• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 7:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1196 posts
57 upvotes

Question re dsl internet

My parents use a cable company (Videotron) for their phone line. I would like to get them DSL internet with another company and I was wondering if this would somehow interfere with their cable phone line. Is it possible? Thx.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5552 posts
1934 upvotes
GTEH!
2 different lines.

DSL Internet uses phone line.
Cable Internet = Cable Line.
😎
Jan 12, 2017
526 posts
188 upvotes
I'll bet they can get a package deal for a better price if they stick with one or the other.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3713 posts
3793 upvotes
Vancouver
You might want to double check the price of dsl internet if you are thinking of getting it from a TPIA rather than the local phone company. In most of Canada the local phone company charges a "dry loop" fee on top of the TPIA's dsl internet fee if you do not have phone service from the phone company on the same line. That's an unexpected extra of $5-$15/month, depending on your specific area.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21683 posts
2461 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You might want to double check the price of dsl internet if you are thinking of getting it from a TPIA rather than the local phone company. In most of Canada the local phone company charges a "dry loop" fee on top of the TPIA's dsl internet fee if you do not have phone service from the phone company on the same line. That's an unexpected extra of $5-$15/month, depending on your specific area.
Which TPIA charge dry loop still? I have not paid them for a decade with a few different providers.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3713 posts
3793 upvotes
Vancouver
Kasakato wrote: Which TPIA charge dry loop still? I have not paid them for a decade with a few different providers.
The fee is charged by the phone company, outside of the TPIA's control. Telus charges this extra fee to all TPIA dsl customers in BC.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21683 posts
2461 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: The fee is charged by the phone company, outside of the TPIA's control. Telus charges this extra fee to all TPIA dsl customers in BC.
That's unfortunate out west. In Ontario the TPIAs would charge it directly, but most (all?) have included it for a decade.