Credit Cards

Question re SPG->Marriott after conversion after Aug 2018

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2369 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto

Question re SPG->Marriott after conversion after Aug 2018

I've been reading a lot of conflicting information on Google searches at forums. Is the conversion going to stay at 1 SPG to 3 Marriott points, 1:2 or 1:!?

In case of devaluation, I'm leaving SPG Amex and signing up with something else. Or, all the claims on the internet could be just that, rumors.

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2137 posts
953 upvotes
What conflicting info?

In August, all SPG points will get converted to the new points at 1:3 rate, and they will be pushing up daisies after August. Whether or not those new points will be worth more or less than current Marriott points is what everybody is wondering about.

Do we really need a new thread for this discussion?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
mbmbkop wrote: In August, all SPG points will get converted to the new points at 1:3 rate, and they will be pushing up daisies after August.
With an individual's statement date I assume?
Sr. Member
Jan 14, 2017
741 posts
648 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: What conflicting info?

In August, all SPG points will get converted to the new points at 1:3 rate, and they will be pushing up daisies after August. Whether or not those new points will be worth more or less than current Marriott points is what everybody is wondering about.

Do we really need a new thread for this discussion?
I think we do need a discussion about the faith of the SPG Amex and the alternatives to this very fine card. I personally will stop my spending on this card in June, will book some travel to deplete the points, and will look for the alternative main spending card. Any suggestions for the worthy replacement are WELCOMED!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2369 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
The announcement just came out. SPG will now convert 1:2 Marriott points after August instead of 1:3 , representing a devaluation of points of 33%.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8168 posts
9479 upvotes
Vancouver
aokec wrote: The announcement just came out. SPG will now convert 1:2 Marriott points after August instead of 1:3 , representing a devaluation of points of 33%.
Actually that's incorrect. There is no SPG after August.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
7290 posts
9044 upvotes
Montreal
aokec wrote: The announcement just came out. SPG will now convert 1:2 Marriott points after August instead of 1:3 , representing a devaluation of points of 33%.
I think you are confusing a few things: all SPG point will automatically convert to the new points at 1:3 in August. After that, there are no more SPG points (as newfbc mentioned).

The big question is what the conversion rate will be from Amex MR to the new Marriott points. It's currently at 2:3 (via the SPG program), but there hasn't been any announcement regarding a change.
Member
User avatar
Jun 2, 2017
346 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
My query to the other thread is answered here - I don't have to do anything with my SPG points as they will automatically convert 3:1 into Marriot points.
Sr Software Eng | Dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | 5.2.4 Home Theatre | Tesla Owner

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)