[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18676 posts
16879 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…

Question for electricians. lighting/wiring over kitchen island

Hello.

Question. I have lighting that is capped over my island. So right now it's set up to have just one pendant light. I want to have 2 additional pendant lights which would require running wires for 2 more spots. What would be the cost? I just need an idea of the cost and the work.

This is what I want:

This is what I have:

Thanks,
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5034 posts
2722 upvotes
GTA
The cost of the work depends how the joists in the ceiling are positioned, it can go from a 15 minute job to a headache fishing the wires between joists.
If you take the plate off you can see the electrical box is attached to a joist and which way its running in the ceiling. If the joist is running north to south but you want your new pendants running west to east it'll cost you more.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1956 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
shabby wrote: The cost of the work depends how the joists in the ceiling are positioned, it can go from a 15 minute job to a headache fishing the wires between joists.
If you take the plate off you can see the electrical box is attached to a joist and which way its running in the ceiling. If the joist is running north to south but you want your new pendants running west to east it'll cost you more.
Honestly, based on the spacing between the lights, I'm assuming at most you will only have to fish it through one joist, which is ezpz.

The larger pain in the ass is getting the box support in with limited access if its needed depending on the desired spacing of the lights.

In my humble opinion this should be a pretty quick job, and basically looking at the cost of someone showing up, which will differ by area, contractor, if they have jobs nearby etc etc. I.e. very hard to give you a number.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3404 posts
2162 upvotes
Mississauga
Complexity wise, it looks like a very simple task. However, it might still cost a bit to get an electrician to come over.
Why don't you consider extending the wires yourself. A studfinder would give an idea of where the joists are.
And I guess you can take the current junction box out temporarily as well to take a peek inside.

Once you have a general idea, mark the two additional spots and then make a precise drywall cutout using a multi tool.

One thing important to note is that spacing of lights will be dictated by which direction the joist runs. If joist goes in the same direction you want lights in, then you can decide whatever spacing you want.
If it is perpendicular, then spacing will be multiple of distance between two joists.