• Feb 4th, 2019 2:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13010 posts
3121 upvotes
London

Question for people with Rogers & the big white Hitron router/modem

How often do you have to factory reset your modem?

If I leave mine as is for too long, I start getting really bad packet loss and have to do the factory reset with the button on the back.

For example, I just pined google.ca and lost 5/30 packets. After a reset 0/30

I find myself having to do this at least every couple weeks

Is this normal?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16735 posts
3689 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 1:18 pm

If I leave mine as is for too long, I start getting really bad packet loss and have to do the factory reset with the button on the back.

Is this normal?
Is that the CODA-4582U? I’ve had to do that from time to time on mine, but mainly when the signal stats weren’t great. The problem is in my area at my house there seems to be a fair bit of fluctuation in the signal levels. When they’re good, the modem is happy, but when the levels are not as good, sometimes the modem does funny things. A reboot fixes it. I don’t ever do factory resets.

However, that was on the 33T3 firmware. I’ve recently been upgraded to the 36T6 firmware so we’ll see how that goes. I’m on the Gigabit service.

What firmware do you have, and what service?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15205 posts
2150 upvotes
Toronto
I never had Rogers 500u for about 13 months and have never factory reset the Hitron but I have power cycled the modem a few times to resolve issues associated with a power outage in my house.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
770 upvotes
Oshawa
Viper98 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 1:18 pm

Is this normal?
SERVICE PROVIDER: Rogers
INTERNET PACKAGE: Gigabit since 2016
MODEM: White CODA-4582U (since September 2018) ... previously Black Hitron CGNM-3552

Never had to reboot my BIG WHITE Rogers CODA-4582U modem ...

The previous Hitron CGNM-3552 modem, I had to do the reboot probably once every two months ...

Basically it was an UNPLUG POWER SOURCE ... wait for about a MINUTE ... then PLUG IN POWER SOURCE.

With Routers ... never had to reboot them at all.

My average WIRED speeds (On Desktop for strictly downloading: Direct in-wall connection to CODA. On another Desktop for streaming: wired to Asus Gigabit Switch to DIR-859 Router to the in-wall connection to CODA) ... 950 Mbps download ; 32 Mbps upload
My average WIRELESS speeds (on 5GHz connection on my DIR-859 Router ... don't connect to the CODA for WiFi at all) ... 320 Mbps download ; 31 Mbps upload
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!