• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2019 6:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1420 posts
1551 upvotes

Question about Rims

Any recommendations for buying rims online? Also, what are the specs if I want to make sure the rim doesn't "extend out" from the car? The width of the rim?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16190 posts
14240 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You know majority here are not mind readers. So some actual information may be helpful and lastly you’re in the wrong forum.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29214 posts
14988 upvotes
Toronto
Find out the factory rim spec. (Width and offset) and use that spec. to find the exact spec. for aftermarket wheels
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2447 posts
1990 upvotes
Markham
simplypop wrote: Any recommendations for buying rims online? Also, what are the specs if I want to make sure the rim doesn't "extend out" from the car? The width of the rim?
Never bought online, but I know Costco has tools on their site to help.

The second question if I am understanding you correctly is the wheel offset. Impossible to tell you what you need as I have no idea what car you are driving.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4343 posts
1827 upvotes
I got mine from the Tire Rack (shipped to the USA).
Their website shows you exactly what models fit. It is very accurate. If picking up the rims in the USA is not an option, at least you could use the website as a reference, and source the rims locally, or from a Canadian site.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1337 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
HDawg wrote: Never bought online, but I know Costco has tools on their site to help.

The second question if I am understanding you correctly is the wheel offset. Impossible to tell you what you need as I have no idea what car you are driving.
Just gonna steal this thread. @EP32k2 feel free to help out

Looked up my manual and this seems to be my OEM: 225/40R18 88V, T125/70D17 98M. I am assuming left side is my tires and right side are my rims?

I downgraded 2 inches for my winter tires (205/55/R16).

Options I am getting on rims on Costco site are:

1) 16x7, 40 offset, 73.1 center bore
2) 16x7, 35 offset, 54.1 center bore
3) 16x6.5, 35 offset, 54.1 center bore

This is for a 2020 Corolla XSE.

Thoughts on what is best?
Last edited by Electrah on Sep 30th, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6392 posts
2040 upvotes
BC
Electrah wrote:
Looked up my manual and this seems to be my OEM: 225/40R18 88V, T125/70D17 98M. I am assuming left side is my tires and right side are my rims?

Options I am getting on rims on Costco site are:

1) 16x7, 40 offset, 73.1 center bore
2) 16x7, 35 offset, 54.1 center bore
3) 16x16.5, 35 offset, 54.1 center bore
Firstly, that is your primary tire size and your temporary space-saver spare tire size.
Your owners manual should show the rim specifications separately, including the width and offset for the particular wheels on the XSE.

The Costco site should be used with the understanding that they are listing the specs of wheels they sell as suitable for your model.
That is, if you buy their 16"x6.5" wheel (not 16.5" width) you get an offset of 35mm and a centre bore of 54.1mm.
This is probably the exact centre bore you need, and same width and offset as lower trim Corollas that come with 16" wheels.

The 2nd. Costco choice looks like a multi-application wheel with a large centre bore which will require you to select the right plastic rings to mount on your hub.

Another wheel retailer might offer somewhat different numbers, which might be a better or worse choice. Hard to say.

Note that your stock tires are V speed rated . Your winters should also be V speed rated or at least H speed rated (not S or T rated tires).
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1056 posts
227 upvotes
ontario
check out local tire shops as well

i bought summer rims and total was about ~$700 with new lug nuts hub rings and mount/balance/install

looking at the price of my rims online today a set of 4 is $611 on canadawheels + tax alone
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1337 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
macnut wrote: Firstly, that is your primary tire size and your temporary space-saver spare tire size.
Your owners manual should show the rim specifications separately, including the width and offset for the particular wheels on the XSE.

The Costco site should be used with the understanding that they are listing the specs of wheels they sell as suitable for your model.
That is, if you buy their 16"x6.5" wheel (not 16.5" width) you get an offset of 35mm and a centre bore of 54.1mm.
This is probably the exact centre bore you need, and same width and offset as lower trim Corollas that come with 16" wheels.

The 2nd. Costco choice looks like a multi-application wheel with a large centre bore which will require you to select the right plastic rings to mount on your hub.

