Question about Canadian Tire refund card

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 11:50 pm
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
692 posts
761 upvotes

Question about Canadian Tire refund card

So last yr we bought stuff for $400 + tax= $452.00. We earned $1.60 back in CT money.
We returned the stuff outside of the 90 day mark since the product was defective and they would not fix it. So they give us a $452.00 refund card. They also took back the $1.60 CT money. Now,as we use the refund card, we should be earning back our CT money. So if we used the refund card up, we should get back the $1.60. But we used most of it and we havent got any CT money back. Do we even get CT money back on refund card. I mean the money in it is ours. If thats the case, they should have kept our CT money in our account because they know we are gonna use the refund card. Then that would make sense. Or maybe they would refund it after we use up all of the card
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3584 posts
2271 upvotes
Kitchener
I’m trying to understand what you mean by ‘refund card’. Help me understand.

I am taking a stab in the dark here: You purchased something with either cash or credit, but you had no receipt so you couldn’t get the money back to your method of payment. So they gave you a gift card for $452. With the purchases, you apparently earned $1.60 (which seems really low). Now you are using the gift card to purchase items, but you’re not getting Canadian Tire money. However, the problem might be that your gift card isn’t linked to your Canadian Tire money account.

Am I even close?
Why can't we all just get along?
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
692 posts
761 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: I’m trying to understand what you mean by ‘refund card’. Help me understand.

I am taking a stab in the dark here: You purchased something with either cash or credit, but you had no receipt so you couldn’t get the money back to your method of payment. So they gave you a gift card for $452. With the purchases, you apparently earned $1.60 (which seems really low). Now you are using the gift card to purchase items, but you’re not getting Canadian Tire money. However, the problem might be that your gift card isn’t linked to your Canadian Tire money account.

Am I even close?
No your wrong but ima explain
1. We bought a bike for $400 + tax= $452.00 on credit. It broke after a few months so we brought it to Cdn Tire to fix it. They held on it for 3 months and they never fixed it. So we asked the manager for a refund.
2. Instead of a refund on the credit card, he gave us a refund card. Now refund card and a gift card is totally different.
3. Now we are using up the refund card, we havent got any CT money from those purchases.

1.60 CT seems right (400.00 x 0.4%)= 1.60
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12436 posts
8944 upvotes
Edmonton
Unknown18281 wrote: No your wrong but ima explain
1. We bought a bike for $400 + tax= $452.00 on credit. It broke after a few months so we brought it to Cdn Tire to fix it. They held on it for 3 months and they never fixed it. So we asked the manager for a refund.
2. Instead of a refund on the credit card, he gave us a refund card. Now refund card and a gift card is totally different.
3. Now we are using up the refund card, we havent got any CT money from those purchases.

1.60 CT seems right (400.00 x 0.4%)= 1.60
When you made your first purchase with your "refund card" and didn't get your $0.37 in CT money, wouldn't it have made sense to ask the clerk or manager why at that point? Or to reach out and contact CT directly?

C
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
692 posts
761 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: When you made your first purchase with your "refund card" and didn't get your $0.37 in CT money, wouldn't it have made sense to ask the clerk or manager why at that point? Or to reach out and contact CT directly?

C
Yea true but I asking here to see if anyone else had the same problem
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2805 posts
1467 upvotes
It's been a really long time since I've had a refund card from CT, but I don't remember any issue collecting CT money from it. Are you sure you are scanning your eCT money barcode (or providing phone number) when you make the purchases?
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
692 posts
761 upvotes
RubberCheese wrote: It's been a really long time since I've had a refund card from CT, but I don't remember any issue collecting CT money from it. Are you sure you are scanning your eCT money barcode (or providing phone number) when you make the purchases?
Yep