Tags:
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
611 posts
535 upvotes
CALGARY

Questions about Buying a used Honda CRV

Hey folks
I'm looking at a 2014 CRV touring listed locally with super low km. Odometer is at 37000km.
They're asking $20k. I figure 2014 is a ok year to buy because it's the model year produced before they started using CVT's.
What do you think, is this a good deal and what should I watch out for if I go to look at it?
Thanks
Last edited by findmesumdealz on Apr 28th, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15946 posts
13828 upvotes
Richmond Hill
No idea whether that's a good deal or not. But wow it's a 6-7 year old car and still going for 20k? Most importantly has it been maintained and is there paperwork to show it? Low mileage doesn't mean it's going to be a trouble free car, if anything may be the opposite.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
611 posts
535 upvotes
CALGARY
EP32k2 wrote: No idea whether that's a good deal or not. But wow it's a 6-7 year old car and still going for 20k? Most importantly has it been maintained and is there paperwork to show it? Low mileage doesn't mean it's going to be a trouble free car, if anything may be the opposite.
Looks like they have the dealer maintenance records.
It's also the top trim level, a touring model
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2011 posts
919 upvotes
Moon
20k is way too much, should be closer or even less than 15k

FYI Hondas traditionally have weaker automatic transmissions, the new CVTs however havent had much issues yet. Its mainly the new direct injection engines with the oil dilution problems.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Mar 12, 2017
91 posts
53 upvotes
Buying a used CRV is kind of a catch 22. I was also thinking about it, but the small value it loses overtime almost makes it better to finance it or lease it.

CRV doesn’t lose a lot of value because it’s considered really reliable. So you’re thinking: « well I’ll buy used, it’s reliable. » But then you’re paying such a high price compared to others used cars, that you wonder if it’s really worth it or if the reputation isn’t a bit exaggerated.

It seems like some other SUVs are nearly as reliable, but come with a cheaper price because they don’t have the reputation.

Anyway, I personally would wonder why such an old car as such a low mileage. It almost makes no sense. It just stayed in the parking all the time?
Last edited by leolozon on Apr 28th, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1433 posts
198 upvotes
Just make sure it doesn't have vibration at idle. That was one of the major defect for that gen I believe. Honda doesn't have a fix for it,
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
611 posts
535 upvotes
CALGARY
Hmm.
There is a 2019 CRV Ex demo car available from a local dealer at $31000 all in. It does have 6000kms on the vehicle, however, it comes with full warranty, etc.
What do you folks think?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15946 posts
13828 upvotes
Richmond Hill
findmesumdealz wrote: Hmm.
There is a 2019 CRV Ex demo car available from a local dealer at $31000 all in. It does have 6000kms on the vehicle, however, it comes with full warranty, etc.
What do you folks think?
As someone already mentioned. Honda has issues with their turbo DI motors and there's no fix. Avoid if you plan to keep long term, you've been warned. There's a huge thread in this sub-forum about this very issue.
Mar 5, 2018
243 posts
103 upvotes
I have bought a new 2014 CRV LE AWD, at the day one, the transmission having a whistling noise from 90km/h to 95km/h. It seems that problem is very frequent with that model year. Dealer has replaced the transmission but it became worse, it has noise at lower speed too. There were 2-3 times the AWD light stayed on when it was cold outside, dealer has changed the sensor 2-3 times and since there it did not happen again. The battery was dead after 2.5 years.
In general, the car is quite reliable. It was evaluated at 15500$ (50k km) when I transferred ownership 2 months ago.

2015 has shaking problem when idle, I have a friend who has that year model. From 2017 to 2019, CRV uses a new turbo engine which has oil dilution problem, that why I just get a RAV4 2020 2 months ago. I will post a comparison of RAV4 and CRV when I have time :-)

If you can get the deal around 18k, I think it's good. Try the car at all speeds on the highway to see if it has problem with transmission or not. That year CRV still using the old generation transmission, it's quite reliable.
Dec 1, 2014
183 posts
160 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Toyota Rav4 might be the better long term SUV to have. Honda's continue to have a growing number of questions.

