Cell Phones

Question about Blackberry Internet Service (BIS)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2008 11:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2292 posts
120 upvotes

Question about Blackberry Internet Service (BIS)

I currently own a Blackberry Curve 8310 and I am subscribed to the $30 6gb 3G Blackberry data plan.

My question - Is there a way I can use my current blackberry data plan on a non-blackberry smartphone? I know that the push e-mail feature would NOT be supported on a non-blackberry phone. I just want to be able to surf the internet on a non-blackberry phone using a blackberry data plan?

Possible? Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3492 posts
915 upvotes
you need to call them and have them switch you to the non-blackberry version but i dont know if they'll renew your plan though... and restart the 3 years all over again
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2292 posts
120 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: you need to call them and have them switch you to the non-blackberry version but i dont know if they'll renew your plan though... and restart the 3 years all over again
That means they will permanently switch me over to the the non-blackberry data plan. Thats not what I want to accomplish. I will be using Blackberry phones for the rest of my life; however, I would like to use other phones for an occasional change.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3492 posts
915 upvotes
it's not possible then. the bb plans are for bb and data plans are for data phones (windows mobile and iphone etc) and one will not work for others.

you can use your sim card on the non-bb phone... your voice will work, your data will not. i dont think there's anyway around it
Dec 27, 2007
100 posts
4 upvotes
Actually, the Blackberry plan works fine on any smartphone. It's the same data plan, but allows access to the Blackberry APN / BIS. There's a great FAQ over in the Rogers section of HowardForums that answers this.

Unfortunately, it's a one way street. A normal data plan won't have any BIS connectivity... meaning no love for Blackberry users.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
There's 3 different 6GB/$30 plans

iPhone 6GB Data Package
Blackberry 6GB Data Package
Smartphone 6GB Data Package

I just switched from an iPhone to the Blackberry Bold, and when I called in to setup my BIS, it didn't allow the rep cause it was the iPhone data package. So I had to call customer service and get that switched to the Blackberry one.

So since the rep told me that there was different 6GB data packages, I'm assuming there is a smartphone one because if you have an N95 or something, it doesn't classify as a Blackberry or an iPhone.
Dec 27, 2007
100 posts
4 upvotes
al3x89 wrote: There's 3 different 6GB/$30 plans

iPhone 6GB Data Package
Smartphone 6GB Data Package

I just switched from an iPhone to the Blackberry Bold, and when I called in to setup my BIS, it didn't allow the rep cause it was the iPhone data package. So I had to call customer service and get that switched to the Blackberry one.

So since the rep told me that there was different 6GB data packages, I'm assuming there is a smartphone one because if you have an N95 or something, it doesn't classify as a Blackberry or an iPhone.
Did you speak to a normal CSR, or a data rep? To my knowledge, there's only two 6GB plans:

Blackberry 6GB Data Plan - BB6GBIS3
Smartphone 6GB Data Plan - DAT6GBX3

The iPhone doesn't require access to any special APN/data service, so it falls under the Smartphone category.

The important thing to remember is that Blackberry plans work on any smartphone, whereas the Smartphone plan will work on anything but Blackberries. I've helped my friends get the plans added to their packages, and I usually add the Blackberry plan for them in case they decide to go to the light (RIM) in the future. :D
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8213 posts
843 upvotes
Brampton
theres only codes in the system for 2. The smartphone(includes iphone) and the BB data.

The Smartphone allows only to APN(internet.com) whereas the BB version allows to both APN and BIS.

You will not be charged for using different devices with the BB plan.

I bought the BB plan using my 8310 as the registered device, then switched the sim card into my iphone and data worked. Also received my last months bill there were no extra charges.

The only thing I heard might not work with the BB plan is visual voicemail for the iphone but i'm not sure about that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2292 posts
120 upvotes
cybo wrote: Did you speak to a normal CSR, or a data rep? To my knowledge, there's only two 6GB plans:

Blackberry 6GB Data Plan - BB6GBIS3
Smartphone 6GB Data Plan - DAT6GBX3

The iPhone doesn't require access to any special APN/data service, so it falls under the Smartphone category.

The important thing to remember is that Blackberry plans work on any smartphone, whereas the Smartphone plan will work on anything but Blackberries. I've helped my friends get the plans added to their packages, and I usually add the Blackberry plan for them in case they decide to go to the light (RIM) in the future. :D
thats the answer i was looking for! thanks cybo. so you are pretty much saying that if I pop in the sim card from my BB curve to my N95, I will be able to surf data on my N95 with the BIS - JUST that I won't be able to enjoy the push email correct?

if the answer is yes, sweetness!
Dec 27, 2007
100 posts
4 upvotes
It's not BIS you'll be using... but the general idea is right. You'll have everything but BIS push email. Browsing & apps will work fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2292 posts
120 upvotes
cybo wrote: It's not BIS you'll be using... but the general idea is right. You'll have everything but BIS push email. Browsing & apps will work fine.
thanks again for answering my curiosity sir :)
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1616 upvotes
North York
the bb 6 gig plan will work on bb and normal phones because it has both apn setting already.
Jul 24, 2006
972 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I'm still a little confused call me a noob (which I am). But having a bis plan will work for iphone?? or will I need to call Rogers rep and have them change my bis plan to a regular iphone data plan??
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28646 posts
1312 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
al3x89 wrote: ....iPhone 6GB Data Package
Smartphone 6GB Data Package.....
O-kay.
mattress wrote: I'm still a little confused call me a noob (which I am). But having a bis plan will work for iphone?? or will I need to call Rogers rep and have them change my bis plan to a regular iphone data plan??
Having the BB Data plan will work with any cellphone yes...wasn't this said a few times in the thread already? :o

If you ask them to change your 6Gb, expect to say good-bye to it in a few minutes. It will NOT be possible to reinstate it hehe. Tread Carefully.

it's actually n00b :D .
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)