Shopping Discussion

question regarding unfair business practices...

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2011 1:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
2264 posts
132 upvotes
Maple

question regarding unfair business practices...

Hi everyone..

just wanted to ask you guys if i have any recourse or can do anything about a service charge that i think is unfair...long story short..i had a company come and fix a belt on a commerical cooking hood that they installed 3 months ago....they were the ones who installed the commerical cooking hood last year....but the job wasnt finished until about just before christmas last year....well 3 months later the belt on the hood system broke and wouldnt work..so they came by a couple of days ago to check what the problem was and then they found out the belt had broke on the motor and they replaced it...they didnt tell me they were going to charge me since i thought it would be under their warranty...but today i recieved and invoice from them and they want to charge me for the time they came out.....

can i do anything about this..i feel this is really unfair for them not to tell me anything and then end up sending me an invoice....what is the warranty like for commerical services like this ?? not too familiar with the trade ..

any help would be greatly appreciated
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Did you receive a warranty with the hood? Without something that states that you are covered for a certain period of time; you called them in to work on your hood, they worked on the hood and deserve to be paid.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
aznblitz wrote: Hi everyone..

just wanted to ask you guys if i have any recourse or can do anything about a service charge that i think is unfair...long story short..i had a company come and fix a belt on a commerical cooking hood that they installed 3 months ago....they were the ones who installed the commerical cooking hood last year....but the job wasnt finished until about just before christmas last year....well 3 months later the belt on the hood system broke and wouldnt work..so they came by a couple of days ago to check what the problem was and then they found out the belt had broke on the motor and they replaced it...they didnt tell me they were going to charge me since i thought it would be under their warranty...but today i recieved and invoice from them and they want to charge me for the time they came out.....

can i do anything about this..i feel this is really unfair for them not to tell me anything and then end up sending me an invoice....what is the warranty like for commerical services like this ?? not too familiar with the trade ..

any help would be greatly appreciated
Read your warranty documentation. If it says that labour etc is covered and within the correct timeframe, then point it out to them. If it doesn't say that, then you are responsible for the debt. I would, however, contact the store and discuss this with them, outlining that there was no mention of a charge. Advise the owner that you feel they should have outlined there was a charge, especially so soon after the work was completed.

From certain legal perspectives, if there is no 'meeting of the minds' (i.e. you assume one thing and they assume the other), there may be no contract. If you had asked about it, there wouldn't have been any confusion. Good luck.