question for coffee connoisseurs

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 10:30 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote

question for coffee connoisseurs

I'm new to the world of coffee, I usually like to drink hot chocolate, french vanilla etc. Given the taste that I have, would you recommend that I go for light/medium/dark roast coffee?

thanks
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7373 posts
1566 upvotes
Mississauga
Wrong forum
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19248 posts
5517 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 5:13 pm
Wrong forum
Forums -> Food & Drink

It is? What would be a better one?
May 28, 2012
9999 posts
2170 upvotes
Saskatoon
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 5:24 pm
Forums -> Food & Drink

It is? What would be a better one?
It was reported and I moved it to Food & Drink.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2401 posts
1405 upvotes
sahands334 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 4:21 pm
I'm new to the world of coffee, I usually like to drink hot chocolate, french vanilla etc. Given the taste that I have, would you recommend that I go for light/medium/dark roast coffee?

thanks
Depends on how "sophisticated" you want to develop your tastes in coffee. If you're into flavored stuff like French vanilla, hazelnut, etc... any Starbucks will serve you just fine. Light roast = blonde, medium roast = Pike Place, dark roast changes by the season (anniversary blend, Christmas blend, Cafe Verona, etc)

When you want to get into single origins and that sort of thing, then you can try ordering the Starbucks Reserve line of coffees (not every location has these); if you're in Toronto or Vancouver go to the Reserve Bar for the best experience.

That or try any number of independent roasters.

Don't waste your time with garbage like Tim Horton's, Second Cup, Coffee Culture, etc. Start with Starbucks and go up from there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19248 posts
5517 upvotes
Don't forget Keurig! So easy and so many flavors!

*hides from @EastGTARedFlagger*

Seriously though, notice the distinct lack of "good" in my description.

Also Starbucks? I'm shocked. I'm not a coffee snob and even I think their coffee tastes burnt.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2401 posts
1405 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:47 pm
Don't forget Keurig! So easy and so many flavors!

*hides from @EastGTARedFlagger*

Seriously though, notice the distinct lack of "good" in my description.

Also Starbucks? I'm shocked. I'm not a coffee snob and even I think their coffee tastes burnt.
Touche' :-)

If the OP truly wants light roasts he/she should go to a specialty roaster. All the chain places (Starbucks et al) roast dark since it's easier to control the flavor that way. A "medium" roast at Starbucks would be a "medium dark", and a "light" would be a "medium" under SCA standards.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19248 posts
5517 upvotes
Oh good! I'm not out to lunch.

I don't drink coffee very often, but I know what I like, and Starbucks definitely wasn't one of them.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2401 posts
1405 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:53 pm
Oh good! I'm not out to lunch.

I don't drink coffee very often, but I know what I like, and Starbucks definitely wasn't one of them.
Specialty independent roasters > Stumptown > Peets > Starbucks >>>>>Nespresso>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VanHoutte/CoffeeCulture/SecondCup >>>>>>>>McCafe>>> (infinity)>>> Keurig/TimHortons
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19248 posts
5517 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:55 pm
Stumptown > Peets
Never heard of them.
> Starbucks

ಠ_ಠ
>>>>>Nespresso>
Never tried so I can't comment.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>VanHoutte/CoffeeCulture/SecondCup >
I have no decent memory of these so they were probably unremarkable.
>McCafe>
Really? See I'd take your rankings (with the places I've heard of) and basically 1:1 swap Starbucks and McDumps.
>> (infinity)>>> Keurig/TimHortons
This is fine though.

But as mentioned, I'm by no means an expert coffee person.
I don't even drink it regularly (once a month maybe?)
But I'd take a McDumps over a Starbucks any day.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1866 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sahands334 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 4:21 pm
I like X, reccomend me some Y.
It doesn't work like that. That's like saying you like to drink pop and then asking what kind of alcoholic drink you would like... one drowned in pop. The flavor of coffee ranges from burnt ashes to light battery acid, what makes a coffee good is the subtle aromas and flavours hidden in between the taste of ash and acid. Based on hot chocolate and french vanilla the coffee you're going to like most is one drowned in cream and sugar.

If you actually want to try coffee for what it is then get a single cup french press for $15 or so from a department store and a bag of medium roast 100% arabica coffee (pre ground if you don't have a grinder). Put in 1 tablespoon of coffee and pour in water that is hot but not boiling hot, wait 30-45 seconds and push down on the plunger and pour the coffee into a cup. Drink it as is, no sugar, no cream. If the coffee is too sour (acidic) then increase the water temperature next time, if the coffee is too light then increase the amount of grounds, if there's too much flavour going on and you want a duller more bitter drink then increase the steep time. Some coffees are just bad and no amount of 'adjustment' can make them taste good. A single bag of coffee goes a long way for one person drinking and the grounds will get stale by the time you're half way into the bag.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:23 pm
Don't waste your time with garbage like Tim Horton's, Second Cup, Coffee Culture, etc. Start with Starbucks and go up from there.
You're going to start a war by saying that, I'm sure there are many devotees that swear by those chains.
But I'm not looking to buying coffee from outside, for the times that I have an early morning (5 am) shift, I wanted to add some instant coffee to my hot chocolate to give it some extra kick.
when I was at the store, I did not know what type (light/medium/dark roast) to buy, I looked online, and it just made me more confused. Some sites say that dark roast has more chocolatey, nutty, and caramel flavors, while other sites say that light roast is more sweet and has bright flavours. :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12068 posts
1784 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I recommend Nescafe for you. They have those single serving sticks.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2401 posts
1405 upvotes
sahands334 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 9:07 pm
You're going to start a war by saying that, I'm sure there are many devotees that swear by those chains.
If you want to get into cupping/tasting (in other words treating coffee like wine) read nabiul's post above, follow those instructions, and you'll be well on your way. I will agree that the best coffees are enjoyed black. You shoudn't have to add any sugar or cream or flavored syrups or chocolate or cinnamon or whatever to it.

Plenty of resources online explaining the various tasting profiles, how the roast affects it, the types of beans, the growing regions... and from those descriptions you might be able to zero in on a specific single origin or blend that mostly matches what you like.

For example, personally I don't like overly acidic coffees. I once had a Reserve at Starbucks (might have been a Rwanda but don't quote me on that) that smelled and tasted like vinegar with a touch of lemon juice. To me that's nasty. But to somebody else that might be amazing - some people love that (look for words like "acidity", "citrus", and "juicy" to find coffees of this type). I like coffees that are naturally sweet -- so I look for words like "molasses", "brown sugar", "honey", "hazelnuts", "black cherry" etc.

The best coffee I have ever had was a natural-process Geisha from Panama which I ordered from a specialty roaster. If all you know of coffee is the standard stuff (Tim Hortons style) that coffee will blow you away. Sweet, floral, and just so different from you expect. But again, you might not like that.

Hope this helps. You'd be better served doing a lot more research rather than just coming onto a board to ask for recommendations. What I like may be what you don't.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39862 posts
3927 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Great advice from people above. Thank y’all.
But if op is such a noob... it doesnt seem like his coffee taste are super sophisticated.

How about just grabbing cups from different plces?

Try mcdonalds for a good main streAm cup of coffee... its better then tim hortons!

Then try the various types @ starbucks. Try a new one everyday. They have so many.

Then you can kinda gage what you like.

I love good coffee... but i due to budget restraints i drink the k-cup timothy’s coffee they order in @ work... lol