Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto

Question to any trails and hiking enthusiasts

EDAA6205-F53B-4B64-A580-36FA436D6E4C.jpeg
70ABF48E-FA06-4B08-B237-BD6C67CB8FC2.jpeg
When I am walking in trails, from time to time, I come something like this. Basically a patch of grass that has been flattened, even though it is limited to that circle, and there is no trail leading to it, where someone or some machine could have driven over it and made it flat like that.

It just appears out of nowhere. I would have walked by the day before and nothing. Then the next day it appears.

It can’t be wind either, because it is secluded to these small patches. And wind wouldn’t do something like this and leave the other spots untouched, not to mention it would have to be strong winds.

Animals maybe? But how and what exactly. Not aware of any such big animals in the trails to cause this must flattening.

(No, not suggesting crop circles lol) :)
Images
  • BE0AB149-96DC-4EDF-AD79-1237BB9DCC18.jpeg
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
7 replies
Dec 26, 2005
621 posts
150 upvotes
Most likely where an animal bedded down for the night or just took a break.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8112 posts
5103 upvotes
Global Village
That 2nd photo shape is pretty big, horse or cow lying down maybe?
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3300 upvotes
Out west
Deer bed down, or elk depending on the size. You dont see a trail to it due to hooves, not big paws or feet
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting responses, thanks everyone! Now am scared, especially if I run into this deer or even worse an elk lol.

Assuming it is a big animal, it is strange that I have never run or seen an animal in this trail, not even from far away. I understand it is a big park, but still, in over 4 years of going there (at least 50+ times or more) never seen one.

For anyone interested, this is the William Granger Greenway in Vaughan, a beautiful and massive trails and hiking park. I usually start from Rutherford and make my way to Major Mack and back. Or start from Bindertwine park and make it to Major Mack and back.
On certain days when I have the energy, I walk it all the way from Rutherford to Bindertwine and back. That is total of over 6.4 KM one way (if you make it south Rutherford and into Boyd Conservation park
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3300 upvotes
Out west
Woodbridge905 wrote: Interesting responses, thanks everyone! Now am scared, especially if I run into this deer or even worse an elk lol.

Assuming it is a big animal, it is strange that I have never run or seen an animal in this trail, not even from far away. I understand it is a big park, but still, in over 4 years of going there (at least 50+ times or more) never seen one.

For anyone interested, this is the William Granger Greenway in Vaughan, a beautiful and massive trails and hiking park. I usually start from Rutherford and make my way to Major Mack and back. Or start from Bindertwine park and make it to Major Mack and back.
On certain days when I have the energy, I walk it all the way from Rutherford to Bindertwine and back. That is total of over 6.4 KM one way (if you make it south Rutherford and into Boyd Conservation park
You may not of seen them, but they have seen you.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24110 posts
32614 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Can someone recommend any good hiking trails?
where are you located?
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.