• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 11:40 pm
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
927 posts
1249 upvotes
Montreal

Question about small trailer tires 5.30 x 12

I have had a small trailer for a few years and don't know much about the rim and tire setups. I recently cleaned my wheels and inspected the bearing for grease. while doing this I found serious cracks in the tires side walls.

The tire size is 5.30 x 12 5 hole pattern.

So after some calls I found most of the local shops only sell complete Tires and rim as they calm is cheaper to replace everything than pay say $50 a tire plus $20 per tire for the installation of new tires on existing rims. My trailer original wheels were galvanized steel, (Its a boat trailer I modified to transport kayaks and camping gear).

This week Canadian Tire had tires and rims in my size 5.30 x 12 , 5 bolts hole , 6 ply on a white steel rim. @ $67 . (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/suto ... 9500p.html) Given that was cheaper and simpler than other options I went and purchased two.

Now when I compare both the original rims seem to have ticker steel. Wondering if I should have a local garage transfer the new tires to my original rims ?. I prefer the look of galvanized tire.

I don't use the trailer to launch boats so it does not get submerge and I store it for the winter.

Looking for comments for any trailer owners here as I don't know anyone that knows anything about trailers.
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2364 posts
3086 upvotes
I bought similar tires mounted on rims (white painted steel) for my little utility trailer from princess auto - because they were cheap - and because tires will age out well before they wear out given my usage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5433 posts
2931 upvotes
Toronto
Get a can of spray paint to paint the new rims. Use playing cards to slide under the rims so you don't get paint on the rubber.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5433 posts
2931 upvotes
Toronto
Get a can of spray paint to paint the new rims. Use playing cards to slide under the rims so you don't get paint on the rubber.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)