Question on replacing a microwave oven with range hood

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2014 8:34 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2006
78 posts
11 upvotes

Question on replacing a microwave oven with range hood

I have a 10+ year old Maytag microwave + range hood combo which has a wall vent at the back. Seems its relay is stuck now. Whenever I plug the power cord, it starts heating.

The model is discontinued. If I buy a new Maytag, how can I make sure it fits current mounting and venting position? Or if I buy other brands, will I have more trouble when I install it?
4 replies
Jul 3, 2007
86 posts
7 upvotes
Well if my experience is any indication you will likely have no issue as far as the venting position is concerned. For the mounting brackets, you may even be able to use the old ones. I'm on my third unit since 2007. I went from a GE to a samsung (identical mounting brackets) to a LG (I had to use the mounting brackets that came with it since it was a little bit different). The top bolts were all exactly in the same position. It almost looks like they are all made from the same design. And they must be all crap since they can't seem to last more that a couple of years. Good luck
Feb 10, 2014
35 posts
Have you looked at the miele microwaves? Much nicer to use, buttons won't get used as fast, wear-out, etc. \

Plus they come with mounting kits which can be used to accommodate different settings (also flush installation kits)
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses" -Henry Ford
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21026 posts
7364 upvotes
Toronto
There may be slight changes in the venting position, or not. However, it is more than likely the brackets will be different. For our existing unit (to be taken out) it was really annoying because there was a mechanical latch system that was hard to see how it worked once it was installed. I initially couldn't figure it out, since I didn't have the installation manual. Most of the mounting systems are much simpler these days. Basically a bracket to hold up one bottom edge of the microwave and then the screws at the top attached to the cabinet to hold the rest of the weight, but even then, different microwaves have different brackets. I ended up getting a LG to replace one from a different brand, and the bracket was completely different (no complex latching system) as expected, but also with a different height requirement. Also the top screw holes were in completely different locations. Even the electrical plug hole was somewhat different, although close enough that I didn't have to drill yet another differently located hole.

Whatever you do, make sure to try to get the old installation manual if you can. Otherwise it may be a pain. Also, it's two person job. I uninstalled the old one and then installed the new one myself, but it was a MAJOR PITA. It would have been much, much easier with two people.

That said, the best is just to buy a proper range hood and put the microwave somewhere else, if you need a proper fan. Microwave oven vents universally are terrible.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)