• May 12th, 2017 8:45 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
661 posts
167 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

Question about Koodo TAB deal for those using the QC loophole

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I took advantage of the QC loophole deal 8GB/unlimited for $56, even though I live in Toronto.

So far so good.

Got a text today from Koodo with a TAB deal on select phones.

I've been wanting an iPhone 7 Plus for awhile now and they have it!

Was wondering:

1. If I take advantage of this deal, will it alert Koodo to my using the QC loophole and put it in jeopardy?

2. Can I get this deal if I go to a Koodo store instead of doing it online or via calling Koodo?
Last edited by Kestral on May 11th, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4967 posts
1080 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Try it and let us know if they gonna switch you to your province plan.

Freedom Mobile

Mar 3, 2017
88 posts
40 upvotes
KW
According to the text you can do this through the Koodo site or in store. You're much more likely to alert them by calling them or seeing them in store. I remember users saying they were able to get a new phone on tab without any issues in the old Koodo QC loophole thread.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16079 posts
6137 upvotes
Oakville
I would definitely not do it over the phone or in-store. That's pretty much guaranteed to cause issues. You *should* be able to do it online, though I've never done it myself so I don't want to give a guarantee that it won't cause trouble.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
661 posts
167 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
fyi went to the Koodo store at the Eaton Centre and spoke with a rep, he suggested I don't do the phone upgrade at the store if I have a Quebec plan because he would have to change my plan. He did not know if this would be the case if I did it online.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16079 posts
6137 upvotes
Oakville
The only issue you *may* run into is, since your plan is not currently in-market, it may require you to change plans when you try to order the phone (if your plan is no longer tab-eligible). You *should* be able to test that without completing a sale... Go to the site, login, try to order the phone. If you get to the final checkout page without it requiring you to change your plan, at the very least you're golden in that respect.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
661 posts
167 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Thanks wearysky, your advice was on point.

I went online and tried to order the phone and it said I had to change my plan.

Looks like the iPhone 7 plus and I are just not meant to be.
Mar 3, 2017
88 posts
40 upvotes
KW
Are you sure you picked the Medium Tab? Since you're on the $56 plan you wouldn't be able to use Tab Large because it requires a minimum monthly bill of $69.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
661 posts
167 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Coded1 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:00 pm
Are you sure you picked the Medium Tab? Since you're on the $56 plan you wouldn't be able to use Tab Large because it requires a minimum monthly bill of $69.
Thanks! Just tried it and you're right, the Medium Tab lets me order the phone without changing the plan.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2009
9189 posts
4954 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Kestral wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:54 pm
Thanks! Just tried it and you're right, the Medium Tab lets me order the phone without changing the plan.
This makes sense. Whether or not it's an in-market plan, as long as it meets Koodo's minimum tab requirements price-wise on the base plan and that it's a plan from their current tab system, it should work. Anything grandfathered into the old tab system (example those paying $49.50 for the MB/SK 5GB plan) will not be able to keep their plan and take a tab.

I had taken the $25 per month unlimited talk & text on multiple Koodo lines with QC activated numbers (QC plan), then ported in AB numbers to drop the sales tax. Then when I did an upgrade a couple weeks later, paid a bit up front to take the phone on a tab small. Even though for Rest of Canada plans tab small requires a base plan of $28+, it allowed me to keep the $25 base plan and take a new tab small. I was also able to ship the phone to an address outside of QC/AB (was charged local sales tax on the up-front amount based on shipping address).

Ordering phones from Koodo through their webstore is the way to go for their higher end phones (flagships and mid-range) where there would be no gift card for new activations, but rather an impressive discount in activation credits.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
661 posts
167 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Thanks titaniumtux! I'm about to go away on a business trip but will most likely order it while I'm away and try to time it so that the phone arrives when I get back, how long did it take for your phone to arrive once you ordered it?