Travel

Question about Interline Baggage Agreement between Eva Airways and Air Canada (both members of Star Alliance)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2017 9:35 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

Question about Interline Baggage Agreement between Eva Airways and Air Canada (both members of Star Alliance)

My daughter is coming home via Taipei-Los Angeles--YYZ and her baggage claim sticker shows the following:

YYZ AC788
LAX BR12

She asked the ticketing counter of Eva Air in Taipei and was told she had to pick up her two luggage at the carousel at LAX but looking at the baggage claim sticker (but the check in personnel didn't seem sure about his answer), it seems the luggage are enroute to Toronto already. When I checked her in just a few minutes ago, I didn't have to pay $25 and $35 for the checked in luggage and there was a note to check baggage requirements with the first airline (but that's irrelevant because she had already checked in with EVA physically) but I was only able to do her Air Canada check in this morning.

Flying to the Far East, she was traveling entire on Eva so we didn't encounter the same interline baggage potential problem.

Should we call Eva or Air Canada to confirm whether her luggage are checked through to final destination? She has a four-hour layover at LAX but we don't know who to ask whether she has to re check-in her luggage if she needs to pick them up at the LAX carousel.

Thanks for any advice / experience shared.
8 replies
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
She will have to pick up and recheck her luggage at LAX regardless of the airlines involved, because it's a US Customs thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Last time I connected through the US to an international destination I had to pick up my checked baggage and re-drop it, and also go through security again. Needless to say I avoid connections through the US since that experience.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Thank you both.

Will advise her.

Will avoid connecting flights in the US in the future.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
BaconBaron wrote: She will have to pick up and recheck her luggage at LAX regardless of the airlines involved, because it's a US Customs thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Canada does the same thing, right? For example, if you fly ANA from Tokyo to Vancouver, then Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto (all booked on one ticket), you have to get your checked baggage in Vancouver, go through Customs, and then go through security again to get on the 2nd flight?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Canada does the same thing, right? For example, if you fly ANA from Tokyo to Vancouver, then Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto (all booked on one ticket), you have to get your checked baggage in Vancouver, go through Customs, and then go through security again to get on the 2nd flight?
Looks like you're right.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... nt-ca.html
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
My daughter did have to check her luggages in but Air Canada did not weigh or charge her.

I am amazed she got from Terminal B to Terminal 6 so soon. I wasn't underestimating her but was just worried she might get overwhelmed.

Will she be coming out of the US arrivals or International arrival area, coming from Los Angeles via Air Canada?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
Pretty sure US and International come through the same area for arrivals.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)