Real Estate

Questions about my mysterious tenants

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 5:40 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2021
1 posts

Questions about my mysterious tenants

I have a couple who has been staying at my basement suite for three years. The suite was managed by a management for two years. Last year I took over the management. The management company did not pass me any of the tenants government ID, contacting addresses, job information nor government ID for privacy reasons. The company just passed me the application form. And the tenants refused to give me any of their information. The tenants did pay their rent on time. However, I found out one of the tenant's name on her bank letters does not matched with the name on the tenant application form. In another word, I have no information about the people who live in my house. I am worried. I called the BC tenancy office and they said I can't not ask them to leave for not having their government ID information. I feel unsafe and worried. Your advices would be much appreciated.
15 replies
Dec 12, 2011
197 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldnt worry about it all that much as long as they are paying. It's not like they are any less dangerous than before just because you are no longer using the prop management company. Also if they were to commit a serious crime on you or your family, law enforcement would still be able to retrieve all of their information from the property management company, and the tenants are aware of this. Anyways, don't you provide an invoice for them each month? Who do you write it to?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8158 upvotes
Edmonton
kyoto777 wrote: I have a couple who has been staying at my basement suite for three years. The suite was managed by a management for two years. Last year I took over the management. The management company did not pass me any of the tenants government ID, contacting addresses, job information nor government ID for privacy reasons. The company just passed me the application form. And the tenants refused to give me any of their information. The tenants did pay their rent on time. However, I found out one of the tenant's name on her bank letters does not matched with the name on the tenant application form. In another word, I have no information about the people who live in my house. I am worried. I called the BC tenancy office and they said I can't not ask them to leave for not having their government ID information. I feel unsafe and worried. Your advices would be much appreciated.
I don't understand how you could take such a hands-off approach to the original setup, and I also don't understand why the management company wouldn't provide you with any information; that seems sketchy on their part, like they're just doing it to screw you up.

You're pretty much stuck for now, it would seem. How do they pay you? What happened with their deposit?

You could talk to a paralegal in your area and see if they have any good ideas.

C
May 7, 2015
341 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kyoto777 wrote: In another word, I have no information about the people who live in my house. I am worried. I called the BC tenancy office and they said I can't not ask them to leave for not having their government ID information. I feel unsafe and worried. Your advices would be much appreciated.
You make no sense. For three years you have no information about them, and only now you begin to worry?
For the past year you managed them, for 2 years prior, it was a prop manager. Nothing about the tenants have changed except your perception of them.

Now all of a sudden you feel unsafe. Get a grip on your life.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8158 upvotes
Edmonton
UrbanPoet wrote: Try to sneak attack.
Say “we will now only accept personal checks for rental payment. I will pay the cost of $60 for a book of checks that will easily last you 5 years.”

Now you have their name and bank account info!
Not sure if serious, but... Most likely you can’t change requirements like that mid-tenancy.

C
Apr 29, 2010
547 posts
851 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: Not sure if serious, but... Most likely you can’t change requirements like that mid-tenancy.

C
There’s a lot of things you can’t do but most tenants are not LTB lawyers and will likely just accept a reasonable request.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8158 upvotes
Edmonton
lolbeast wrote: There’s a lot of things you can’t do but most tenants are not LTB lawyers and will likely just accept a reasonable request.
But the OP's tenant has already made it clear that they don't want to provide their identity to the OP, so...

C
Apr 29, 2010
547 posts
851 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: But the OP's tenant has already made it clear that they don't want to provide their identity to the OP, so...

C
You never know until you try.

And hiding your identify as a tenant to your landlord is super sketchy. How is this allowed?
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11835 posts
1590 upvotes
Toronto
How are the tenants paying rent? Cash in an envelope?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8158 upvotes
Edmonton
lolbeast wrote: You never know until you try.

And hiding your identify as a tenant to your landlord is super sketchy. How is this allowed?
That was my first comment to the OP... Were they asleep at the wheel when they let the management company sign up the tenant who was coming to live in their basement? Bad enough if they're just moving into an investment property, but in your own basement? And who needs a property manager for that?

Of course, the OP was also (so far) a one-post wonder, so...

C
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44643 posts
7745 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
CNeufeld wrote: Not sure if serious, but... Most likely you can’t change requirements like that mid-tenancy.

C
Not force them. But calmly suggest it.

Or offer a free $20 good will refund!
“Awww sheet... the water pressure was a bit low... heres a good will refund. Thx!!!”
“We just require your legal first and last name to issue this check.”

Once they deposit... a check image will show their account # on the back which will help you determine where they bank.
This is also a ruse to get their legal name.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11835 posts
1590 upvotes
Toronto
What are the chances the OP is actually the tenant?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1133 posts
2093 upvotes
Toronto
lolbeast wrote: There’s a lot of things you can’t do but most tenants are not LTB lawyers and will likely just accept a reasonable request.
Not condoning anything illegal, but this right here is what you do. People need to start using common sense than accepting bullsh!t rules written by people don't understand tenant/landlord dynamics.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19469 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: You make no sense. For three years you have no information about them, and only now you begin to worry?
For the past year you managed them, for 2 years prior, it was a prop manager. Nothing about the tenants have changed except your perception of them.

Now all of a sudden you feel unsafe. Get a grip on your life.
This feels like the OP is just fishing for reasons to kick out the tenants to Airbnb the place or rent it at a higher rate. Nothing to do with suddenly 'feeling unsafe'.