• Sep 30th, 2020 3:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2002
1699 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Questions on day of occupancy for pre-con condo

I bought a pre-construction condo and after all the delays, I finally got a Firm Occupancy Date.

So I did the following
- Filled out the utilities form
- Got tenant insurance
- Have cheques ready for the post-dated interim occupancy payments

This is my first time buying a home and not sure on the process and procedures. I have a signing meeting with my lawyer coming soon.

On the day of the firm occupancy date, what exactly happens? In the morning do I just pick up the keys and can start moving in the afternoon?

Can I schedule things like internet hookup, furniture deliveries, etc on the day of occupancy? Or should I wait till the next day to be safe?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3439 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
Speak with your lawyer, they will provide you with all of this basic info. I would personally not schedule internet and whatnot for that day in case you don't get the keys until late.

For furniture deliveries, you will likely need to book the elevator so you'll need to do that in advance via concierge.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2002
1699 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah. I'm asking my lawyer right now, just waiting for the call back. The timing of all the days are very close for some reason.

Sounds good. Better to not schedule anything on that day. I have the online portal to book elevators.

But assuming everything is in order and smooth, it should be just pick up the keys at the concierge and move in right?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3439 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
Firestorm ZERO wrote: Yeah. I'm asking my lawyer right now, just waiting for the call back. The timing of all the days are very close for some reason.

Sounds good. Better to not schedule anything on that day. I have the online portal to book elevators.

But assuming everything is in order and smooth, it should be just pick up the keys at the concierge and move in right?
Yup, you'll get the keys and any fobs/openers required and then you just go to your suite.
Sep 28, 2020
2 posts
I just moved into my unit. They scheduled me an appointment when I did PDI. My appointment was at 4pm so I didn't book an elevator or anything just in case I don't get to pick up my keys. I showed up at the warranty office and got to check the unit for the second time and got my keys.