• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2020 12:51 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2015
128 posts
50 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Question about tempered glass

I'd like to use a piece of tempered glass from a section of deck railing as an office chair mat.

Is this possible? Is all tempered glass (e.g. from furniture, shower stalls, deck railing, chair mats, etc.) more or less the same in terms of hardness and durability?
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13090 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
If u nick the glass, it can eventually shatter
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
May 29, 2012
505 posts
175 upvotes
Southern Ontario
tempered glass is very strong if you stay away from the edges, you can walk on the stuff, Ive seen people do it on greenhouses, not myself though
if the edge gets a little crack or hit with even medium force it will shatter, thats just how the stuff is made, we've broken pieces at work trying to replace a smashed one and the new one breaks just from the installer trying to force it into its place
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10816 posts
5891 upvotes
Markham
Luzer123 wrote: I'd like to use a piece of tempered glass from a section of deck railing as an office chair mat.

Is this possible? Is all tempered glass (e.g. from furniture, shower stalls, deck railing, chair mats, etc.) more or less the same in terms of hardness and durability?
Those applications are fine as there is no weight on them. If you floor is absolutely unequivocably flat and you stay away from the edges it might work...if there any sort of non flat spots/voids, applying force on a small area, it can shatter .

If you look at window glass...you can hit it with your arm/foot and it won't break easily (force is spread over a bigger area) but if you take a "pointed" object and apply force it'll shatter.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8944 posts
4558 upvotes
Paris
I saw a thing on reddit recently where a life hack was to use some laminate flooring from a place like the restore as a chair mat for a desk.

As a window/door guy, I would not put uneven weight on a piece of glass designed to be vertical in the horizontal position.
Aug 4, 2006
579 posts
250 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
Think structural glass instead. Google it. But be forewarned ... $$$.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11342 posts
7652 upvotes
Edmonton
Someone posted a review of a tempered glass chair matt on Amazon. Everything was going well until they dropped a small metal jewelry stamp (about 3 ounces) on it. Shatter city.

On the plus side, the Amazon price was $120 for a 36”x46” matt.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3342 posts
2173 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
My question is, why?
Buy a nice thick piece of Lexan if you want a transparent effect. You won't have to pick up ten thousand glass bits when it inevitably shatters. Or buy a piece that's double laminated like windshield glass. Easier to clean up when it inevitably shatters.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2015
128 posts
50 upvotes
Calgary, AB
MrFrugal1 wrote: My question is, why?
Buy a nice thick piece of Lexan if you want a transparent effect. You won't have to pick up ten thousand glass bits when it inevitably shatters. Or buy a piece that's double laminated like windshield glass. Easier to clean up when it inevitably shatters.
Lexan is more expensive and only 2.5 mm thick. Is it harder than tempered glass?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3956 posts
1363 upvotes
GTA
Luzer123 wrote: I'd like to use a piece of tempered glass from a section of deck railing as an office chair mat.
Dec 7, 2011
713 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote: My question is, why?
Lexan will mar and scratch easily. Laminated glass will break when you go to sit in your chair. Tempered is your only option but I wouldn't recommend it. I know it's strong but all it takes is a nick to break the compression. I've stood on one inch thick tempered over a span of 8' and it held.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11342 posts
7652 upvotes
Edmonton
Luzer123 wrote: Lexan is more expensive and only 2.5 mm thick. Is it harder than tempered glass?
Tempered glass will shatter if it’s hit wrong, and it doesn’t take much of an impact to do that. As I posted previously, a 3 ounce metal weight dropped off a desk can do it. Lexan would be much more resilient in that regard.

C