[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto

Question on Operating name for Incorporation

Hi -

I am planning on signing a contract with one of the clients. I have a Numbered name organization something like "983332 Canada Inc.". I was wondering if say i want to use the name "ABC Consulting" , do i have to register it somewhere? All the contracts will still be under "983332 Canada Inc.".

Appreciate any advise.
6 replies
Jan 18, 2018
9 posts
Toronto
Adding a corporation name is better for marketing, and it's easy. My accountant helped me add it and charged me a nominal $20 or so.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5556 posts
1425 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
No - but if there is another similar name out there, theoretically that company can sue you for "misleading their customers". Also someone else can take your name and use it him/herself.

A lot of corporations have a lot of misc. business names they operate under but collect payment with one bucket corporation entity.
e.g. X Trucking is the trucking branch of X Environmental Consulting Inc.
Calgary BMW is actually just one dealership under 123489482 Alberta Ltd. (actual in my case, lol)

To be safe, just get the name registered at your local registry at least. Here in Alberta it's about $50, not sure about there.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
FirstGear wrote: No - but if there is another similar name out there, theoretically that company can sue you for "misleading their customers". Also someone else can take your name and use it him/herself.

A lot of corporations have a lot of misc. business names they operate under but collect payment with one bucket corporation entity.
e.g. X Trucking is the trucking branch of X Environmental Consulting Inc.
Calgary BMW is actually just one dealership under 123489482 Alberta Ltd. (actual in my case, lol)

To be safe, just get the name registered at your local registry at least. Here in Alberta it's about $50, not sure about there.
Thanks for your reply...So did you have to register the name "Calgary BMW" as a business name or something?

I found this link :
https://www.ontario.ca/page/registering ... iness-name

Also, if i register for a business name,, will i still be able to use the existing number name "9822732 Canada Inc." as well? My current contract with one of the client is under "9822732 Canada Inc.".?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5556 posts
1425 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
guptasulabh7 wrote: Thanks for your reply...So did you have to register the name "Calgary BMW" as a business name or something?

I found this link :
https://www.ontario.ca/page/registering ... iness-name

Also, if i register for a business name,, will i still be able to use the existing number name "9822732 Canada Inc." as well? My current contract with one of the client is under "9822732 Canada Inc.".?
That's just a dealership I bought a vehicle from, but the actual payment went to a numbered company that owns 43 dealerships across Canada. Supposingly "Calgary BMW" is just a consignment dealer owned by the numbered company - where the numbered company gets a certain cut out of each BMW that's ordered through a manufacturer order, or whichever vehicles they sell for either BMW itself or other dealers. Older trade-ins then get sent to those local "sketch" used old auto sales lots, and then the customer signs a bill of sale actually directed to the numbered company. The sketch dealer gets a cut.

Here in Alberta you do a name search and pay the name fee at the registry. Best is to ask your registry there. For collecting payment and tax purposes, use the actual corporation name and GST number (plus HST as well for Ontario?). You just don't have to advertise using that name. Concept should be similar.

A lot of the time the invoice will say "XXX Service; a division of 83459834 Inc. GST#2842384" or something along those lines. Then if they pay you through wire transfer, get the transfer to the corporation bank account.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
[OP]
Banned
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, i registered a business name under my corporate name to avoid any issues down the line.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
Don't forget to renew your business name every five years. Don't expect the ON govt to send you reminders.