A question about Toronto Hydro’s Pre-Authorized Debit

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 8:33 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
143 posts
18 upvotes

A question about Toronto Hydro’s Pre-Authorized Debit

I realized that Toronto Hydro only have my name (they do not have my wife's name).
When I setup the Pre-Authorized Debit, can I link to my wife's cheque account? Or must use my account (or joint account)?
2 replies
May 16, 2017
635 posts
627 upvotes
mouseswimming wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 9:38 pm
I realized that Toronto Hydro only have my name (they do not have my wife's name).
When I setup the Pre-Authorized Debit, can I link to my wife's cheque account? Or must use my account (or joint account)?
Only if they allow it to be setup clearly using her name and authorization on the PAD. It may work otherwise, but technically, unless the authorization is from her it breaches the banking rules for PAD and may be rejected. I'm in BC and assume that your case is similar and there is just an online form to enter the account details - but you can also download a paper form where a account/name/signature from another party can be provided.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
143 posts
18 upvotes
I use their online form. there is no place to input name. I just need provide account number / transit number / institution number
robsaw wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:44 am
Only if they allow it to be setup clearly using her name and authorization on the PAD. It may work otherwise, but technically, unless the authorization is from her it breaches the banking rules for PAD and may be rejected. I'm in BC and assume that your case is similar and there is just an online form to enter the account details - but you can also download a paper form where a account/name/signature from another party can be provided.