Automotive

Question about torque wrench

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 1:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14411 posts
3453 upvotes

Question about torque wrench

my bad as I am trying to learn something new here..
i have the breaker bar and torque wrench. Both of them are 1/2" and I realize all my sockets are 3/8"

I want to use them on removing and reinstall the lug nuts on the wheels. So, does it have any harm or dangerous or any concern if i get the 1/2-inch Female to 3/8-inch Male Drive Adapter to attach both the torque wrench and my sockets?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky- ... 1001004460

if i can just get the adapter, then i dont have to spend more $$$ on another set of sockets.

thank you..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
14 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
10004 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
Better off with a dedicated 1/2 socket set, reason it would throw off the torque wretch, it it be fine with socket, but might loose %30 strength loosing bolts.


https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8638124e
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15405 posts
16495 upvotes
Oakville
From what I've seen, you won't have any problem using an adapter. Obviously the adapter would be the weak link if you were trying to loosen something, but it'll be able to handle any typical wheel nuts/lugs.
You also won't lose any significant accuracy with the torque wrench. Worst problem is that it will be annoying to have to use the adapter. If you use the adapter with an impact gun, you will lose power with that.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14411 posts
3453 upvotes
akito925 wrote: Better off with a dedicated 1/2 socket set, reason it would throw off the torque wretch, it it be fine with socket, but might loose %30 strength loosing bolts.


https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8638124e
thank you for that link..that price is good..but i need to double check if it has the size i want for my wheel lug nuts..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14411 posts
3453 upvotes
engineered wrote: From what I've seen, you won't have any problem using an adapter. Obviously the adapter would be the weak link if you were trying to loosen something, but it'll be able to handle any typical wheel nuts/lugs.
You also won't lose any significant accuracy with the torque wrench. Worst problem is that it will be annoying to have to use the adapter. If you use the adapter with an impact gun, you will lose power with that.
jackrabbit000 wrote: For wheel lug nuts the adapter will be fine.
let's say i need to set the torque wrench to 73lb to tighten the wheel nuts, will it lose few lb if i use the adapter on the torque?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15405 posts
16495 upvotes
Oakville
kiasu wrote: let's say i need to set the torque wrench to 73lb to tighten the wheel nuts, will it lose few lb if i use the adapter on the torque?
No you won't. That said, I usually add a few ft-lbs to be safe. My car requires 88ft-lbs, i set it to 90ft-lbs. I would set your torque wrench to 75ft-lbs.
Keep in mind that car factories consider +/-10% within tolerance, so anywhere from 65.7 to 80.3ft-lbs would be fine.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1131 posts
378 upvotes
Vancouver
Just buy a single 1/2" deep socket, it'd be the same price. Then you don't have to mess with the adapter.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3122 posts
762 upvotes
Vaughan
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5958 posts
3058 upvotes
Mississauga
Just to clarify, one shouldn’t be using a torque wrench to loosen things.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14411 posts
3453 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Just to clarify, one shouldn’t be using a torque wrench to loosen things.
Breaker bar
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2015
977 posts
1159 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Adapter won't make a difference, but like it's been mentioned above, it's just the weak link in the system. Get a set of 1/2 impact sockets and you'll have them forever.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3949 posts
4060 upvotes
GTA
I would spend the $5 on the proper 1/2" socket, instead of an adapter.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14411 posts
3453 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: Adapter won't make a difference, but like it's been mentioned above, it's just the weak link in the system. Get a set of 1/2 impact sockets and you'll have them forever.
derass wrote: I would spend the $5 on the proper 1/2" socket, instead of an adapter.
any good set with reasonable price on 1/2" sockets?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Member
Sep 19, 2014
446 posts
227 upvotes
Markham, ON
who cares about the adapter being the weak link

unless op drives an 18 wheeler, no one's breaking 3/8" socket adapter doing wheel lug
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2015
977 posts
1159 upvotes
Barrie, ON
blackn54 wrote: who cares about the adapter being the weak link

unless op drives an 18 wheeler, no one's breaking 3/8" socket adapter doing wheel lug
I've busted a 1/2 breaker bar trying to get a lugnut off that some wheel jockey blasted on. Putting them on and torqueing them properly is the easy part...

Top