in hand if they wanted to.

And again, if you WANT the piece of plastic there are tons of places online to get it, nothing has really changed.

As for the masses: they don't care about the piece of plastic, in fact most would question why anybody would bother with the piece of plastic.

Bonus content I'll give you, that's pretty rare in streaming/online form, but again, if the masses cared about that it would be available.
Nov 29, 2011
558 posts
590 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
audit13 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 12:19 am
Damn, only one major store left: Bay Street Video.

I am pretty old school and prefer BD picture and BD audio over streaming services.

I definitely be there to pick up some of my favourites.
Agreed. I'm on Criterion's new streaming service and it's def not going to replace my physical disks.

Don't get me wrong, it's amazing value for the price (basically 4 criterion blurays on 50% sale) but the streaming compression does show. and it's not good enough for classics that i'd prefer to look its best.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13905 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 8:06 am
You don't 'own' the movie when you have the piece of plastic in your hands either. In both cases you're simply buying a license to the movie. And with BD, they can withdraw the license from you even if you have the plastic disc in hand if they wanted to.

And again, if you WANT the piece of plastic there are tons of places online to get it, nothing has really changed.

As for the masses: they don't care about the piece of plastic, in fact most would question why anybody would bother with the piece of plastic.

Bonus content I'll give you, that's pretty rare in streaming/online form, but again, if the masses cared about that it would be available.
Here's a good Apple movies article:
https://gizmodo.com/yes-you-can-own-the ... 1829031620
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2306 posts
1545 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 5:04 pm
I was there around 11:30. BluRay movies were $13.50, BluRay tv per season was $17.50, DVDs were $8.

The BluRay tv selection was very limited and some of the BluRay movies are more expensive than Amazon.
Thanks for saving me a trip
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1292 posts
607 upvotes
sonician wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 6:42 am
You forgot the fact that once the digital service goes out of business you lose your "owned" digital content as well

Flixster, VHQ, UltraViolet, Cinemanow etc etc
Think about the millions people invested in online services that are out of business today

Worse, even those who say they never used services probably chipped in some $$$ as well (since most times they had a physical copy only, or a physical + digital copy which costs and extra $5. Many people bought combo packs thinking they could stream online not realizing codes are not good for life)
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14962 posts
2046 upvotes
Toronto
gotglint wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 2:01 pm
Agreed. I'm on Criterion's new streaming service and it's def not going to replace my physical disks.

Don't get me wrong, it's amazing value for the price (basically 4 criterion blurays on 50% sale) but the streaming compression does show. and it's not good enough for classics that i'd prefer to look its best.
Sometimes, I find the streaming picture to be comparable but it's the audio side of things that keep me going back to the original disc.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2888 posts
2306 upvotes
kav2001c wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 6:20 pm
You forgot the fact that once the digital service goes out of business you lose your "owned" digital content as well

Flixster, VHQ, UltraViolet, Cinemanow etc etc
I can't speak to VHQ or Cinemanow, but I know, personally, that Flixster and UltraViolet both provided migration choices to other services.

I still have my Flixster and UV content, just through other service providers.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1292 posts
607 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 10:40 am
You have GOT to be kidding!?

Video entertainment is MAGNITUDES better today then even a decade ago. FAR lower cost of entry, coupled with FAR more distribution options means we have a quality of TV and movies that has NEVER been seen before.

Now we have content like GOT, and all the fantastic shows Netflix currently produces.
Be nostalgic if you want, but realize the the amount of choice you have today is FAR greater then even 10 years ago.

I for one LOVE the fact that I can sit down and have a choice of 10s of thousands of titles with just the click of a button.
Odd contradiction you have backed yourself into there

Whether one era made better movies is always going to be up for debate
I will simply point out the fact there are many films made in the 50s 60s 70s that still view just as well today as they did back then
I honestly can not even keep a straight face when films like Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians are nominated as "best picture"

To you "cost of entry" appears lower simply because you do not understand how the market worked in the old days
I WILL agree that every movie (no matter how good or how bad) gets a far larger distribution these days than at any time in history but the actual selection of films has decreased exponentially.

All that has done is hyper inflate the dollar totals they rack in
(As an example, *9* of the top grossing films of all time were released in 2016.... there is no film made before 2010 on the list...)

