Computers & Electronics

Question: How best to set up speakers & sub-woofer on Dell U3415W monitor to share with 2 pcs?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2020 11:45 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto

Question: How best to set up speakers & sub-woofer on Dell U3415W monitor to share with 2 pcs?

Apologies for the newbie question....

Just picked up a used Dell U3415W monitor for WFH & movies.

I’m using the built-in switching of the monitor to switch between my laptop & desktop.

I’m setting up my Logitech speakers and subwoofer and wondering what is the best way to set it up so both machines can use the speakers?

I know the monitor has audio out & I should use this jack.

But my desktop has a sound card and a direct audio out which I would plug into the speakers.

The desktop is connected via HDMI to DVI cable and the laptop is connected via DisplayPort.

Do I need some audio hub or something?

I did some googling but not finding much details on this setup.

Darn, must be getting old....can’t seem to wrap my head around this....
3 replies
Jun 28, 2018
372 posts
443 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
Just use the audio jack on the monitor and switch the audio out on the desktop to display port/HDMI whatever. It will be using the DAC in the monitor and it will introduce some latency but as long as you’re not doing something like playing Rocksmith (I’m speaking from experience) you will be fine. The alternative would be getting a USB sound card, plugging it i to one of the USB ports on the monitor and using that sound card on both computers but that’s overkill unless you’re doing stuff like audio recording.

I have the same monitor btw.

Also, I hope you’re using the USB hub to use a single keyboard and mouse with the two computers and not wasting the feature.
Jun 28, 2018
372 posts
443 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
Oh yeah. Just reread your post and why the $&@€ are you using an HDMI to DVI cable. Throw that ancient thing in the trash ans just use an HDMI cable. I know HDMI and Disply port carries audio but I suspect DVI does not so that’s probably your problem right there.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, thx!

Yup, using a single keyboard & mouse with the monitor & both PCs.....loving the feature.

Yeah, I hear ya about the HDMI to DVI cable....my vid card is old & has dualie DVIs....

Looks like time to rectify that, thx!

Update: Noticed last night that the current vid card has mini-HDMI port.....so will use that. Just need to get a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. Thx all!