Question about mandatory backup cameras in 2018

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 10:11 am
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
267 posts
155 upvotes

Question about mandatory backup cameras in 2018

So I just read that all new cars to be sold in Canada starting in May 2018 need to come with a backup camera installed, I was wondering if this would affect current base model cars that don't come with them? Will manufacturers have to change those base models to include a camera in the middle of the cycle, or will they wait for the 2019 models to come out to include it?

Also, somewhat related, I see a lot of DIY backup cameras on Amazon for cheap, but noticed that most of them come with a small screen that you need to mount on the dash to see the camera, are these all like this or are there cameras that can just be integrated into the existing screen in the car?
4 replies
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge
How would it effect base model cars if back-up cameras are mandatory? It simply means that every model sold in Canada must come equipped with a back-up camera. It's not really a big deal as the same requirement has been mandated in the USA (full compliance is required in both countries by May 2018).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1433 upvotes
???
It basically means all vehicles produced post may 2018 will need to have backup cameras in order to comply.

Vehicles produced prior will not be required to have the cameras.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12238 posts
6778 upvotes
Brampton
It's been mandated in the US for a couple years now I believe. How manufactures in lower end cars at the time dealt with it was they installed really crappy cameras (low res poor dynamic range) and integrated in to the smallest screens they could find either in to the dash or into the rear view mirror.

This time around tho, many econoboxes have large infotainment screens anyway so they'll likely just tap in to that with a crummy camera still. Or they'll put it in to the mirror if it's a super duper econobox.

and yes it means before may 2018 production they won't need to have a camera but post may 2018 production they must have one. So if you get a MY2018 car early you may be out of luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1496 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: It's been mandated in the US for a couple years now I believe.
Incorrect.

The phase-in started 2016/05/01 with 100% compliance by 2018/05/01. Hence, not every model has them yet.
tebore wrote: How manufactures in lower end cars at the time dealt with it was they installed really crappy cameras (low res poor dynamic range) and integrated in to the smallest screens they could find either in to the dash or into the rear view mirror.
Fortunately, there are also requirements for image quality and coverage: Vehicle Rearview Image Field of View and Quality Measurement (PDF).
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.