None
[OP]
Nov 25, 2012
22 posts
1 upvote
Alberton

Question about DSLRs

is there any good deals on DSLR's left? somewhere in the range of 1000$

should mention it's for a first time buyer moving up from point and shoot.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2064 posts
1136 upvotes
I recommended a used Rebel series DSLR. Easy to learn and fun to use. Hope this helps
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
332 upvotes
Best Buy has the following,

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/can ... tore=canon

Which is more than enough for anyone looking to dabble into more advanced photography with greater control options.

Are you after better quality or a more feature rich experience? If you want to actually learn how to take better photos and use custom/p/manual options so you can decide how you want to shoot than the DSLRs are well worth it.
If you want to leave it at "green" and just assume that the camera is going to produce stellar images than there plenty of other options from Sony/Fuji/Canon that might do it better for you. I see far to many people lugging DSLRs and not really knowing how to use them. Have some in my immediate family (:
Jan 21, 2012
71 posts
8 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Deal Grabber wrote: Best Buy has the following,

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/can ... tore=canon

Which is more than enough for anyone looking to dabble into more advanced photography with greater control options.

Are you after better quality or a more feature rich experience? If you want to actually learn how to take better photos and use custom/p/manual options so you can decide how you want to shoot than the DSLRs are well worth it.
If you want to leave it at "green" and just assume that the camera is going to produce stellar images than there plenty of other options from Sony/Fuji/Canon that might do it better for you. I see far to many people lugging DSLRs and not really knowing how to use them. Have some in my immediate family (:
Agree that the above is more than enough for anyone (though I would go for a kit with a stabilized 55-250mm rather than an unstabilized 70-300mm... see http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b ... 9d5735en02)

Honestly, don't spend the full $1,000. Most of the mid-range dSLRs are going to have very similar image quality to the more affordable lower-end options.

You could probably get something like the 70D... http://www.photoprice.ca/product/04899/ ... price.html with your budget, but for the most part, the images will be similar to something like the T6... http://www.photoprice.ca/product/06076/ ... price.html (or maybe the T6i)

Most improved image quality beyond just getting a dSLR in the first place comes from you knowing how to use it as well as the lens you put on it (fyi definitely get a 50mm f/1.8 to go with). If you really grow into it, you'll end up wanting to upgrade to something else (like the 6D) before you know it. So I think spending extra to get a more mid-range "prosumer" dSLR really isn't worth it. Maybe a few years ago when the lower-end cameras were really lacking in MP, video functionality, etc... but even the lowest end current dSLRs are so advanced at this point.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5308 posts
1142 upvotes
I second going the used route. Check the BST forum as there's always people catching the upgrade bug. Stick with the rebel series for now and work your way up. Prices have been pretty high for the most part for new cameras lately anyways so probably get more bang for your buck buying used. Keep you're eye out at SDM's. I find the odd rebel with kit lens there on clearance every now and then.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1669 posts
588 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RoyalRed wrote: thank you for the responses, I kinda figured that I didn't need something overly expensive but I was worried that spending a bit less now would mean it would be outdated too soon to be worth doing so.
definitely not. the camera is only a tool. the money you save will be spend on better lenses. once you have those lenses and push the camera to its limit, it'll be time to change camera. there's no point getting a good camera and using budget lenses as the lenses will be the limiting factor
Dec 20, 2016
40 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver BC
People will argue Canon or Nikon until the cows come home. The cold hard truth of it is in the lower end, for DSLR, Nikon has better still image quality for the cost according to technical measurements. To an extent it doesn't matter any more, as most people are just viewing images online, posting to Facebook etc, and for that purpose any of the cameras work. Most people buying their first DSLR won't be pixel peeping.

I'd go for the D5300 myself. It's the camera I would buy right now if I was going to get another DX DSLR (well, D5500, but they're more or less the same). Nikon has a better sensor over the T5i mentioned earlier and a longer warranty. Both lenses that come with this kit are VR (anti shake) whereas the Canon 75-300 is a low end lens meant to sway the consumers into thinking they're getting a great deal on a bundle.

If you can, go into a store and demo a camera. See which feels better in the hands and which menu is more intuitive. Which camera feels better and easier to use. In the end that's what it comes down to for me at least. Either way you'll get a decent camera. But I'd suggest at this price Nikon is the way to go.
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
332 upvotes
Long time Canon user, but I agree with the above post. If you are starting DSLR right now, Nikon seems like the better route due to better Dynamic Range. I still think Canon has better Ergonomics, less exhausting menus, skin tones and yes the Holy Grail 1.2 lenses (:

OP - you can't go wrong with what you have linked, it seems like a great little bundle and a kit that can serve you well for quite sometime.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4722 posts
1514 upvotes
Debtario
I agree, go used. DSLRs last a very long time and even several year old/previous gen models will still run circles around just about any point and shoot in features and image quality.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2879 posts
267 upvotes
I'm still using my 4 year old Nikon D7000 camera. It's important to really try out the camera in store as I didn't like Canon's Aperture and Sub Command dial placements.

Also, once you commit to a brand (Nikon, Canon or Sony) you will be heavily invested in all of their products, from lenses to speedlights, so it's important to figure out which brand suits your needs. Eg. Nikon's 14-24 f2.8 lens has many Canon shooters getting adapters just so they can use the lens.
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
332 upvotes
RunOrDie wrote: I'm still using my 4 year old Nikon D7000 camera. It's important to really try out the camera in store as I didn't like Canon's Aperture and Sub Command dial placements.

Also, once you commit to a brand (Nikon, Canon or Sony) you will be heavily invested in all of their products, from lenses to speedlights, so it's important to figure out which brand suits your needs. Eg. Nikon's 14-24 f2.8 lens has many Canon shooters getting adapters just so they can use the lens.
While that was true until 2014 it isn't the case anymore. The new Canon UWAs are just as good if not better. Not to mention the 11-24 is a whopping 3mm wider and just as sharp if not more.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2879 posts
267 upvotes
Deal Grabber wrote: While that was true until 2014 it isn't the case anymore. The new Canon UWAs are just as good if not better. Not to mention the 11-24 is a whopping 3mm wider and just as sharp if not more.
A little bit wider, but still not as fast :)
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
332 upvotes
RunOrDie wrote: A little bit wider, but still not as fast :)
Not meaning to start an age old debate but 11mm is a lot wider than 14mm, especially for rectilinear lenses. I don't think there's anything wider in the market at this time.
Secondly, aperture doesn't matter as much for landscape unless one is doing astro.

Regardless, the point made made was that 14-24 isn't the holy grail it once was.

Enjoy shooting.