Another wheel retailer might offer somewhat different numbers, which might be a better or worse choice. Hard to say.

Note that your stock tires are V speed rated . Your winters should also be V speed rated or at least H speed rated (not S or T rated tires).
Thanks - can't find the rim specifications in my manual tbh

So your recommendation is Option 3 with 16x6.5 (sorry typo on my part). This makes sense as it also shows OEM compatible on it. Is there any downside to them using the same lug nuts from my OEM wheels? I've heard stories about them costing a lot if they ruin it or break.

And yes my winters are H rated!
Last edited by Electrah on Sep 30th, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
search for your car...every site has this feature,,Costco present sale is decent..also check pmctire
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6392 posts
2040 upvotes
BC
Yes, for your 205mm width winters the 6.5" wide rim is the best choice.
(They would mount ok on a 7" wide rim but the sidewalls might visually taper upwards slightly as opposed to being more vertical with the 6.5" rim.)

Make sure that Costco are able to supply the correct lug nuts for those rims as they are quite likely a different seat profile than your original equipment rims.
Dec 4, 2004
724 posts
723 upvotes
GTA
Your OEM wheels are as follows:

Size: 8x18 (18" diam., 8" width)
Offset: +40mm
Bolt Pattern: 5x100mm
Hub/Centre Bore: 54.1mm

You must match the bolt pattern and be close to the offset for your new wheels. It may be hard to find the exact centre bore but you can get a larger centre bore and use hub rings to make the new wheels hub centric. As for the size, you can use a smaller diameter down to 16" and match the tire accordingly for the same overall diameter.

Lug nuts have different shapes to seat properly in the wheel mounting holes. You can ask the tire shop and they will let you know if you can use the OEM lugs or need new ones.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5075 upvotes
London
macnut wrote: .....
The. Costco choice looks like a multi-application wheel with a large centre bore which will require you to select the right plastic rings to mount on your hub.

+1, Op, the 73.1 mm bore rim will like need spacer rings to fit properly on a 54.1 mm hub therefore is not preferable.

Also, check with Costco for mounting non-stock tire ratings. Some Costco stores will refuse to mount non stock sizes/ ratings
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1420 posts
1551 upvotes
Sorry here's more info:

This is my stock rim/tire: 18" size 8J x 18, with 245/40 all-season tires

This is the selection Costco is giving me:
ATLAS 18X8 5-112 35P C66.6 SATIN BLACK

Size 18x8
Diameter 18
Bolt Pattern (mm) 5x112

What size tires would I have to order to fit these rims? (looking for winter)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26715 posts
3577 upvotes
Montreal
simplypop wrote: Sorry here's more info:

This is my stock rim/tire: 18" size 8J x 18, with 245/40 all-season tires

This is the selection Costco is giving me:
ATLAS 18X8 5-112 35P C66.6 SATIN BLACK

Size 18x8
Diameter 18
Bolt Pattern (mm) 5x112

What size tires would I have to order to fit these rims? (looking for winter)
Those are the same wheels as stock. You would order the same tire size as stock.

Of course that begs the question, why the extra wheels?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6392 posts
2040 upvotes
BC
mr_raider wrote: Those are the same wheels as stock. You would order the same tire size as stock.
Why not 225/45/18 for his winter tires? Only about 1/4" height difference and 1% speedometer impact.

Even though the wheel size is the same, he can still save a bit with a 45 series tire compared to a 40 series, and have that narrower footprint that is arguably advantageous for driving in snow.

Toyota has always favoured the 100mm bolt circle, have they changed to 112 or does Costco have it wrong?
Doesn't look like a good choice anyway as it is not hub centric.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26715 posts
3577 upvotes
Montreal
macnut wrote: Why not 225/45/18 for his winter tires? Only about 1/4" height difference and 1% speedometer impact.

Even though the wheel size is the same, he can still save a bit with a 45 series tire compared to a 40 series, and have that narrower footprint that is arguably advantageous for driving in snow.

Toyota has always favoured the 100mm bolt circle, have they changed to 112 or does Costco have it wrong?
Doesn't look like a good choice anyway as it is not hub centric.
I had a Lexus that was 5x114.3