If you believe in Consumer Reports, check Honda's ranking...below average now.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11573 posts
3828 upvotes
Toronto
leolozon wrote:
Anyway, I personally would wonder why such an old car as such a low mileage. It almost makes no sense. It just stayed in the parking all the time?
A lot of people doesn't commute a lot to work.
My wife park her car at GO (which is less than 5 km one way) or sometimes she works at home.
Some days, she goes to Gym or drink with friends near by. The rest of the time, we use my car.

Her 2016 has only have 25000KM

The question I will ask the seller is where do you work, do you drive to work, then you probably find out why the KM is so low.
If the seller tell you he lives uptown and works at the Airport 5 days a week, then you may want to ask more questions or give this up,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15946 posts
13828 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MP3_SKY wrote: A lot of people doesn't commute a lot to work.
My wife park her car at GO (which is less than 5 km one way) or sometimes she works at home.
Some days, she goes to Gym or drink with friends near by. The rest of the time, we use my car.

Her 2016 has only have 25000KM

The question I will ask the seller is where do you work, do you drive to work, then you probably find out why the KM is so low.
If the seller tell you he lives uptown and works at the Airport 5 days a week, then you may want to ask more questions or give this up,
Those short trips are harder on the car. Car never gets a chance to reach operating temps. If your partner had a current CRV it probably would have exploded by now lol
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3965 posts
2955 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote: Those short trips are harder on the car. Car never gets a chance to reach operating temps. If your partner had a current CRV it probably would have exploded by now lol
Another myth from the past. Those large Buick and Chevy V8's needed miles to warm up. Modern cars will handle short trips just fine. With good synthetic oil, wear is minimal, no difference after 10 years if driven to Florida or church on Sundays. I know someone delivering newspapers with his Rav4 for many years and that thing still runs fine.
Feb 7, 2009
205 posts
81 upvotes
Agreed with those previous posts above. I feel the 2014 CRV was the last solid drivetrain they offered with the conventional auto, 18k would be reasonable. If OP can live with the vibration found on 15-16 CVT (many of my family members have one) at idle in drive; take a chance. Otherwise I would be inclined to recommend RAV4 for any newer years
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4093 posts
4222 upvotes
GTA
Tommy74 wrote: Another myth from the past. Those large Buick and Chevy V8's needed miles to warm up. Modern cars will handle short trips just fine. With good synthetic oil, wear is minimal, no difference after 10 years if driven to Florida or church on Sundays. I know someone delivering newspapers with his Rav4 for many years and that thing still runs fine.
Then why do owner's manuals say your car falls under severe service if you do short trips less than 10-20 km?
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15946 posts
13828 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Tommy74 wrote: Another myth from the past. Those large Buick and Chevy V8's needed miles to warm up. Modern cars will handle short trips just fine. With good synthetic oil, wear is minimal, no difference after 10 years if driven to Florida or church on Sundays. I know someone delivering newspapers with his Rav4 for many years and that thing still runs fine.
Sure go ahead and tell that to all the owner's experiencing fuel dilution as a result of SHORT trips.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3965 posts
2955 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote: Sure go ahead and tell that to all the owner's experiencing fuel dilution as a result of SHORT trips.
Myth as well. That issue didn't have anything to do with short trips. Even cars driven normally suffered from diluted oil and gas smell inside the cabin. Apparently programming update changed the way trannssmission module and fuel injection operate and that fixed the issue. It had nothing to do with mileage. Some cars suffered the dilution from first tank of gas, some started later.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15946 posts
13828 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Tommy74 wrote: Myth as well. That issue didn't have anything to do with short trips. Even cars driven normally suffered from diluted oil and gas smell inside the cabin. Apparently programming update changed the way trannssmission module and fuel injection operate and that fixed the issue. It had nothing to do with mileage. Some cars suffered the dilution from first tank of gas, some started later.
Myth? Yup I guess all those owners are just overreacting just like when China put a stop on new CRV sales till Honda addressed the issue, which still hasn't been fixed.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11573 posts
3828 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Those short trips are harder on the car. Car never gets a chance to reach operating temps.
Although the short trips, that 5km may takes her 25 min to get home in rush hour Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Afterall, a car with low KM is always worth more than a car with high KM.
As for OP, the price is on the high end.
you can probably find one for 8k cheaper but with 100k km more on it.

Depending how long you keeping the car and other factors.
The Touring high trim is good to have, but again some people doesn't care about the leather and the sunroof and other options which the extra feature are worth nothing to some.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015