Queensville vs New Seaton

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 12:02 pm
Feb 6, 2008
174 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto

Queensville vs New Seaton

I am considering buying a new single detached house in a new development. From investment point of view witch of these 2 developments have more potential?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
more potential for what? Rental income, or for flipping?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Have you been to Queensville? I used to live in Aurora and I thought Queensville was too freaking far north... while I already lived too freaking far north. It's also a craphole with no amenities. I am not being a dink here but Queensville isn't a place for people to live. The only reason it is being developed is cause of the 404.

I've never been to Seaton. But how can it be worse than Queensville?
Feb 6, 2008
174 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Let me rephrase my question. In a long term with property has more potential to increase in price. Lets say in 5 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
dshul wrote: Let me rephrase my question. In a long term with property has more potential to increase in price. Lets say in 5 years.
"to the moon", is all you need to tell yourself.

However, if it were my money... Durham region would be where I'd invest. It's like a powder keg getting ready to explode (some parts already have).
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
isn't queensville more expensive?

durham is undervalued right now imo. north is ridiculously priced right now. ie 2800sq for 1.1million in newmarket/aurora
May 3, 2003
148 posts
86 upvotes
I would invest in New Seaton vs Queensville. IMO, ROI would be better in Durham
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Seaton borders Toronto and Markham. Plans for a Northern, cross town GO line. Close to the 401/407. 30-35 mins to Downtown on the weekend. I would go with Seaton but get in early and register, everything going up in that area is a hot mess when sales begin. Be prepared to spend a night lined up outside.
May 6, 2015
735 posts
220 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Durham easily. If you're looking at a net gain on your initial investment it's a no brainer. You get in cheap now (relatively speaking ofc b/c 700k for 2700 SQ is cheap when you look around GTA fora new development) and by the time of possession you'll see at least an 80k increase (roughly 2 years from booking to possession). I'm going based on my past experiences in Durham. Just waiting to see mattamy's next phase to compare my booking in first phase.

From the coughlan release alone I can see the prices jumping (this is within 30 days!). New seaton aleady states that detached will start from low 600s, this is already 30k more than the cheapest 30' lot that mattamy released. So You can see from this alone that builders are banking on the frequent jumps.

The reason I think it'll be better is b/c its already so close to York Region. You have 401 and 407 on both sides of the development. The only thing is that schools take a bit of time to be built but that's with any new phase. Otherwise my money is definitely on Durham to outperform.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Certain parts of Durham are still relatively cheap but you are living in the armpit of the GTA. Same goes for Brampton.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
fdl wrote: Certain parts of Durham are still relatively cheap but you are living in the armpit of the GTA. Same goes for Brampton.
Armpit of the GTA? Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, North Oshawa is hardly the armpit. I assume you don't live in Durham and make assumptions?
Jan 19, 2004
209 posts
48 upvotes
Kkhan15 wrote: Armpit of the GTA? Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, North Oshawa is hardly the armpit. I assume you don't live in Durham and make assumptions?
Haha I like the "North Oshawa" - quoted for truth. South Oshawa is the armpit of the GTA.
Jul 4, 2013
217 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
But are people moving to Durham because they really want to live there, or are they settling for it because it's all they can afford (for the type of housing they want)? Desirability and affordability are two different things and need to be taken into account when contemplating the long-term growth prospects of an area.

Sounds to me like this is a bit of a gold rush, with a good dose of market panic thrown in. There are very sound reasons for expecting appreciation (based on the past and current trends), but what I would be concerned about is the ability to carry that forward over the long-term.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1008 posts
710 upvotes
NorthYorkEd wrote: But are people moving to Durham because they really want to live there, or are they settling for it because it's all they can afford (for the type of housing they want)? Desirability and affordability are two different things and need to be taken into account when contemplating the long-term growth prospects of an area.

Sounds to me like this is a bit of a gold rush, with a good dose of market panic thrown in. There are very sound reasons for expecting appreciation (based on the past and current trends), but what I would be concerned about is the ability to carry that forward over the long-term.
I originally owned on the west side of the GTA and now currently in Durham. My opinion is with the recent infstructure investment to the area and the current value in RE is why you are seeing the increase. It would be premature and maybe unrealistic to compare west GTA to east currently, but I believe 10 yrs from now the gap will be much closer.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
NorthYorkEd wrote: But are people moving to Durham because they really want to live there, or are they settling for it because it's all they can afford (for the type of housing they want)? Desirability and affordability are two different things and need to be taken into account when contemplating the long-term growth prospects of an area.

Good points, I don't understand why Durham isn't more expensive then it is compared to rest of the GTA. Tons of big box stores/amenities all within a very short drive. Also It has the best go train system in the GTA. Express trains from Pickering get you downtown in 27 mins I believe. Also it has all day service because they use the CN/VIA lines. Good connectivity to the 401 and pretty damn close to the lake.

Yes it is not accessible to the west GTA (Brampton/Sauga/Oakville). Could that be the reason? Also property taxes are very high.
May 15, 2015
233 posts
65 upvotes
North York, ON
I was wondering the same thing. People living in NY RH or Vaughan can still access west GTA within reason. But commuting from Whitby to Mississauga every day will be a mental and physical challenge.

I'm guessing there is a price to pay for a central location?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
I was in Whitby this last weekend. North Whitby closer to Rossland --> Taunton was just like any other suburb in the GTA. New homes, big streets, and plazas everywhere. But anywhere south of Rossland was basically a dump. I don't think this was getting better if I had gone further east into Oshawa or west into Ajax - Pickering.

Really not the most pleasurable place to live in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
[quote="abc123yyz" post_id="25220577" time="1456253618" user_id="767216"]Good points, I don't understand why Durham isn't more expensive then it is compared to rest of the GTA. Tons of big box stores/amenities all within a very short drive. Also It has the best go train system in the GTA. Express trains from Pickering get you downtown in 27 mins I believe. Also it has all day service because they use the CN/VIA lines. Good connectivity to the 401 and pretty damn close to the lake.

Yes it is not accessible to the west GTA (Brampton/Sauga/Oakville). Could that be the reason? Also property taxes are very high.[/QUOTE

I moved from Brampton to Ajax. I do not miss it one bit. Such a close, family tied community and no more police raids every month lol. But I will say, when we moved in '13 Ajax was much, much cheaper! Now, it is more expensive then Brampton when you compare. At least in my area, you cannot get a 4 bedroom, 2 car garage under $700k. Brampton for similar age you can find them. I think Durham is now being seen as desirable due to prices, but demand is making those prices jump pretty fast! I'm glad I bought when I did.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Ck2 wrote: Haha I like the "North Oshawa" - quoted for truth. South Oshawa is the armpit of the GTA.
LOL. Thats because it is the Armpit haha! But North Durham is amazing. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I can actually see stars.
Jan 1, 2021
1 posts
Hi:
Any one has Queensville Phase 2 or 3 at around Nov/Dec 2016 price list by Aspen Ridge? Appreciate if anyone can share it with me as I need it to compare with today's price. Thank you!

Cathy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)