Expired Hot Deals

[Queen Video] Toronto - Queen Video closing sale. Final day April 18.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 9:36 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1331 posts
623 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 6:42 pm
I can't speak to VHQ or Cinemanow, but I know, personally, that Flixster and UltraViolet both provided migration choices to other services.

I still have my Flixster and UV content, just through other service providers.
Who does Flixster migrate to???
(Flixster also disabled many movies before shutdown; I suspect they lost digital rights as the movies show up in library but are no longer allowed to watch)

Ultraviolet I think is dead (USA only) unless there was another option?

*I personally "cheated" and brought most of my movies through a backdoor into Google Play by setting up a family share account with 1 Canadian and 1 USA email and linking the USA email to Movies Anywhere. But I did lose a few titles still
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Sep 1, 2013
706 posts
267 upvotes
Mississauga
Such a shame to see this store close. I'm a bit of a film buff and grew up in the Annex, so I'm quite familiar with the store (also the nearby Bloor Cinema, which sadly isn't what it used to be either). I don't live in the neighborhood anymore, I have to admit I'd hoped they would manage to stick around much longer than this. While streaming may be more convenient for short-term rentals and recent blockbusters, I'd have thought the many older couples still living in that area (and probably lots of hipsters, too) might keep the place going for longer than it might outside a dense urban center. Their selection of foreign and older films was certainly better than the vast majority of streaming services.

I do kind of question what the owner was saying about a lack of product, though. The major studios may not be releasing as much as they have in years past (they're slowly churning out 4K blu-rays of catalog favourites, though), however when you factor in the boutique labels, there's never been more releases of classic and cult cinema as is coming out today (and certainly never in as fantastic quality... most releases being sourced from brand new 4K scans and remasters). Companies like Arrow Video, Shout/Scream Factory, Blue Underground, Severin Films, Synapse, MVD, Scorpion Releasing, Code Red.... and in the UK you've got Powerhouse Indicator, Eureka, Second Sight, 88 FIlms and 101 Films. Titles from all of these labels can be found in Bay St Video, which is still thriving (to be fair, they also sell titles rather than merely renting). While physical media may become more niche, it's certainly still got some life in it and will be around for years to come.
Mar 24, 2015
227 posts
102 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
TM2Megatron wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 3:01 am
Such a shame to see this store close. I'm a bit of a film buff and grew up in the Annex, so I'm quite familiar with the store (also the nearby Bloor Cinema, which sadly isn't what it used to be either). I don't live in the neighborhood anymore, I have to admit I'd hoped they would manage to stick around much longer than this. While streaming may be more convenient for short-term rentals and recent blockbusters, I'd have thought the many older couples still living in that area (and probably lots of hipsters, too) might keep the place going for longer than it might outside a dense urban center. Their selection of foreign and older films was certainly better than the vast majority of streaming services.

I do kind of question what the owner was saying about a lack of product, though. The major studios may not be releasing as much as they have in years past (they're slowly churning out 4K blu-rays of catalog favourites, though), however when you factor in the boutique labels, there's never been more releases of classic and cult cinema as is coming out today (and certainly never in as fantastic quality... most releases being sourced from brand new 4K scans and remasters). Companies like Arrow Video, Shout/Scream Factory, Blue Underground, Severin Films, Synapse, MVD, Scorpion Releasing, Code Red.... and in the UK you've got Powerhouse Indicator, Eureka, Second Sight, 88 FIlms and 101 Films. Titles from all of these labels can be found in Bay St Video, which is still thriving (to be fair, they also sell titles rather than merely renting). While physical media may become more niche, it's certainly still got some life in it and will be around for years to come.
The cult/obscure/foreign film fans like us are the ones who suffer the most when physical media goes away; sure, we had Vinegar Syndrome streaming and now there's a Criterion channel on the way, but a lot of us rely on the companies you mentioned to see the films we want to see.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
kav2001c wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 11:29 am
Who does Flixster migrate to???
(Flixster also disabled many movies before shutdown; I suspect they lost digital rights as the movies show up in library but are no longer allowed to watch)

Ultraviolet I think is dead (USA only) unless there was another option?

*I personally "cheated" and brought most of my movies through a backdoor into Google Play by setting up a family share account with 1 Canadian and 1 USA email and linking the USA email to Movies Anywhere. But I did lose a few titles still
I recommend linking Flixster to Ultra Violet, link Ultra Violet to Vudu and FandangoNow, link Vudu, Google, and FandangoNow to Movies Anywhere. I have a single Google Play movies account where USA and Canadian films appear in all my accounts as long as the movie studio supports MA.
Last edited by audit13 on Mar 30th, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3028 posts
2459 upvotes
markust5775 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 11:36 am
The cult/obscure/foreign film fans like us are the ones who suffer the most when physical media goes away; sure, we had Vinegar Syndrome streaming and now there's a Criterion channel on the way, but a lot of us rely on the companies you mentioned to see the films we want to see.
Buy them online. The selection online is VASTLY more then any bricks and mortar store, you just have to search a bit, which is part of the fun.

I once ordered a CD from an African band from a France music website. If you look, you'll find it.
Sep 1, 2013
706 posts
267 upvotes
Mississauga
Can't believe I forgot Vinegar Syndrome. Although their output isn't for everyone (the erotic stuff, specifically), they do release some truly unique films as well as lower budget regional horror from the 70s and 80s that haven't seen the light of day for decades. They have their own film scanner, too, so they can give even the most obscure films a nice 4K scan. Most of the titles don't deserve to look anywhere near as good as Vinegar Syndrome manages to get them looking. Their blu-rays can be ordered directly from their website, and they offer free shipping to Canada for orders over $100 (pretty fast and tracked, too). Umbrella Entertainment in Australia is another boutique label that deserves a mention alongside the rest.

