• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 7:44 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2005
596 posts
54 upvotes

Questions about PowerBlock

I'm thinking about getting a set of Powerblock weights. Is there any difference between the Sport 50, Classic 50 Set & the U90 Stage I?

The only difference there seems to be is that the U90 Stage I is expandable. Are there other differences? Is there any difference between the Sport 50 & the Classic 50 aside from the lowest possible weight?
14 replies
Apr 27, 2003
128 posts
8 upvotes
If memory serves there are comparisons on the Powerblock website. I believe the Sport set has a smaller handle and the plates are thinner. If you are patient you can usually find a good deal on kijiji/Craigslist. Warranty is not transferable if buying used. Make sure to try them out at a store. They take getting used to and shouldn't be dropped,etc. I went with the U90 because of the expandability. If planning on going used it may be cheaper to get a U90 with additional stage2/3 than buying new additions later on as people are not usually selling just the upgrades. Although cheap is a relative term when talking about Powerblocks. :) If you have money to burn then also take a look at Ironmasters if you are looking for adjustable weights.
Aug 10, 2005
596 posts
54 upvotes
I was able to find a youtube video that explained the difference between these models. Powerblock seems to be the least expensive out of all the adjustable weights I've seen but they're still expensive. Canadian Tire has a pretty good deal on Powerblock but it's the model that goes up to only 24lbs. I'm looking into buying the model that goes up to 55lbs and I find the price very expensive at Fitness Depot.

I'd prefer to buy a new set so that it would be under warranty. Do you know if Canadian Tire, Costco or Walmart sell these from time to time?
Apr 27, 2003
128 posts
8 upvotes
Other then the one Sport model at Canadian Tire I haven't seen them at any of those stores. I've seen the BowFlex adjustables at Costco before but I've seen a number of negative reviews for them.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
I've had Ironmasters on my wish list for some time now.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1379 posts
80 upvotes
Milton
I've had the Powerblock Sport 5.5 for 4 years now, I absolutely love it, it goes up to 55lbs in 2.5lb incriciments with 2 2.5lb adder weights in the handles. I'm not sure if this set is still available though as I never see it for sale anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5070 upvotes
East GTA
Reviving an old thread but I'm looking at the PowerBlocks too. I found a set on Kijiji, it's the Sport 50 model with stand. Picking them up for $280.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2414 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Bringing this thread back from the dead .. where can I buy PowerBlocks in GTA? Turns out they don't ship to Canada because of shipping costs.
Jun 12, 2017
158 posts
70 upvotes
sshe11 wrote: Bringing this thread back from the dead .. where can I buy PowerBlocks in GTA? Turns out they don't ship to Canada because of shipping costs.
Fitness depot carries them and you can also find them on kijiji/fb marketplace
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1137 posts
1082 upvotes
Mooooonnn
SauceLife wrote:
Fitness depot carries them and you can also find them on kijiji/fb marketplace
agreed, plus below for official dealer
https://powerblock.com/international-retailers/

Got mine u90 stage 1 (note Urethane has discounted and replaced by pro in 2018 if I remember correctly) for $300 in Jan, surprised to see on Kijiji asking price is 1k plus now.

Just got another pb barbell from Halifax used, $150, plus $100 shipping still worth it considering it is sold out everywhere, fitness depot line up for hours and they never pick up phone

Extra note: one of the pin broke and just sent an email to PB they immediately sent me a replacement within 7 days, no question asked. Very impressed with their customer service
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Oct 3, 2006
199 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anshiren wrote: agreed, plus below for official dealer
https://powerblock.com/international-retailers/

Got mine u90 stage 1 (note Urethane has discounted and replaced by pro in 2018 if I remember correctly) for $300 in Jan, surprised to see on Kijiji asking price is 1k plus now.

Just got another pb barbell from Halifax used, $150, plus $100 shipping still worth it considering it is sold out everywhere, fitness depot line up for hours and they never pick up phone

Extra note: one of the pin broke and just sent an email to PB they immediately sent me a replacement within 7 days, no question asked. Very impressed with their customer service
For those that have them, is it better to try and find the current EXP series, or is the U90 just as good?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1137 posts
1082 upvotes
Mooooonnn
k32m wrote:
For those that have them, is it better to try and find the current EXP series, or is the U90 just as good?
Sorry no experience of exp. u90 can be extended with 2rd 3rd stg. I think they discounted it and replaced it with pro series

I would say if whatever you can get at a reasonable price would do as it is a very solid product
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
Oct 3, 2006
199 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anshiren wrote: Sorry no experience of exp. u90 can be extended with 2rd 3rd stg. I think they discounted it and replaced it with pro series

I would say if whatever you can get at a reasonable price would do as it is a very solid product
My concern with the U90s is that the expansion stages will be hard to come by since being discontinued.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1137 posts
1082 upvotes
Mooooonnn
k32m wrote: My concern with the U90s is that the expansion stages will be hard to come by since being discontinued.
I see a lot on Kijiji as well as some fitness store. If you have concerns shoot PB an email see if the new pro exp series is compatible with the old Urethane ones
1. Buy cheap, buy twice

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)