Personal Finance

Question about Credit Report

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2010 11:54 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
60 posts

Question about Credit Report

So I got my credit report and credit score and I wanted to ask a few questions.

Do accounts like my cellphone with Rogers, not show up on the credit report? It's not listed anywhere at all.

I've had a couple of late payments on my credit card, but in the credit report no late payments have been reported within the last 6 years under that card. Is this an error? Or did VISA just threaten me and never followed through?

I've also had a small amount (under 20$), sent to a collection agency a few months back. UPS charged me a fee which I refused to pay them (I know, stupid) so they sent it to collections. But on my credit report, nothing is listed there. There are no records under collections. Again, error? Or did they just not bother reporting since it was so low.

Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone can clear these up for me.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4249 posts
800 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Firstly, mistakes can be made, so make sure you have your report and not someone elses.

Is your cellphone plan with Rogers billed monthly? On a contract? They do check credit when you first sign up (unless you signed up before they started doing that), but they may not report it. I don't believe they should report, or even check credit reports, but that's another matter.

Late payments is up to the card issuer to report. They may not bother if they get paid. If they don't get paid, then they will probably report + send it to collections.

Which leads to your last question. Again, they probably didn't bother to report it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19793 posts
4386 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Credit bureaus don't care about late credit card payments unless they are at least 30 days late.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
May 24, 2007
509 posts
9 upvotes
xbam wrote: I've also had a small amount (under 20$), sent to a collection agency a few months back. UPS charged me a fee which I refused to pay them (I know, stupid) so they sent it to collections.
I think they need your date of birth or SIN to report to credit bureau. Can anyone confirm?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19793 posts
4386 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
peter_ross wrote: I think they need your date of birth or SIN to report to credit bureau. Can anyone confirm?
Nope.
The SIN is not needed to report to credit bureau and it's also not needed to get a copy of your credit report.

However if you have a common name or something, you might have problems where the wrong person's info gets reported on your bureau report.

Personally, I never give out my SIN unless required by law. Fortunately for me, I also have a very uncommon name. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6843 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Have you checked both TransUnion and Equifax?
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
60 posts
Thanks for your replies.

Actually I did grab both TransUnion and Equifax and its the same thing. TransUnion shows Rogers making an inquiry when I first signed up for the account, but thats it, its not listed anywhere else. It is a monthly bill on contract.

I know the report is mine, I provided the SIN + all other information matches up perfectly and makes sense. So that all checks out.

As for the payments, the couple of times I missed last year it went over 30 days, I think 1 I paid about 35 days after it was due, the 2nd late one was made about 40-45 days. In both cases I was told this was going to be reported, but I guess it never was as it shows up 0 late payments.

I just wanted to clear this up with someone who might have more knowledge to make sure TU or Equifax are showing me everything.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
60 posts
Also, I wanted to ask. If I pay the collections that 16$ payment I owe UPS, is there a chance they might report it then as it was sent to collections but now its paid? Or should I just not bother since they didnt bother reporting it anyway? Thoughts?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19793 posts
4386 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
xbam wrote: Also, I wanted to ask. If I pay the collections that 16$ payment I owe UPS, is there a chance they might report it then as it was sent to collections but now its paid? Or should I just not bother since they didnt bother reporting it anyway? Thoughts?
Yeah it might show as a collections item that was paid, but that is much better than a collections item that was settled or never paid.

Btw, most collectors are scum. Get the full amount in writing first and then send them a cheque. NEVER allow electronic debit.
Mar 8, 2009
623 posts
27 upvotes
xbam wrote: So I got my credit report and credit score and I wanted to ask a few questions.

Do accounts like my cellphone with Rogers, not show up on the credit report? It's not listed anywhere at all.

I've had a couple of late payments on my credit card, but in the credit report no late payments have been reported within the last 6 years under that card. Is this an error? Or did VISA just threaten me and never followed through?

I've also had a small amount (under 20$), sent to a collection agency a few months back. UPS charged me a fee which I refused to pay them (I know, stupid) so they sent it to collections. But on my credit report, nothing is listed there. There are no records under collections. Again, error? Or did they just not bother reporting since it was so low.

Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone can clear these up for me.
Depends what kind of bureau you pulled. Two types, Trans Union and Equifax.

That being said; some companies report to one bureau. Some to the other. Most use Trans Union. Equifax is more of a written statement about your credit, whereas TU is more number related.

Rogers reports to TU. Trust me.

If there are no collection accounts on your bureau, then run with that. Keep an eye on your bureau and keep up the payments. That's about it.
Independent Contract Collection Agent

Collection Question? Querry? Myth?
Solve it here:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/coll ... ad-809943/