While my film collection can't compare to a store like Queen Video's, I have in the neighborhood of 1600 individual releases at the moment, comprising some 1900 actual titles when multi-film sets are broken down. Mostly domestic/North American, but a healthy chunk are also imported from countries all over Europe as well as Australia, Japan and Hong Kong (not a country, obviously, but HK has their own distinct releases from mainland China and are English friendly as they all tend to include English subs); and even one oddball release from Turkey, a 3-D film that hasn't been released (on 3-D blu-ray, at least) anywhere else in the world.
Nov 20, 2017
597 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
redkid wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 11:12 am
they have a basket of "$2 deals"
then blu rays mostly $8
I'm guessing just generic rental esk dvds of Hollywood films in that $2 basket?
Mar 24, 2015
227 posts
102 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
repatch wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 11:51 am
Buy them online. The selection online is VASTLY more then any bricks and mortar store, you just have to search a bit, which is part of the fun.

I once ordered a CD from an African band from a France music website. If you look, you'll find it.
For sure, but I was more commenting on the absence of physical media vs streaming.
Mar 24, 2015
227 posts
102 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
TM2Megatron wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 12:15 pm
Can't believe I forgot Vinegar Syndrome. Although their output isn't for everyone (the erotic stuff, specifically), they do release some truly unique films as well as lower budget regional horror from the 70s and 80s that haven't seen the light of day for decades. They have their own film scanner, too, so they can give even the most obscure films a nice 4K scan. Most of the titles don't deserve to look anywhere near as good as Vinegar Syndrome manages to get them looking. Their blu-rays can be ordered directly from their website, and they offer free shipping to Canada for orders over $100 (pretty fast and tracked, too). Umbrella Entertainment in Australia is another boutique label that deserves a mention alongside the rest.

While my film collection can't compare to a store like Queen Video's, I have in the neighborhood of 1600 individual releases at the moment, comprising some 1900 actual titles when multi-film sets are broken down. Mostly domestic/North American, but a healthy chunk are also imported from countries all over Europe as well as Australia, Japan and Hong Kong (not a country, obviously, but HK has their own distinct releases from mainland China and are English friendly as they all tend to include English subs); and even one oddball release from Turkey, a 3-D film that hasn't been released (on 3-D blu-ray, at least) anywhere else in the world.
Sounds like we've got similar tastes. :) .
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
17453 posts
14910 upvotes
Toronto
NOW Magazine has a good piece about this

https://nowtoronto.com/movies/features/ ... een-video/

As Queen Video goes dark, the Criterion Channel goes live

The cinephile streaming service launches just as a Toronto DVD institution calls it quits – but it will be years before movie lovers can stream everything, if at all
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7216 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody know if they have movie posters for sale there?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12509 posts
3108 upvotes
Toronto
markust5775 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 11:36 am
There's no reason why cult/obscure/foreign films can't move towards streaming services, like everything else is. I'm looking forward to that.
Streaming is ideal for these sorts of films because they would never get wide mainstream distribution anyways, no shelf distribution in most stores and discs are expensive to produce, ship, market.
Video stores are irrelevant and no longer financially viable, but I would like to see a streaming service that caters to less mainstream tastes.
Furthermore, in ten years or less they won't sell Blu Ray players, so inevitably everything needs to move to digital distribution.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2805 posts
610 upvotes
Ajax
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 10:00 am
There's no reason why cult/obscure/foreign films can't move towards streaming services, like everything else is. I'm looking forward to that.
Streaming is ideal for these sorts of films because they would never get wide mainstream distribution anyways, no shelf distribution in most stores and discs are expensive to produce, ship, market.
Video stores are irrelevant and no longer financially viable, but I would like to see a streaming service that caters to less mainstream tastes.
Furthermore, in ten years or less they won't sell Blu Ray players, so inevitably everything needs to move to digital distribution.
+1 Even Oppo Digital who made one of the best blu-ray players out there, went out of business last year. Writing on the wall.
Sep 1, 2013
706 posts
267 upvotes
Mississauga
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 10:00 am
You'd maybe be surprised by the selection of these genre films that already have been distributed on blu-ray, with even more schlock planned for the coming years.

The era of physical media may indeed one day come to an end, but I doubt as soon as some here predict; and by the time it does, pretty much anything you might ever want from the past decades will have been produced and avaliable for those who know to look.

The players themselves will certainly still be sold 10 years from now, just as record players are still sold today. Not at numerous a selection, maybe, but the enthusiast market will be enough to keep it alive at a niche level for years after that.
mrtvgame wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 1:04 pm
+1 Even Oppo Digital who made one of the best blu-ray players out there, went out of business last year. Writing on the wall.
Only for its place to be taken by 2 (or 1 in North America) high end 4k blu-ray players from Pioneer. Unlike in the regular blu-ray era, Oppo had more competition from the big name players like the above mentioned Pioneer, Sony and Panasonic; all of whom produce units of similar quality (build, playback, features) in similar price categories. Some even say Panasonic's two latest 4K blu-ray players beat the Oppo in terms of playback and features, and the cheaper of the two costs less than Oppo's. The higher priced Panasonic I is a little more than Oppo's 203, but built just as solid.

Samsung also gave up producing new blu-ray players (for the North American market, anyway) recently, also likely because they weren't willing to put the work in to compete with the others (Samsung players are generally thought of as the worst of the big brands, already).
Last edited by TM2Megatron on Apr 10th, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.