Real Estate

question about property tax? public vs catholic school fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 3:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2041 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto

question about property tax? public vs catholic school fee?

if you are a parent and enrolled your kids in public or Catholic school, do you know how much do you pay toward school when doing property tax?

if you don't have kids, do you still pay tax for school?

what if you been out of public school for long long, are you enrolled in automatically?

not sure if i even pay for school that I dont even go anymore?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20629 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
Everyone pays taxes for schools, even new immigrants who have never and will never go to school here.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9968 upvotes
Edmonton
Your property tax notice should show the municipal portion of your property tax, along with your school tax. And yes, everyone pays. You could be 90 years old, without any kids, and you'd still pay school taxes. It's part of sharing the tax burden.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7576 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
education is funded by the tax dollors of ALL of the citizens, not just the citizens who have kids who go to school. You need to tell them during the census which school board u support, so if your catholic, your taxes fund the catholic board, if your public, your taxes fund the public board. simple as that. The more catholics there are, the better funding the catholic schools will receive, so think about that next time you pay property taxes or fill in the Census
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1767 posts
810 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
At one time you paid more for one board vs. another. Not sure if that is the case anymore. So, you could switch to "public" if it was cheaper and you didn't care which one you supported.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12372 posts
11282 upvotes
They need the money to pay for the overpaid teachers
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19379 posts
3581 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: education is funded by the tax dollors of ALL of the citizens, not just the citizens who have kids who go to school. You need to tell them during the census which school board u support, so if your catholic, your taxes fund the catholic board, if your public, your taxes fund the public board. simple as that. The more catholics there are, the better funding the catholic schools will receive, so think about that next time you pay property taxes or fill in the Census
Aren't schools funded on a per-student basis? I don't think that the supposed tax designation does anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2052 posts
1924 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone who own a property will pay school taxes no matter what..I don't know if it changed, you used to be able to designate the money either to the regular board or catholic board...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1230 posts
1324 upvotes
Why are catholic schools funded by taxpayers again?

Doug Ford should eliminate this inefficiency.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4081 posts
2564 upvotes
Ottawa
i6s1 wrote: Aren't schools funded on a per-student basis? I don't think that the supposed tax designation does anything.
Yes it is completely irrelevant what box you check. Catholic schools still encourage their parents to do it but the funding is provincially mandated.

I agree it is crazy in 2018 we still have separate school systems especially when most of the "catholics" have to be fairly atheist at this point.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7576 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
NotRobot wrote: Why are catholic schools funded by taxpayers again?

Doug Ford should eliminate this inefficiency.
Because your either Catholic, or Public, if your Catholic, you go to Catholic school, if your public you go to public school. Doug ford should NOT eliminate this. I am a proud catholic and I do not want douggie to take away my catholic schools,
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20629 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Because your either Catholic, or Public, if your Catholic, you go to Catholic school, if your public you go to public school. Doug ford should NOT eliminate this. I am a proud catholic and I do not want douggie to take away my catholic schools,
Canada has no state religion and should not be funding state religious schools. This isn't Saudi Arabia. This broken system needs to be torn down and the public schools system needs to be fortified.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19379 posts
3581 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: Because your either Catholic, or Public, if your Catholic, you go to Catholic school, if your public you go to public school. Doug ford should NOT eliminate this. I am a proud catholic and I do not want douggie to take away my catholic schools,
Bear in mind that others have religious views as well, and they're not your Catholic schools when they're taxpayer funded. It's completely indefensible that one religion gets it's religious schools funded and others don't. Those who support this system don't care about fairness or equity, but they're happy because they're getting what they want at other people's expense.

There are other issues with the state funding of religion as well. A publicly funded religious apparatus can't promote aspects of doctrine that violate human rights, such as abortion and gay marriage bans.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7576 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
yes they should be funding it. just a FIY, Catholics aren't going anywhere, we are here to stay weather you like it or not. Guess who the founders of Canada were?
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7576 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
actually I take that back, your right, you win, Canada should not be a Catholic state and should not fund catholic schools. and on top of that, we should take back Christmas and easter as a stat holiday and not celebrate it, and then you would have to come in to work on both of those days, yeah that sounds much better.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1230 posts
1324 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: yes they should be funding it. just a FIY, Catholics aren't going anywhere, we are here to stay weather you like it or not. Guess who the founders of Canada were?
The Aboriginals.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20629 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: actually I take that back, your right, you win, Canada should not be a Catholic state and should not fund catholic schools. and on top of that, we should take back Christmas and easter as a stat holiday and not celebrate it, and then you would have to come in to work on both of those days, yeah that sounds much better.
Christmas and Easter are just pagan holidays under a new brand name, so we could just revert back to their roots and take those days off as secular holidays instead. It wouldn't be a huge jump.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7576 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
oh ok good to know, we should fund pagan schools in ontario or not a good idea?
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9968 upvotes
Edmonton
How is this related to the original question? There's a whole forum for religion and politics.

C
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20629 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: oh ok good to know, we should fund pagan schools in ontario or not a good idea?
We shouldn't fund any sort of religious school of any kind. Public school only.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)