As to the two specific examples you listed above;
Netflix is BAD, it has gotten way worse since they got dropped by many studios (eg Disney)
If you ever stream a US service (Vudu, Hulu, AppleTV) you would never watch Netflix again
My account is free and I watch 10 hours or less per month

Game of Thrones is well made but it starts to fall apart once they get ahead of the books (some of the main character arcs like Brienne, Sansa and Littlefinger have become laughable since they veered off the canon)
I like Martin but as he has proved time and time again he just sucks at meeting deadlines.
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2888 posts
2306 upvotes
kav2001c wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 6:46 pm
Odd contradiction you have backed yourself into there

Whether one era made better movies is always going to be up for debate
I will simply point out the fact there are many films made in the 50s 60s 70s that still view just as well today as they did back then
I honestly can not even keep a straight face when films like Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians are nominated as "best picture"

To you "cost of entry" appears lower simply because you do not understand how the market worked in the old days
I WILL agree that every movie (no matter how good or how bad) gets a far larger distribution these days than at any time in history but the actual selection of films has decreased exponentially.

All that has done is hyper inflate the dollar totals they rack in
(As an example, *9* of the top grossing films of all time were released in 2016.... there is no film made before 2010 on the list...)

As to the two specific examples you listed above;
Netflix is BAD, it has gotten way worse since they got dropped by many studios (eg Disney)
If you ever stream a US service (Vudu, Hulu, AppleTV) you would never watch Netflix again
My account is free and I watch 10 hours or less per month

Game of Thrones is well made but it starts to fall apart once they get ahead of the books (some of the main character arcs like Brienne, Sansa and Littlefinger have become laughable since they veered off the canon)
I like Martin but as he has proved time and time again he just sucks at meeting deadlines.
You've got a very odd 'stick up your butt' about Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians, both movies I haven't seen, nor really care to, but you have maligned multiple times now.

As for winning 'best picture', the Oscars and all the other 'awards shows' are old guard industry self serving, that is all. What 'they' consider 'best' usually if not always completely contradicts what the public on the whole feels. There is a TON of politics behind those shows, as evidenced by the 'wokeness' that has so affected the winners this past year.

No, I don't consider whatever the 'industry' labels as best picture actually best picture. My first exposure to that ridiculousness was the accolades made about the movie The English Patient. It was SO bad that Jerry Seinfeld dedicated a WHOLE EPISODE to it! When I eventually saw it I felt Jerry went easy.

No, what I consider worthy of 'best' is irrelevant. What YOU consider 'best' is irrelevant.

I at no point said that 'movies today are better then the past', you are putting words into my mouth. I said video entertainment on the whole is better today, and that is because of the VARIETY. We are no longer constrained to the 2 or 3 new movies the studios deem worthy to release each week. We are no longer victim to the vagaries of TV scheduling and mid season cancellations that the big networks pulled on us. The sheer vastness of options has led to a situation where EVERYBODY will find more content THEY LIKE.

As for your comments on Netflix, you don't get it. The point of Netflix was at first to simply resell existing content. That was to establish a beach head, a subscriber base they could rely on to branch out. Now Netflix is a massive producer of original content, and THAT is where it shines. I rarely if every watch Netflix that isn't either the few old movies or shows I like (ST TNG is my current 'washing the dishes' show). No, I watch Netflix for the original content, and it BLOWS AWAY what the 'old guard' is producing today, mostly.

Anyways, we're swaying off topic here, this will be my last response to you on this subject.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2260 posts
1768 upvotes
GTA
m8uwot wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 7:00 pm
Prices were a little high if you didn't know what you were paying for, but snagged some criterion, blue underground, and code red releases while I was there

Is that the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I remember watching that for the first time, home alone in dark room... Freaked me out! One of the scariest movies ever made
Nov 29, 2011
558 posts
590 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
audit13 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 6:31 pm
Sometimes, I find the streaming picture to be comparable but it's the audio side of things that keep me going back to the original disc.
i found that esp on older films that were shot on film, compression can really kill the film grain and make things look ugly.

with the new streaming service, i found that with Mikey And Nicky, because of the way it was shot and the whole film takes place at night, i could see the compression really easily and it distracted me from just watching the story.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2497 posts
873 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 12:19 am
Damn, only one major store left: Bay Street Video.
What about the place next to Humber Cinema in Bloor West Village?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)