• May 29th, 2019 8:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1343 posts
24 upvotes

Question about the reasonable for dealer's rustptoofing

Hello,

I am considering buying rust-proofing from either Nissan or Hyundai for a new vehicle I have not bought yet. The vehicles in question here are econoboxes.

1. What are Nissan's and Hyundai's marketing terms for rust proofing or under coating? Is this something the sales person will typically provide the quote for over the email or is this something finance manager deals with?

2. What is the reasonable price to pay for lifetime warranty? I am thinking $150 for the first application + .25 (15 minutes labour for the inspection) × 12 (years) × 120 (labour rate per hour) + 100 (commission for finance manager) = 610 + tax. Let me know if my estimate makes sense.

Also the benefit to the dealership will be that they will do at least an oil change every year after 5 year warranty runs out which is an extra expense for me and an extra profit for the dealership.

Another thing about the cost is that is the billable rate, not the dealership cost, so there's profit built in there as well.

I don't want this discussion turning into rust proofing being a waste of money. Also I don't want to do a comparison between dealership rust proofing vs. Krown vs. every other method. There's more than enough information about it here. I can bump an older thread if I need to for this information.

Thank You in advance.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
1. their internal term is sucker fee.
2. $0, because that's what it's worth if you read the terms. It will almost be impossible to claim anything.

If you want rustproofing, get it done at CorrosionFree or Krown, dealer with just lightly spray the underbody, which is already protected by the e-coat at the factory.

My buddy paid $800 to get the dealer to rust-proof his Mazda3, it was badly rusting after 5 years. It eventually perforated, and they did patch it up, but quickly started rusting again.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4158 posts
3450 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Raven_007 wrote: Hello,

I am considering buying rust-proofing from either Nissan or Hyundai for a new vehicle I have not bought yet. The vehicles in question here are econoboxes.

1. What are Nissan's and Hyundai's marketing terms for rust proofing or under coating? Is this something the sales person will typically provide the quote for over the email or is this something finance manager deals with?

2. What is the reasonable price to pay for lifetime warranty? I am thinking $150 for the first application + .25 (15 minutes labour for the inspection) × 12 (years) × 120 (labour rate per hour) + 100 (commission for finance manager) = 610 + tax. Let me know if my estimate makes sense.

Also the benefit to the dealership will be that they will do at least an oil change every year after 5 year warranty runs out which is an extra expense for me and an extra profit for the dealership.

Another thing about the cost is that is the billable rate, not the dealership cost, so there's profit built in there as well.

I don't want this discussion turning into rust proofing being a waste of money. Also I don't want to do a comparison between dealership rust proofing vs. Krown vs. every other method. There's more than enough information about it here. I can bump an older thread if I need to for this information.

Thank You in advance.
There is absolutely nothing from Nissan nor Hyundai. They have no involvement with rustproofing from the dealer - you’re on your own for a private transaction between you and the dealership.

What you might find is some sort of marketing material that the 3rd Party Rustproofing Company provides to the dealership. Even then, you find find a lot of details there either - it’s mostly marketing claims and promises.

If you really want to see how it works you’ll have to deal with the Finance Manager (or push the Sales Rep hard) to get you a copy of the Terms and Conditions. This is where you’ll see coverage details and warranty limitations.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1343 posts
24 upvotes
Thanks guys. Is it the same for all manufacturers where the contract for rust proofing is between the individual and the dealer, rather than between the individual and the manufacturer?