Question re self-clearing of an international delivery via Fedex Ground

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2022 9:35 pm
[OP]
Mar 4, 2022
3 posts

Question re self-clearing of an international delivery via Fedex Ground

Hi all,
My first post here as I found these forums when trying to educate myself on self-clearance options.

I would like to order a rug from the US that is on a decent sale. The rug company's website is giving me the following breakdown of charges:

Subtotal: 319.73 CAD
Shipping: 106.93 CAD
Duty and Tax: 75.90 CAD
Loss/Damage Protection: 8.53 CAD
Order Total: 511.09 CAD

At the bottom of the page, there is the following note:
By clicking the "Place order" button, you acknowledge that your order will be processed and fulfilled by
FedEx Cross Border and you agree to FedEx Cross Border Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

The company is unable to answer my question whether it will be Fedex Ground or Fedex Express. Regardless, my question is the following: if I am already being charged Duty and Tax, will Fedex ask me to pay another Duty/Tax fee?
Sorry if it's a silly question, I just started to read up on self-clearance and my head is spinning from so much information.

Thank you in advance.
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13775 posts
17857 upvotes
Vancouver
If the seller fills out all the paperwork properly, then no, you won’t have to pay anything extra. But there is always a chance that they will file the wrong paperwork and FedEx will try to charge you tax again. If that happens, refuse delivery and ask FedEx for the paperwork to self clear. Take that down to the CBSA office along with your original receipt that shows the taxes and duties have already been paid. CBSA will then give you the authorization for you to take to FedEx to release the package.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3447 posts
2049 upvotes
London
Kiraly wrote: If the seller fills out all the paperwork properly, then no, you won’t have to pay anything extra. But there is always a chance that they will file the wrong paperwork and FedEx will try to charge you tax again. If that happens, refuse delivery and ask FedEx for the paperwork to self clear. Take that down to the CBSA office along with your original receipt that shows the taxes and duties have already been paid. CBSA will then give you the authorization for you to take to FedEx to release the package.
fedex like to send u the bill upto a month after u have the package yet they will tell u that u owe nothing at the door. makes it so u can't refuse the package by the time u know there was a screw up its way to late.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)