Parenting & Family

Question regarding PACE program (gifted kids)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2021 5:24 pm
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
706 posts
128 upvotes
Woodbridge

Question regarding PACE program (gifted kids)

folks,

My 4rth grader recently got news that he passed first stage of PACE program and is being moved to the next step which is assessment based on WISC-5.
Any thoughts on how to prepare kid for this if possible? Maybe practice tests or something? He is super excited and really wants to pass and move to a "gifted" school.
I know this is some sort of psychological assessment and even we ourselves can pay and get this done.
Any thoughts on this?
So please help me navigate through this somehow to increase his chances of passing.
9 replies
Jun 11, 2006
456 posts
440 upvotes
I'm not in Toronto but my kids have each gone through "giftedness" testing through the school in Gr 3.

My youngest just did it, and her resource teacher just said to get a good night sleep and eat a good breakfast, that this type of testing is just to see how your brain is wired.

But just for this type of testing in general, I would think that it's not the sort of thing to study for? Studying for a gifted program seems almost an oxymoron to me ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19000 posts
6874 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The best way to increase his chance at doing his best is to deal with any anxiety and to make sure he focuses on the assessment and gives 100% effort. Attention span will help him perform his best.
But that does not mean ADHD drugs.

Make sure he knows you will be proud of him no matter what and that this is not a make or break test, its simply an aptitude measure.
Also if he doesn't get in to the gifted school but does want to learn more than school is teaching him do that on your own or even look into other available resources. School is not the only way to pursue wisdom.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3367 posts
1177 upvotes
Woodbridge
The comments below are based on my experience and knowledge as: a student who went through the gifted program, a teacher who taught Grade 3 and facilitated the first stage several times (including conversations with parents before, during and after the process), a teacher who has taught students identified as gifted (though never in a gifted community class), and a Special Education Resource Teacher who has worked directly with the psychological services and has experience with various academic and psycho-educational assessments.

What you're describing is a common misconception that many parents and students have about gifted screening. There is no "passing" or "failing." The WISC is an IQ test that looks at cognitive ability in various domains. The psychologist will look at relative strengths, relative weaknesses, and see if there are any domains that are significantly above or below the others before making a determination.

The gifted program is a special education program for students whose learner profiles do not match the typical child. In order to achieve their potential, they require an Individualized Education Program that provides instructional, environmental and assessment accommodations because the children learn differently from others. This is not different than an IEP supporting a student with a learning disability (where the IEP provides accommodations to help the student use skills that are relative strengths to support and develop skills that are relative weaknesses), or support a student with ADHD (where the IEP provides accommodations that address focus and attention) or any other student with an identified exceptionality.

The word "gifted" and the assumptions made about what that means and what the program is are frustrating to me. There is so much stress on some kids to "pass" the test and many parents will simply pay for a private screening to get the results that they want. Unfortunately, this results in a student being placed in an educational program that is not best for their needs.

The gifted program ends in Grade 10 and provides no advantage with respect to any post-secondary pathways.

The gifted program can be a great place for students who need it because the regular classroom setting or a regular elementary program is not right for them. I have seen students go from being disengaged, disinterested, even disruptive in class to having huge success after a gifted identification and placement in special education programming. I'm not knocking the program, or the reason the program was created. What I'm challenging is the pervasive perception that this is a superior program for the smarter and better kids that will give them an advantage later on.

Here is a thread in which I discussed my thoughts in more detail: december-kids-your-experience-jk-2162779/2/#p28836218

Here are two more threads where you might find some more information: gifted-school-york-region-2138877/3/ gifted-program-michael-cranny-2337706/#p32646916
Jun 11, 2006
456 posts
440 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: .

The word "gifted" and the assumptions made about what that means and what the program is are frustrating to me. There is so much stress on some kids to "pass" the test and many parents will simply pay for a private screening to get the results that they want. Unfortunately, this results in a student being placed in an educational program that is not best for their needs.
I totally agree. I wish the program did not have the word "gifted" in it. My sons were/are both in it and my daughter was anxious taking the test, because she too wants to "pass" (because of her brothers) and felt that if she doesn't qualify, that she is "not as smart". Smiling Face With Horns Argh. So I have tried to emphasize that the program does not equal "smartness"; I like how her teacher emphasized that it is only to see how her brain is wired. If she doesn't qualify, I hate how this will potentially affect her self esteem. And having kids who are going(been) through it (only 1 day/week with an IEP), I think it is a good program but in no way do I think this will impact their future success or not.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1936 posts
1324 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
erexa wrote: folks,

My 4rth grader recently got news that he passed first stage of PACE program and is being moved to the next step which is assessment based on WISC-5.
Any thoughts on how to prepare kid for this if possible? Maybe practice tests or something? He is super excited and really wants to pass and move to a "gifted" school.
I know this is some sort of psychological assessment and even we ourselves can pay and get this done.
Any thoughts on this?
So please help me navigate through this somehow to increase his chances of passing.
I am in a difference province and don't know what PACE is. However, I have two kids that are in a gifted school. They had their CACT test to determine their IQ's are gifted, but we never considered it a test in the traditional way. There is no pass or fail, giftedness is just another way that certain kids learn. In my province, Giftedness is considered a complex learning need. I strongly suggest not viewing giftedness as 'better' or superior. If you child does not get into the gifted school, did fail he fail? Is not as smart?

