None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2010
1032 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto

Question on credit card's travel insurance

1) Do you have to pay the trip (eg. flight, hotels) using the credit card to enjoy the travel insurance benefits, or do you just have to own the card?
2) I'm reading the fine prints and it's hard to gauge how sufficient the insurance is. If I have the TD infinite and Rogers World Elite, is that sufficient for travel insurance of less than 10 days (both cards limit to 10 days coverage)?
4 replies
Feb 28, 2014
554 posts
662 upvotes
jillaryit wrote: 1) Do you have to pay the trip (eg. flight, hotels) using the credit card to enjoy the travel insurance benefits, or do you just have to own the card?
2) I'm reading the fine prints and it's hard to gauge how sufficient the insurance is. If I have the TD infinite and Rogers World Elite, is that sufficient for travel insurance of less than 10 days (both cards limit to 10 days coverage)?
  1. For travel medical insurance, generally no but do double check the insurance certificate, call the insurer if you're still unsure. For other travel insurance coverage like trip interruption, trip cancellation and etc., yes you must charge the amounts on the card.
  2. If you're talking about the travel medical insurance, if your trip is shorter than the coverage period limit, then you should be fine, the insurances often have at least a $1 million upper limit. If you are travelling for longer than the included coverage period, consider calling the insurer to extend coverage.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1026 posts
388 upvotes
I charged a flight to my TD Aeroplan VI, however my CC is expiring soon (before the flight date). Meanwhile I managed to get another TD Aeroplan VI cc. Is there any way to not renew the first cc and still be covered by the second one ?
Feb 28, 2014
554 posts
662 upvotes
komodor wrote: I charged a flight to my TD Aeroplan VI, however my CC is expiring soon (before the flight date). Meanwhile I managed to get another TD Aeroplan VI cc. Is there any way to not renew the first cc and still be covered by the second one ?
Why did you get another TD Aeroplan VI card if you already have one? It doesn't make sense to apply 2 of the exact same card. You're better off just waiting for TD to renew your card automatically than to apply for a second one.

Based on how TD's insurance reads, trip insurances like trip interruption/cancellation, lost/damaged luggage and etc. must be charged on the card for those insurances to be valid. You're better off just cancelling the second one and let TD renew your original TD card.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3538 posts
4365 upvotes
Montreal
deltatux wrote: Why did you get another TD Aeroplan VI card if you already have one? It doesn't make sense to apply 2 of the exact same card. You're better off just waiting for TD to renew your card automatically than to apply for a second one.
People get multiples of the same card for the bonuses... I've held two of the exact same card numerous times, and I know others that have had three and even four of the exact same card.