• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 9:29 am
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario

Question about fuse panel upgrade

I am about to move into a home in east gwillimbury that has some electrical issues. Aside from some small electrical issues, the main thing I want done is the circuit board needs to be replaced from glass fuses to breakers.
I do not want to spend a ton of money and do not want to spend a "premium rate" for these electricians.

How much would this cost roughly? I have 100 amp fuse panel and want a 100 amp breaker panel.
Secondly, can someone recommend a FAIRLY PRICED electrician in east gwillimbury?
Last edited by rfd4life4ever on Feb 18th, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
Just remember...good electrical work isn't cheap....and cheap electrical work isn't good...you get what you pay for. Best way to find a qualified electrical contractor in your area is to go to esasafe.com and find someone nearby.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1906 posts
1416 upvotes
GTA West
Nobody here can give you an estimate of a fair price on a project with so many variables. Depending on the type and age of your house wiring, you may need additional work.

This not the type of work to cheap out on - you need to ensure the work is done to code and that you get an ESA certificate - it will help with your house insurance. Bite the bullet and get several quotes from licensed trades as a first step.

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6843 upvotes
Brampton
For a straight panel swap nothing else you're looking at $1-2k.

But as mentioned there's too many variables. You might have to bring those circuits up to modern code Ifyou touch them then you're easily at $10k
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Thank you for the replies everybody. I was told by the home inspector that only the panel needs to be replaced as the homes wiring has a ground and is copper.
So as @tebore mentioned between 1-2k is what I am expecting to pay more or less.
Now can anyone suggest an electrician in East Gwillimbury to give me a quote? Prefer an "RFD PRICED" electrician if you know what I mean ;-)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33803 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Look for Mr Sparky in the forums. He is in your backyard and a qualified electrician.

Welcome to the neighbourhood
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1393 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
Why does he want you to change the panel? Fuses are actually safer than breakers however they can easily be over sized or replaced with coins :( Breakers are convenient but there is nothing wrong with having fuses.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2988 posts
1234 upvotes
In what way are fuses safer than breakers?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote: Look for Mr Sparky in the forums. He is in your backyard and a qualified electrician.

Welcome to the neighbourhood
Thank you! I will get in touch with him.
crazdefool wrote: Why does he want you to change the panel? Fuses are actually safer than breakers however they can easily be over sized or replaced with coins :( Breakers are convenient but there is nothing wrong with having fuses.
It was not mandatory but one of the fuse areas is black and charred from a melt down. I want the panel replaced but it's not mandatory.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2988 posts
1234 upvotes
crazdefool wrote: They trip faster.
So that makes them safer? Any standard circuit breaker trips quickly enough, so why does that make them safer?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6728 posts
2302 upvotes
GTA
rfd4life4ever wrote: It was not mandatory but one of the fuse areas is black and charred from a melt down. I want the panel replaced but it's not mandatory.
You can just have the charred fuse holder replaced, most people aren't aware that's an option.
Is this a Federal Pioneer panel?....if so ignore suggestion above and proceed with panel upgrade.