None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto

Question about internship

Hi i finished 1st year commerce. Recently I was prevailed with the possibility of doing a internship, not many people at my level has this opportunity.

Question/Statement:

I see tremendous opportunities presented after internships from big firms. But what about an internship at a small non-profit? will it give me the leverage I need for my next internship/job/law school application?

thank you
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
Any intership relating to your studies is good for your future employment opportunities, but as u noted, internship with big firms are better. Internship with a small non profit may only give u an edge over another job applicant who spent his summer as a painter, or mowing laws.
Nov 30, 2010
214 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
I would say any relevant job experience is better than none. If anything you can use this experience and do another internship with a big firm.

But it would depend more on what else would you be doing if you turn down this offer?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2086 posts
500 upvotes
Scarborough
Go for the big firms for sure. Having popular company names on your resume always boosts up your chances for interviews and jobs after you graduate! It's something I've witnessed with all my old co-op classmates from Ryerson vs the regular graduates.