Art and Photography

Question Re: Drone (UAV) Insurance Coverage

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2020 9:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2019
1094 posts
1231 upvotes

Question Re: Drone (UAV) Insurance Coverage

I am looking to buy a drone (Mavoc Mini), and I want to insure it. I understand State Farm does it in USA, but Desjardin (the "State Farm" of Canada) does not offer this. I have been looking around and I have not been able to find any sort of personal articles insurance. I am not looking for liability insurance, as I am specifically getting a drone that does not require any licensing or liability protection.

Does anyone know a provider of personal articles insurance that would protect a "lost" drone? I am intending of recording in high density forests and over the water, and with WiFi signal operating the drone, I am quite concerned it can easily disconnect and the RTH function may not work or be setup adequately. I dont want to risk it. Unfortunately DJI does not honour lost/missing drones, only damaged ones.

Any help would be appreciated!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19652 posts
20085 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Is insurance really worth paying on a $500 drone? I have the mavic mini, mavic pro and mavic 2 pro and have been flying DJI drones since the first Phantom. I have never lost one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2019
1094 posts
1231 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Is insurance really worth paying on a $500 drone? I have the mavic mini, mavic pro and mavic 2 pro and have been flying DJI drones since the first Phantom. I have never lost one.
I've never flown a drone before, so I can only go from what I research. It's a hit or miss I guess, and I dont mind paying extra for a little piece of mind; specially as a first time flyer.

I came across one website but got a $300 quote, no thanks. Asurion by Amazon is another alternative but does not cover loss either. I will get DJI Care Resfresh for now and Refresh + later down the road. I hope that I don't experience any issues like you.
Member
Aug 26, 2019
404 posts
496 upvotes
Guelph-Kitchener-Wat…
If anything just go with DJI's insurance that renews every year. IMO it's way better than listing it with another company.
They pretty much cover most things.

Parrajara wrote: I've never flown a drone before, so I can only go from what I research. It's a hit or miss I guess, and I dont mind paying extra for a little piece of mind; specially as a first time flyer.

I came across one website but got a $300 quote, no thanks. Asurion by Amazon is another alternative but does not cover loss either. I will get DJI Care Resfresh for now and Refresh + later down the road. I hope that I don't experience any issues like you.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3299 posts
1441 upvotes
OAlton wrote: If anything just go with DJI's insurance that renews every year. IMO it's way better than listing it with another company.
They pretty much cover most things.
DJI requires you to send in the drone (even in pieces) in order to make a "repair" claim for DJI refresh. You can't claim for a lost/missing drone.

Unless you're flying over water, your best "insurance" is to get a radio/gps tracker to attach to the drone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2019
1094 posts
1231 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: DJI requires you to send in the drone (even in pieces) in order to make a "repair" claim for DJI refresh. You can't claim for a lost/missing drone.

Unless you're flying over water, your best "insurance" is to get a radio/gps tracker to attach to the drone.
Yes that's exactly my concern, a lost drone.

For high density remote areas I may put a gps tracker. Although it will likely push the weight over 250gm, there is no law enforcement in the woods. When I fly over water I may put styrofoam balls on the "legs" of the drone, to make it float. I live by the ocean though, so it may not even make a difference since the waves and currents will be stronger than styrofoam balls.

Guess there isnt anything much to do, other than hope for the best!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19652 posts
20085 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Parrajara wrote: Yes that's exactly my concern, a lost drone.

For high density remote areas I may put a gps tracker. Although it will likely push the weight over 250gm, there is no law enforcement in the woods. When I fly over water I may put styrofoam balls on the "legs" of the drone, to make it float. I live by the ocean though, so it may not even make a difference since the waves and currents will be stronger than styrofoam balls.

Guess there isnt anything much to do, other than hope for the best!
Majority of losses are due to operator error. Just understand the limitations of the drone and fly within it and you'll be fine. Lots of owners reporting that they lost their mavic mini, but these people were flying in high winds. It's called a mini for a reason and it doesn't perform well in wind. Don't let those YouTube videos fool you into thinking it's perfectly fine in higher winds.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2019
1094 posts
1231 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Majority of losses are due to operator error. Just understand the limitations of the drone and fly within it and you'll be fine. Lots of owners reporting that they lost their mavic mini, but these people were flying in high winds. It's called a mini for a reason and it doesn't perform well in wind. Don't let those YouTube videos fool you into thinking it's perfectly fine in higher winds.
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

Since I've never flown a drone, I plan on learning in an open field first and then add a few obstacles until I have a few hours of flying experience and feel comfortable. Only then will I attempt flying over water. I can't afford to lose this $600 toy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5096 posts
3334 upvotes
Insurance is more for liability than damage/loss. If you fly into someone's face or cause harm/damage to property.

Top