Careers

Question about education evaluation of a Canadian citizen for a TN visa application for working in USA

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 11:32 am
[OP]
Jun 3, 2019
3 posts

Question about education evaluation of a Canadian citizen for a TN visa application for working in USA

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada now. Currently I am preparing documents to apply a TN Visa to work in USA. Because I got my bachelor degree in Chinese university, so I need to get an education evaluation. Because evaluation agencies in Canada are really slow processing, so I am going to get an evaluation from a United States evaluation agency who will complete in shorter time.

However, my US employer said because I am a Canadian citizen and going to move from Canada to USA, I MUST get an education evaluation report from a Canada evaluation agency instead of a US agency as per NAFTA requirement. Otherwise, the CBP officer might not accept it.

Is this true? Besides, is there a list of designated education evaluation agencies in United States which is similar to a list of designated Canada agencies?

Thanks,
Wei
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5616 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
I would look for an immigration forum to ask that question as I suspect you might not find anyone here with that level of expertise but I suspect that if the employer is saying it has to be a Canadian evaluation, he's probably already gone through it and he's just speaking from experience.

That said, if it was me, I would contact the POE you are planning to go through to get the TN and ask them. Get the officer's name. Ultimately, they are the ones that will decide and it wouldn't be the first time that POE officers use their own interpretation.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
Bay Area
haorenweiwei wrote: However, my US employer said because I am a Canadian citizen and going to move from Canada to USA, I MUST get an education evaluation report from a Canada evaluation agency instead of a US agency as per NAFTA requirement. Otherwise, the CBP officer might not accept it.
I'm almost inclined to say your employer is wrong about this, but given the chaotic Trump administration, maybe it depends on the adjudicating officer.
haorenweiwei wrote: It's a position in Computer System Analyst category.
Ok I think your employer is just trying to be 100% safe. CSAs get a lot more scrutiny than all other TN categories, because they want to make sure you aren't just going to be "yet another code monkey". (computer programmers are NOT eligible for a TN) This was already the case under Obama, and given Trump's attitude towards onshore outsourcing firms, I think that might be why your employer is saying those things.

In any case, explain to your employer all Canadian agencies are severely backlogged, and see what they say.
Apr 15, 2012
95 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
haorenweiwei wrote: Thanks for your suggestion.

Hi,

What did you end up doing? I am currently in the same boat. I need to get my credentials evaluated. Not sure where to start.

Thanks