Real Estate

Question about realtor choice

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 4:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Mar 27, 2016
321 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver

Question about realtor choice

There was a place that we viewed yesterday. Originally we contacted the seller's realtor thinking they can show us. But they referred us to another realtor who ended up showing the suite.

We hadn't decided on a realtor at that time but had a few in mind. Also, we didn't think we would be interested in that particular suite.

So we went to see the place and ended up liking it quite a bit, are we allowed to get another realtor to submit an offer for us or view it once more? Or do we have to go through the realtor who showed us? We r just a bit concerned that they were referred by the seller's realtor. And no, didn't sign anything stating we can't use another realtor. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1120 posts
2048 upvotes
Toronto
Did they ask you if were working with a realtor? If they did, what did you say?

In short, yes you can get another realtor, in long is that it might cause drama with the listing realtor. I had this exact situation on here with someone who messaged me after the fact to ask me to represent them after the listing realtor showed the place. Let's just say the drama wasn't worth it, live and learn. Hopefully you don't run into issues and transact on it successfully.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
[OP]
Member
Mar 27, 2016
321 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
RichmondCA wrote: Did they ask you if were working with a realtor? If they did, what did you say?

In short, yes you can get another realtor, in long is that it might cause drama with the listing realtor. I had this exact situation on here with someone who messaged me after the fact to ask me to represent them after the listing realtor showed the place. Let's just say the drama wasn't worth it, live and learn. Hopefully you don't run into issues and transact on it successfully.
Thanks for your response. Yea I think we made a mistake. We told the listing realtor that not yet we didn't have a realtor. And that was the truth, we hadn't contacted any realtor because we were just starting to look around and this was the first place that we looked at. I checked that the realtor who showed us does not work in the same company as the listing realtor, but I honestly don't know what their relationship is. Sigh...
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1120 posts
2048 upvotes
Toronto
Find a realtor you like and see what they can do for you, it might end being a nonissue.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2020
1195 posts
1617 upvotes
Lisameow wrote: There was a place that we viewed yesterday. Originally we contacted the seller's realtor thinking they can show us. But they referred us to another realtor who ended up showing the suite.

We hadn't decided on a realtor at that time but had a few in mind. Also, we didn't think we would be interested in that particular suite.

So we went to see the place and ended up liking it quite a bit, are we allowed to get another realtor to submit an offer for us or view it once more? Or do we have to go through the realtor who showed us? We r just a bit concerned that they were referred by the seller's realtor. And no, didn't sign anything stating we can't use another realtor. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
This is one of the biggest financial decisions of your life. Remember you are the only one in this world who has your back first, and will take care of your own best interests. Go with someone you feel comfortable with and can trust. You don't need to go with who they referred you to. The selling realtor may have referred you to someone else b/c they did not want it to be a conflict for the seller or for the seller to feel they were favouring anyone. I hope it works out for you and am sure you will do fine.
Member
Feb 15, 2018
329 posts
396 upvotes
Did the showing agent make you sign a representation agreement? If not that was both dumb and unprofessional of them. I would not take someone for a viewing to a place without having signed them up as a client.
[OP]
Member
Mar 27, 2016
321 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
canuckstorm wrote: Did the showing agent make you sign a representation agreement? If not that was both dumb and unprofessional of them. I would not take someone for a viewing to a place without having signed them up as a client.
No, they didn't make us sign anything. So I guess then we don't necessarily have to go with them. Overall we found this realtor okay, but just the fact that they were referred by the listing realtor bothers us a bit. We don't know if they will act for our best interest.

So when we decide on a realtor, they should make us sign a representation agreement first?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2020
1195 posts
1617 upvotes
Lisameow wrote: No, they didn't make us sign anything. So I guess then we don't necessarily have to go with them. Overall we found this realtor okay, but just the fact that they were referred by the listing realtor bothers us a bit. We don't know if they will act for our best interest.

So when we decide on a realtor, they should make us sign a representation agreement first?
Do not sign it unless you want them as your realtor - also many realtors won't have you sign one until your first offer of purchase. I had a realtor take me to a showing once in December- thank goodness I never signed a form with him. He wanted me to bid up 100k on a condo and it was not worth that amount and he did no research on comparables. He did no research and did not care one bit, he just knew what my maximum amount to spend was. Don't get stuck, there are many terrible people in that profession, so choose wisely. Also do your own due diligence, look at all comparables, there is a lot of information available online.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1120 posts
2048 upvotes
Toronto
Lisameow wrote: No, they didn't make us sign anything. So I guess then we don't necessarily have to go with them. Overall we found this realtor okay, but just the fact that they were referred by the listing realtor bothers us a bit. We don't know if they will act for our best interest.

