Question on lease expiration - Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2022 9:29 pm
[OP]
Mar 28, 2021
28 posts
4 upvotes

Question on lease expiration - Ontario

I am a new landlord in Ontario. My tenant is finishing their first-year end of Dec. I want to increase the rent as per the guidelines in Ontario.
Is N1 the correct form to use? https://tribunalsontario.ca/ltb/forms/#landlord-forms

Can I sign it and send it through email or do need to deliver it in person?

Also if the tenant would like to move to a month-to-month tenancy do we need to take care of any additional steps in writing or so?

And how can we make sure the rest of the terms from the lease remain effective with month-to-month tenancy eg payment terms, property maintenance etc?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4394 posts
2566 upvotes
Toronto
pmg2021 wrote: I am a new landlord in Ontario. My tenant is finishing their first-year end of Dec. I want to increase the rent as per the guidelines in Ontario.
Is N1 the correct form to use? https://tribunalsontario.ca/ltb/forms/#landlord-forms
Yes N1 if unit is rent controlled. If you serve it now, you can make rent increase for 2.5% effective Jan 1 (assuming rent is paid 1st of the month).
Can I sign it and send it through email or do need to deliver it in person?
It depends. On the Ontario standard Lease, Section 3: Contact Information, did you check the box that had you and tenant agree to receive notices via email? If so, then yes you can email the N1. If not checked, then you would have to serve in person, by mail, or some other acceptable way.
Also if the tenant would like to move to a month-to-month tenancy do we need to take care of any additional steps in writing or so?
No. If neither party does anything the tenancy automatically goes month to month.
And how can we make sure the rest of the terms from the lease remain effective with month-to-month tenancy eg payment terms, property maintenance etc?
You aren't changing the lease. You would only be changing the fixed term potion. All other sections of lease are assumed to remain identical to when it was first signed.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2021
28 posts
4 upvotes
thanks, for the detailed response.
rob444 wrote: Yes N1 if unit is rent controlled. If you serve it now, you can make rent increase for 2.5% effective Jan 1 (assuming rent is paid 1st of the month).

It depends. On the Ontario standard Lease, Section 3: Contact Information, did you check the box that had you and tenant agree to receive notices via email? If so, then yes you can email the N1. If not checked, then you would have to serve in person, by mail, or some other acceptable way.

No. If neither party does anything the tenancy automatically goes month to month.

You aren't changing the lease. You would only be changing the fixed term potion. All other sections of lease are assumed to remain identical to when it was first signed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)