• Aug 22nd, 2021 2:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11438 posts
4647 upvotes
Ottawa

Questions about VPN and getting blocked from a website

Hi all, my account got blocked from a website and while I am trying to resolve this with customer service, I purchased KeepSolid VPN and connected it to a different Canadian server. I could clearly see the IP address as different than the previous one, before I turned on the VPN, but when I tried to create a new account for this website, it got blocked too.

Do you think I should install the VPN on the Modem/Router combo, rather than just enabling it within my Operating System (Windows 10)? Does that make any difference? We have the Home Hub 4000 from Bell.

Are there any other recommendations? The last resort is for me to change Internet Service Provider (ISP) to get a completely new IP address/range but I would prefer not to do so at this point.

Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1204 posts
2176 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
What website? You may be detected by a browser cookie that a new IP won't hide. Launch the VPN again, clear your browser history/cookies and or go incognito or try a different browser while connected to VPN. It would help understand website.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried connecting to your account without a VPN?

Sounds like the site detected a VPN and may be actively blocking it.

You can't run a vpn on a Bell router/modem.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11438 posts
4647 upvotes
Ottawa
fordmaple wrote: What website? You may be detected by a browser cookie that a new IP won't hide. Launch the VPN again, clear your browser history/cookies and or go incognito or try a different browser while connected to VPN. It would help understand website.
My account got blocked from Kijij. I do not know why they blocked me and every time I tried to engage customer service, they always replied with a standard message that they reserve the rights to block any users. So far I have tried the following without success, I suspect they have pretty robust security system and maybe using Artificial Intelligence (AI) or Machine Learning (ML) to detect unusual patterns and anomalous behaviours

- I tried different browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, even Opera with VPN enabled and ToR, to no avail. I remember clearing the cache and cookies before but will try again

- I tried some free VPNs to create a new account and they got blocked. I purchased KeepSolid VPN to create a new account and it got blocked too.

- I asked a friend of mine to create a new Kijiji account on his desktop, from his ISP, and gave me the credentials. Same result when I tried to use it on my desktop or from the app on my phone (through Wi-Fi or just straight LTE)

- The only time that I was able to get past this was June when I switched to Bell for ISP. I created an ad, as a test, which got through but it was subsequently reviewed by a human (standard practice for any new account) and they must have detected something in the way I worded the ad and that account got blocked as well.
audit13 wrote: Have you tried connecting to your account without a VPN?

Sounds like the site detected a VPN and may be actively blocking it.

You can't run a vpn on a Bell router/modem.
Thanks. I will have to explore other options. I consider myself fairly technically savvy and am totally stumped on this one but there's always a solution to every problem!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14996 posts
11488 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sounds like CANADACOMPUTERS

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
canabiz wrote: My account got blocked from Kijij. I do not know why they blocked me and every time I tried to engage customer service, they always replied with a standard message that they reserve the rights to block any users. So far I have tried the following without success, I suspect they have pretty robust security system and maybe using Artificial Intelligence (AI) or Machine Learning (ML) to detect unusual patterns and anomalous behaviours

- I tried different browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, even Opera with VPN enabled and ToR, to no avail. I remember clearing the cache and cookies before but will try again

- I tried some free VPNs to create a new account and they got blocked. I purchased KeepSolid VPN to create a new account and it got blocked too.

- I asked a friend of mine to create a new Kijiji account on his desktop, from his ISP, and gave me the credentials. Same result when I tried to use it on my desktop or from the app on my phone (through Wi-Fi or just straight LTE)

- The only time that I was able to get past this was June when I switched to Bell for ISP. I created an ad, as a test, which got through but it was subsequently reviewed by a human (standard practice for any new account) and they must have detected something in the way I worded the ad and that account got blocked as well.

Thanks. I will have to explore other options. I consider myself fairly technically savvy and am totally stumped on this one but there's always a solution to every problem!
Don't think running a VPN on a router will help because the VPN will still connect to the VPN provider's server. The address you get from using the app will probably be no different than the address assigned to OpenVPN if both are connecting to the same server.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7509 posts
8070 upvotes
Vancouver
I went to pay my Shaw cable TV bill online this month as usual, and found that Shaw is blocking my IP address so I can't log in to my account! I turned on KeepSolid VPN (Canada West server) and was able to log in as usual, demonstrating one of the reasons why you absolutely need a VPN.

The only reason I can see is that I'm using Lightspeed as my ISP at home (running over Shaw cable). I can log in from the VPN or from Rogers mobile network, but no computer or browser using the Lightspeed connection can log in, incognito mode or not,

So I called Shaw, and of course they said they have no idea why, but it must be Lightspeed's problem. Lightspeed hasn't responded, but clearly it's Shaw's problem since Lightspeed is successfully reaching the Shaw site, and Shaw is then blocking the login page when they see the Lightspeed IP address, before I can enter login information. I can catch a brief glimpse of an "access denied" message in some cases. Some sort of dispute between Shaw and TPIAs, or just an idiotic error by Shaw? Update: it was an idiotic error by Shaw - they fixed it after one week.
Last edited by Scote64 on Aug 21st, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6915 posts
4653 upvotes
SW ON
VPNs provide shared IPs for many many users. Many other people connected from the same IP and maybe someone did something bad and this IP was blocked/flagged by that site. Many places don't like people connecting through VPNs for some reason and block the whole VPN IP ranges. Public VPNs worsen browsing experience. Sometimes Google won't let me do a basic search. It asks to solve captchas over and over again after solving them correctly.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11438 posts
4647 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a quick update on this: My wife wanted to renew her library card today so we went to a nearby branch to do so. I used the library computer to create a new Kijiji account and posted something and you guessed it, it went through fine.

So now I know Kijiji blocked my IP address (range), the VPN IP address (range) that I use at home and the IP address (range) from my cell phone using LTE. Fun times.
Jul 9, 2005
216 posts
266 upvotes
Left field idea... Are you attempting to use the same username? eBay is a US company....could be as simple as them not liking your username...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11438 posts
4647 upvotes
Ottawa
patratcan wrote: Left field idea... Are you attempting to use the same username? eBay is a US company....could be as simple as them not liking your username...
No I created a new account and try to post something to see if it went through.

My assumption/suspicion is Kijiji (and you are right it is owned by eBay so they have $ to invest in a robust security system) probably uses Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning to identify anomalous patterns and flag suspicious behaviours e.g. a brand new account followed by a fairly quick post.

I have to give them a lot of credit and the *troubleshooting* continues...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21083 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
audit13 wrote: You can't run a vpn on a Bell router/modem.
What are you talking about? Is this comment only about router-based VPNs? Or does Bell have some kind of blocking of software-based VPNs as well?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5216 posts
3931 upvotes
means you cannot put the vpn onto the router, but can run the vpn client on your computer.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21083 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
evilYoda wrote: means you cannot put the vpn onto the router, but can run the vpn client on your computer.
And what prevents you from using your own router with a custom firmware?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2032 posts
1440 upvotes
Vancouver
Many companies will block any accounts created from a server/hosting IP. VPN endpoints are normally servers purchased by the VPN company. This is kinda normal and helps stop a bulk of SPAM
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5216 posts
3931 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: And what prevents you from using your own router with a custom firmware?
That wasnt what you asked before. Good switcheroo though.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21083 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
evilYoda wrote: That wasnt what you asked before. Good switcheroo though.
Not sure what you mean.
I generally avoid Bell, so I don't know a lot about their internet access services. Do they have something that requires you to use their router, thus preventing you from using a custom router?
- casual gastronomist -