So when we decide on a realtor, they should make us sign a representation agreement first?
If a realtor is asking you to sign an agreement at the first meeting you should probably politely decline and move on, I think that's very unprofessional and desperate. Interview a bunch, ask what their process is like and go from there. Ideally get someone that a friend has used/referred, because many realtors are good at selling themselves on a first date and it can go downhill once you are locked up with a signed agreement. Everyone does business different. I personally don't ask anyone to sign anything until they are ready to offer, even then I keep the agreement fairly short in duration and specific to a property. I am upfront about this with all clients, I rather they have the ability to walk away during the process than feel they *have* to work with me. It's awkward, it's archaic, it's entitled, and unprofessional. The counter argument from realtors is that they don't want to waste their time with people without a signed agreement. That's pretty much ass backwards, but that's just my opinion. It goes both ways, I screen people myself and don't work with every person that approaches me, I'd rather turn down a potential client if I can tell they will be a nightmare to work with.
Last edited by RichmondCA on Feb 21st, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Member
Feb 15, 2018
329 posts
396 upvotes
Lisameow wrote: No, they didn't make us sign anything. So I guess then we don't necessarily have to go with them. Overall we found this realtor okay, but just the fact that they were referred by the listing realtor bothers us a bit. We don't know if they will act for our best interest.

So when we decide on a realtor, they should make us sign a representation agreement first?
I see that you are in BC and I am not too sure about how the rules work that side. In Alberta, without a representation agreement there is no representation. In other words you could dump this realtor tomorrow. That means as a realtor I would have wasted my time and fuel showing you properties only for you to go with a different realtor. On you part, to make sure that the realtor is working in your best interest you will also need them to commit to a signed representation agreement. So, showings should be done after an agreement has been signed.

The exception is if the person showing you the home is the listing agent. They are more than free to show you a home without a representation agreement but when it comes to the actual purchasing part the seller's listing agent has to be very clear on what role they are playing in this transaction - whether they are representing you too or not. Best thing is to just find your own realtor you trust to work with.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
1055 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
Lisameow wrote: Thanks for your response. Yea I think we made a mistake. We told the listing realtor that not yet we didn't have a realtor. And that was the truth, we hadn't contacted any realtor because we were just starting to look around and this was the first place that we looked at. I checked that the realtor who showed us does not work in the same company as the listing realtor, but I honestly don't know what their relationship is. Sigh...
They probably wouldn't have bothered to get someone to show you the place if you had a realtor
Newbie
Dec 1, 2017
25 posts
26 upvotes
canuckstorm wrote: I see that you are in BC and I am not too sure about how the rules work that side. In Alberta, without a representation agreement there is no representation. In other words you could dump this realtor tomorrow. That means as a realtor I would have wasted my time and fuel showing you properties only for you to go with a different realtor. On you part, to make sure that the realtor is working in your best interest you will also need them to commit to a signed representation agreement. So, showings should be done after an agreement has been signed.

The exception is if the person showing you the home is the listing agent. They are more than free to show you a home without a representation agreement but when it comes to the actual purchasing part the seller's listing agent has to be very clear on what role they are playing in this transaction - whether they are representing you too or not. Best thing is to just find your own realtor you trust to work with.
In the last 2 years I have purchased 2 properties in Edmonton. When I made an offer on the first place, tucked into all the other documents was an exclusive buyers representation agreement. My realtor and I had never discussed this. So I did a little digging and found out there is also such a thing as a non-exclusive buyers agreement. I explained to my realtor that I was not willing to sign an exclusive agreement. Reluctantly she agreed to a non-exclusive. I used her for both purchases because she is someone that I had some synergy with and I felt represented my interest best not because a piece of paper said I had to.

There is ZERO benefit to the buyer to sign an exclusive agreement. If they tell you it’s mandatory they’re full of **** and I’d be more than happy to refer you to a very capable realtor. Keep in mind I’m only talking about Alberta. I know the RE situation is different in other parts of the country.
Member
Feb 15, 2018
329 posts
396 upvotes
Booyayyc wrote: In the last 2 years I have purchased 2 properties in Edmonton. When I made an offer on the first place, tucked into all the other documents was an exclusive buyers representation agreement. My realtor and I had never discussed this. So I did a little digging and found out there is also such a thing as a non-exclusive buyers agreement. I explained to my realtor that I was not willing to sign an exclusive agreement. Reluctantly she agreed to a non-exclusive. I used her for both purchases because she is someone that I had some synergy with and I felt represented my interest best not because a piece of paper said I had to.

There is ZERO benefit to the buyer to sign an exclusive agreement. If they tell you it’s mandatory they’re full of **** and I’d be more than happy to refer you to a very capable realtor. Keep in mind I’m only talking about Alberta. I know the RE situation is different in other parts of the country.
You are right that you do not need to sign an exclusive BRA. You can opt for a non-exclusive BRA. It is not mandatory to have an exclusive agreement to have a realtor represent you but it is mandatory to have some type of written agreement. Just because some realtor choses to ignore the rules and represents you without an agreement does not mean that is how things should work. This is a contractual relationship we are talking and by law real estate contracts have to be in writing. Besides, why would a realtor invest their time and resources helping a buyer secure a place if there is no guarantee the effort will yield a commission. Your realtor was very sneaky to try sneaking a representation agreement into a pile of sales offer paperwork. An ethical realtor will discuss these options with you upfront way before even making an offer or viewing a property. In Alberta we are supposed to present to you and explain the "consumer guide" before even doing any showings or drafting an offer.

Top