• Apr 4th, 2016 6:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 30, 2016
30 posts
2 upvotes

question to file taxes

I am looking to file my taxes. I am seeing lots and lots of homes in my area with a sihn on the front lawn saying "do you taxes here"
Are these people allowed to do my taxes legally? What should I ask them before I go to them? Should they be chartered acountant?
I am just file my personal tax.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1222 posts
685 upvotes
Ripley
Anyone can do your taxes but you are ultimately responsible for the information they send in. If you use one of these people and they do not report some of your income and you are audited they are not responsible. You are. You are also giving them all of your personal information - SIN, income, etc. I would ask your friends for recommendations ..... Or do it yourself. It is not as complicated as the commercials would like you to believe.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29593 posts
15391 upvotes
Toronto
+1 do be careful with your personal info.

If your tax return is relatively straight forward, then try to do it yourself.
Oct 11, 2010
977 posts
323 upvotes
Charlottetown
Unless you have a complex setup, which is sounds like you don't.. save yourself the trouble and go to simpletax.ca and file your own. It's super easy to do and free
[OP]
Mar 30, 2016
30 posts
2 upvotes
jfall wrote: Unless you have a complex setup, which is sounds like you don't.. save yourself the trouble and go to simpletax.ca and file your own. It's super easy to do and free
how is it free? how does the company make money? is there a catch?
Oct 11, 2010
977 posts
323 upvotes
Charlottetown
Jazzminman wrote: how is it free? how does the company make money? is there a catch?
They take donations which are optional. If you like the service consider donating, but indeed it is optional. I've used simpletax.ca for the past few years and it has been great.

From their site:

"Yes, SimpleTax is free, so you might be wondering, what's the catch? Well, there is none. There are no income limits or restrictions and you can pay what you want, including zero. While we hope you'll support us if you can afford it, the choice is yours."

If you just have a basic T4 slip you could have it done and submitted to the CRA in about 5-10 minutes.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2285 posts
809 upvotes
Ontario
Jazzminman wrote: how is it free? how does the company make money? is there a catch?
Search up free tax software that are vetted by CRA