• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2016 11:35 am
[OP]
Mar 15, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote

Question about iOS iPhone messages

Hi all

Does anyone know why when you send a new imessage on iPhone and type in a + sign it shows every number that you ever messaged or messaged you ? I dunno but if Apple stores that it kinda seems like a privacy concern. Saying that coz after you restore a phone or setup from scratch that info seems to be there. Same happens if you type in 0-9 in the messages app (or #) it's all cached there. What's the point to keep this info ?

Cheers
Ki
2 replies
Mar 15, 2011
559 posts
406 upvotes
Waterloo
Spiritbear wrote: Hi all

Does anyone know why when you send a new imessage on iPhone and type in a + sign it shows every number that you ever messaged or messaged you ? I dunno but if Apple stores that it kinda seems like a privacy concern. Saying that coz after you restore a phone or setup from scratch that info seems to be there. Same happens if you type in 0-9 in the messages app (or #) it's all cached there. What's the point to keep this info ?

Cheers
Ki
It's there to make the users life simple. Why remember/type in a whole phone number when only the first couple digits will do?
I don't see any privacy concern, considering you need a password to sign into your apple account/phone.
You do realize that when you send a iMessage it gets stored on Apple's servers right? So who cares that a phone number is stored, you can easily open a phone book and get instant access to millions of them.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
Freebie101 wrote: It's there to make the users life simple. Why remember/type in a whole phone number when only the first couple digits will do?
I don't see any privacy concern, considering you need a password to sign into your apple account/phone.
You do realize that when you send a iMessage it gets stored on Apple's servers right? So who cares that a phone number is stored, you can easily open a phone book and get instant access to millions of them.
Ya...I get the simplicity, not sure it's easier for #s which aren't in your contacts, you wouldn't know most of the # anyhow. iMessages are stored encrypted, but not thrilled that Apple keeps all the #s you ever called and deleting the log still keeps the #. Can think of situations where it would be privacy issue if they'd ever give them up.