• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 10:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1393 posts
85 upvotes

Questions re: UPS brokerage fees and self clearance

Hello, I posted this in a thread on shopping discussion but I'm not sure how active it is so I thought I'd cross post here.

I'm expecting an item worth approx $300 CDN to be delivered in the next few days (in the GTA). Unfortunately, it was shipped via UPS. I'm expecting an absurb charge from UPS. I'm looking into self clearing to save on the brokerage fee. I did some quick research and just wanted to confirm a few things.

Am I correct in that I need to head to the "Inland Office" at Pearson (TORONTO LESTER B. PEARSON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTCOMMERCIAL OPERATIONS (4973))? I recall there being a CBSA office at Union station; is this location no longer available?

Can I refuse delivery (the package is already in Canada) and tell UPS I want to self clear? Will I get 5 business days to clear the package?
5 replies
Jan 9, 2011
334 posts
154 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Call UPS now to tell them you want to self clear and have them prepare and send you a .pdf of the required documents.
Dec 24, 2011
16 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Steps:
-Call ups with your InfoNotice# or tracking number
-tell then you want to self clear.
-someone will call you the next day and ask for you email. they will email you some papers.
-print 2 copies of the papers.
-bring a copy to 2720 Britannia Rd E. First floor. pay
-scan and email the sheets and receipt
-they should then deliver
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1393 posts
85 upvotes
Thanks everyone. The process was much easier than expected. UPS emailed me the documents and I took them to the CBSA inland office at Oshawa airport. Emailed UPS the B15 form, and my package was dropped off later that day without any COD charges.

Btw, UPS wanted $150. I paid $34ish at CBSA :)
Apr 14, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Apologies for reopening this post.

I have a question regarding self clearing with UPS that OP experienced.

Were you able to get the documents for self clearing before the delivery date or you have to decline the delivery in order to self clear?

I'm expecting a package this Friday with hst charge of $25 and brokerage of $60. I want to avoid the $60 but my multiple calls to ups to get the commercial invoice and bill of lading have gone nowhere. I been told that I can receive those document 2-3 days after I decline the delivery at which point "someone" from CBSA will contact me for further instructions. Sounds like BS but just want to confirm.

The OP was able to clear and get the package delivered on time from what I understood, just want to confirm that