• Sep 29th, 2020 6:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2740 posts
2340 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Question about Air Fryer

I see so many people talk about using Air Fryer. It seem to be a good small appliance with very low price point.

However what stop me from getting one is I am worry it is difficult to clean.
I know most parts can put into dish washer, but what about the top part with the heating element???
You can't really wash it, so will it be very gross after couple use?
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
17 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
We have had ours for 3 yeas and all that is required is to wipe it out. Remember that stuff does not get into it as it is the heater and a fan. Air is being blown from it, not sucked into it.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jul 20, 2016
562 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
have both ninja foodi and a ninja grill .. both double as air fryer

i mostly just hand wash the parts like the trays and basket in the sink pretty effortless as grease and gunk come right off

top top part does look gross but there's a filter screen that you can detach and wash so it's not as bad looking
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
Some are better than others.

If you're cooking anything with a fair bit of fat, the fan does blow it around really well. Since most of the elements (including the element) aren't removable, grease can build up behind it.
It also expels grease. My wall is covered in a thick brown film.

Some trays and baskets are so stupidly designed that they're impossible to clean. Philips comes to mind here.
The mesh basket eats literally everything you throw at it both in terms of food sticking and scrubbing products getting caught.
The air flow director in the outer shell is also some weird combination of stick and non stick that quickly becomes stick. So it gets gunked up requiring scrubbing by hand.

My cuisinart is better since things are flat and the grill is spaced apart, but even that has issues.

The dishwasher won't save you either. The burnt on everything wins.
Nov 30, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
I just throw mine in the dishwasher, everything just cleans off like a breeze. I've never had an issue
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: Some are better than others.

If you're cooking anything with a fair bit of fat, the fan does blow it around really well. Since most of the elements (including the element) aren't removable, grease can build up behind it.
It also expels grease. My wall is covered in a thick brown film.
I place my Philips Air Fryer near the cook top and turn on the extractor fan. Solves that problem.
Some trays and baskets are so stupidly designed that they're impossible to clean. Philips comes to mind here.
The mesh basket eats literally everything you throw at it both in terms of food sticking and scrubbing products getting caught.
The air flow director in the outer shell is also some weird combination of stick and non stick that quickly becomes stick. So it gets gunked up requiring scrubbing by hand.
Part of it may be oil used. The stuff that forms a gummy film (e.g., sunflower oil) should be avoided.

The TefAl Acti-Fryer is actually quite good as far as cleaning goes. Much better than the Philips.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
Air fryers are just a fancy word for convection ovens.
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
i've been using one for the past 18 months and i really don't use a dishwasher but prefer to handwash it. i clean every bit of it and so far there has been no issue. And you have to clean it everytime you use it as it is very important. It'll smell funny when you use it the next time if you don't clean it. The heating element can be cleaned with a wet cloth or a brush as there will be chances of food residues to be stuck in.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Youse1953 wrote: i've been using one for the past 18 months and i really don't use a dishwasher but prefer to handwash it. i clean every bit of it and so far there has been no issue. And you have to clean it everytime you use it as it is very important. It'll smell funny when you use it the next time if you don't clean it. The heating element can be cleaned with a wet cloth or a brush as there will be chances of food residues to be stuck in.
I rather not wash it than do. Whenever I wash mine (Philips Air Fryer), the detergent seems to react with the oil film residue (sunflower oil) which cannot be scrubbed off and when it's heated, emits a noxious smell.

At any rate, I've found a TefAl Acti-fryer works great for fries and other veg (and easier to clean up, even with sunflower oil, other than for the window) so the Philips Air Fryer has been relegated to reheating pizza, rendering chicken skin, and cooking chicken parts.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote: Air fryers are just a fancy word for convection ovens.
In principle but not in practice.

An oven is low flow air in a large space, not close to the same effectivness as an air fryer..
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Aug 3, 2017
524 posts
351 upvotes
Have had the T-Fal Actifry for almost a year and we swear by it. Restaurant quality fries with less oil than you need to put potatoes in the oven. Not to mention wings, vegetables, etc. It is far easier to clean than a pan out of the oven, usually just a wipe of the pan and depending what was cooked a little wash of the paddle. Super simple and we use it at least a few nights a week. Very convenient when the oven has something else in there too to have the second open for cooking something. Be sure to buy one when there's a sale, we got ours for just north of $100, I know the regular prices can be a fair bit higher.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
dolfan1980 wrote: Have had the T-Fal Actifry for almost a year and we swear by it. Restaurant quality fries with less oil than you need to put potatoes in the oven.
I find I cannot get fries from home-cut ("real"?) potatoes that I cut to be as crispy as real deep-fried, or McCain's frozen (they must be coated in oil?) Does a much better job than the Philips Air Fryer though.
Be sure to buy one when there's a sale, we got ours for just north of $100, I know the regular prices can be a fair bit higher.
Better yet, get it for free. Found a giveaway from some dude downsizing earlier this year.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
thriftshopper wrote: I find I cannot get fries from home-cut ("real"?) potatoes that I cut to be as crispy as real deep-fried, or McCain's frozen (they must be coated in oil?) Does a much better job than the Philips Air Fryer though.

Better yet, get it for free. Found a giveaway from some dude downsizing earlier this year.
Real fries made at home require a combination of poaching, drying, freezing and double frying. This is of course changes the dynamics when not using oil, it's a given.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
I place my Philips Air Fryer near the cook top and turn on the extractor fan. Solves that problem.
My problem is that my extractor fan doesn't work.
I blame contractor grade appliances.

Part of it may be oil used. The stuff that forms a gummy film (e.g., sunflower oil) should be avoided.
I don't use any oil. This is from the accumulated fat that drips off the food and gets aerosolized.
thriftshopper wrote: I find I cannot get fries from home-cut ("real"?) potatoes that I cut to be as crispy as real deep-fried,
I'm not sure it's possible to be honest simply due to physics.
To get really good fries even out of a deep fryer takes a lot of work.

I've challenged quite a few people to produce literally any recipe that makes good fries.
I'd be willing to go as far as buying the specific device they use and I have precision tools like calipers to ensure the fries are exactly sized.
So far no one has put up anything.
or McCain's frozen (they must be coated in oil?) Does a much better job than the Philips Air Fryer though.
Those are typically par fried which do well in an oven (or air "fryer") because they've already been fried.
You're essentially just heating it up.
Same reason my "fried chicken" does okay in an oven because I par fried it but comes out like a dumpster fire if I try to bake it from fresh.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
@death_hawk and thriftshopper - I know this sounds out there and off topic but I was told way back in the day not to put a toaster oven, Air Fryer etc. next to a gas cooktop - and we don't have a lot of space - the space we have being next to said gas cooktop. I was told this by 2 different people plus it was in the instructions for the toaster oven. Do either of you have a gas cooktop? Electric is not apparently an issue.

We had to have some electrical work done last year so we put a dedicated electrical plug across from the cooktop - one that could handle say a window air conditioner so we can use it with a larger toaster oven. Of course our fan is over said gas cooktop.

Obviously we don't know a lot about what you can and can't do but at least I know that a small freezer (which we don't have) takes a dedicated circuit! I guess there are people worse than my husband and me out there.