• Jun 26th, 2020 2:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2045 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto

Question about partially filled order with QT

So, I have placed a limit order for 700 stocks in the morning. Since then I had 3 partial fills, 100 + 100 + 300.

The priced moved and I am confident that I will not get a fill today for the 200 unfilled. I am thinking to cancel to original order and buy something else.

When I click on cancel, QT IQ Edge warns me that the "700 stocks" order would be canceled. I would have assume that I actually keep the 500 fill and only cancel the 200 unfilled.

Is this only a bug in QT IQ Edge or QT really cancels the entire order, reversing the 500 fill?

TIA.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2139 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga
When I placed a day order which only got partially filled, QT cancelled at EOD. I kept the filled shares and paid the full trade's commission. Not exactly the same but technically identical to your scenario.
Jun 2, 2012
137 posts
137 upvotes
Maple Ridge
andrew4321 wrote: So, I have placed a limit order for 700 stocks in the morning. Since then I had 3 partial fills, 100 + 100 + 300.
The priced moved and I am confident that I will not get a fill today for the 200 unfilled. I am thinking to cancel to original order and buy something else.
When I click on cancel, QT IQ Edge warns me that the "700 stocks" order would be canceled. I would have assume that I actually keep the 500 fill and only cancel the 200 unfilled.
Is this only a bug in QT IQ Edge or QT really cancels the entire order, reversing the 500 fill?
You'll see now that the REST of the order was cancelled, but the partial fills are there for you. It's a good thing to cancel, otherwise the remaining part of the order will fill another day and because it's two different days of fills, it's two different purchase fees.
DD