We only tested our kids for giftedness because we wanted a different school option that fit with their learning better. The regular program wasn't doing it for them. We tested them, and the moved to the gifted school. There was any very bright student but not gifted (there is a huge difference), and she was determined to be 'as smart' and also go to the gifted school. She wrote the test a few times, there was apparently some study materials to practice, and they went with a private assessment which if you tell them what you want, they will make the child score in the gifted range. It has been for this child a constant 'fish out of water' Not for lack of trying, but the child was smart buy not gifted. For my kids, I had took them right to the test from a grueling sports practice after a late night. I wanted them to be gifted even on their worst days. I told the physiatrist not to inflate anything, and evaluate to ensure they would fit in without struggling.

I would make sure your child is well rested, and has eaten properly before. We never stressed the test, even though my oldest has severe anxiety. We told them the test just to get a better understanding of how we could support their learning. We told them we weren't sure if they were go to the gifted school even if they tested gifted, but would get the test to see if that was an option. There was never a pass or a fail but rather a better understanding of who they are as learners. We to this day have never shared their scores, other than both of them scored exactly the same over all in different areas.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3293 posts
683 upvotes
Completely anecdotal: I took the gifted test 30 years ago through the North York School Board in grade 3. My parents had tons of IQ test material for me and I did them endlessly. Math, puzzles, pattern recognition. I recall the day of the test finishing it way before anyone else. It was probably the most well prepared I had ever been for any test in my life. It was "easy". I don't have a memory of the meeting with the psychologist, but apparently I checked all the right boxes for being gifted.

They say you can't prep for an IQ test, but my experience was you can. It's the same type of questions, symbols, patterns. See enough of them and they're simple. To this day, I don't know if I'm truly gifted or if it was due to all that drilling. I personally think it was the latter. Regardless, being gifted gave me the confidence to persevere through school. FWIW.
May 28, 2012
11148 posts
3280 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'm in SK and my sons were both tested when they were in grade 3 (?) and we were told they could benefit from "enriched" learning, whatever that means. They were in the Catholic system and no such program existed. The public board had a gifted learner program and I was involved in that. To be labeled "gifted" is one thing, to have the self motivation to succeed is something else entirely. There were many students who thrived in this program but also some that needed to be coaxed at every turn to get their work done. You get this dynamic in a regular classroom too, but in an enriched learning situation it's easier to fall behind because the pace of learning is accelerated.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1936 posts
1324 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
goob3r wrote: Completely anecdotal: I took the gifted test 30 years ago through the North York School Board in grade 3. My parents had tons of IQ test material for me and I did them endlessly. Math, puzzles, pattern recognition. I recall the day of the test finishing it way before anyone else. It was probably the most well prepared I had ever been for any test in my life. It was "easy". I don't have a memory of the meeting with the psychologist, but apparently I checked all the right boxes for being gifted.

They say you can't prep for an IQ test, but my experience was you can. It's the same type of questions, symbols, patterns. See enough of them and they're simple. To this day, I don't know if I'm truly gifted or if it was due to all that drilling. I personally think it was the latter. Regardless, being gifted gave me the confidence to persevere through school. FWIW.
You definitely can prepare for the tests. Apparently, it could make up to a 15-20 difference, which is huge. However, if one has to work that much to be 'gifted' then it may be a constant struggle to keep up with the kids that naturally are gifted. If you were in a gifted program and you find you fit right in, and the tests you took were 'easy' then you probably were gifted. My kids didn't study and they found most parts generally easy too.
Mars2012 wrote: I'm in SK and my sons were both tested when they were in grade 3 (?) and we were told they could benefit from "enriched" learning, whatever that means. They were in the Catholic system and no such program existed. The public board had a gifted learner program and I was involved in that. To be labeled "gifted" is one thing, to have the self motivation to succeed is something else entirely. There were many students who thrived in this program but also some that needed to be coaxed at every turn to get their work done. You get this dynamic in a regular classroom too, but in an enriched learning situation it's easier to fall behind because the pace of learning is accelerated.
Great point. Giftedness does not mean motivation or success. The label means that you have the ability to do well. In the psychoeducational assessments my kids took, they both score 'average' giftedness in most areas which is based on their natural ability, but was another score to show where were in terms of the 'motivation' and how hard they worked which was much higher. The psychiatrist explained that they use their natural ability but perform higher because they are motivated. Sounds great, except kids like this tend to be really stressed and at a higher risk of clinical anxiety. She was saying there are some kids that score really high in iq but the motivation area is really low. So for those kids they are not performing to potential because they may be bored or disengaged. In an ideal world, one would preform to their potential or higher without killing themselves over it. The kids that have above average (over 100) iqs, but are not gifted but are really motivated seem to be the ones that do very well in life.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1410 posts
385 upvotes
As a general aside, isn't the gifted program beginning shutdown as of next fall as part of the PC government push to discontinue "academic streaming"? I know that all grade 9 gifted programs for math are discontinued as of next fall, and then for fall 2022 they will be discontinued for all grade 9 secondary courses and grade 10 secondary math. As of fall 2023 no gifted courses are to be offered for grades 9 & 10 as they will be fully de-streamed at that point.

I also second what OntEdTchr says about not needing to study/prepare for the test as that is not the point of it.