Investing

Questrade make clients pay for their technical issues - Investors Stay Away!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2019 10:13 am
[OP]
Aug 8, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes

Questrade make clients pay for their technical issues - Investors Stay Away!

Pre-story: I'm an active trader, use QT daily despite buggy as hell trading app (IQ Edge), shorts not available most of the time, etc. I have 6 figures account with them.

Today (May 29) I tried to enter long position 1500 shares/$6.09 @ 12:09, my order is not coming trough and stuck in Pending status, price jumps 40%, to $8.34 at 12:18, order still pending. (What if it comes through after price dropped bellow my entry price, I guess I could lose a lot of money.)
Calling Trading Desk, representative saying he's sorry but they having technical issues and my order will be cancelled and transferring me to client support to discuss compensation, customer support representative saying me - NO compensation.

I ask for a manager, after half-an-hour discussion with team lead, and trying to explain why I have to pay for their mistakes/issues, he told me "I should consider this as lost opportunity", and gives me some excuses that trading is risky, etc, and refuse to give me any compensation except 5 free trades, what a joke $30 vs $3000. I told him to keep them to himself.

I guess they can do whatever they want.

Switching to TD Think or Swim, looks awesome, trade fees higher, but it worth it.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1603 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
Questrade for active / day trading? Big mistake. You should have taken the 5 free trades and start looking for a broker.
Aug 7, 2006
211 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
I've had similar issues with QT. Saw a stock I had dropping hard and wanted to sell using the desktop browser. I had a stop loss set and wanted to cancel it to trigger an immediate sell order. What do you know ...there was no cancel button showing to cancel the stop order. Did anything I could think of to try and never did show up until the next day. Ended up losing quite a bit.

I call QT and explained what happened an basically said I should have used the mobile app. I didn't have my phone on me or what if I don't have a phone. They would not take responsibility forit. Essentially saying their trading platform options aren't reliable to me. QT doesnt appear to very good with handling their own FK ups.

I'm debating moving to interactive brokers.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5333 posts
4585 upvotes
TD trading was down all the time last year. I doubt they would offer any compensation other than some free trades either.
Apr 19, 2017
831 posts
647 upvotes
Waiting for registered accounts from Wealthsimple Trade.
CucuCovers, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, Stack, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple
Sep 18, 2016
255 posts
196 upvotes
mclazy wrote: I've had similar issues with QT. Saw a stock I had dropping hard and wanted to sell using the desktop browser. I had a stop loss set and wanted to cancel it to trigger an immediate sell order. What do you know ...there was no cancel button showing to cancel the stop order. Did anything I could think of to try and never did show up until the next day. Ended up losing quite a bit.

I call QT and explained what happened an basically said I should have used the mobile app. I didn't have my phone on me or what if I don't have a phone. They would not take responsibility forit. Essentially saying their trading platform options aren't reliable to me. QT doesnt appear to very good with handling their own FK ups.

I'm debating moving to interactive brokers.

you look at your open order and press modify. From there you can cancel it or modify to market for example.
Index Investors, the Vegans of the Investing Industry
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1510 posts
100 upvotes
Read your terms of service, I doubt there are any brokers on the planet for consumers that will cover your hypothetical gains in the event of an outage.
Aug 7, 2006
211 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Oh I did. In my scenario...those buttons stopped showing. It was really frustrating.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1734 posts
767 upvotes
Calgary
andrew4321 wrote: Questrade for active / day trading? Big mistake. You should have taken the 5 free trades and start looking for a broker.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I've heard people complain about their internet (as an active day trader) going out and losing all this money. Yet, they're paying for home based internet. If you want fast response times and things like that, pay out for business internet. Same deal here.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2012 posts
412 upvotes
Saskatoon
Anyone, how do I update my Questrade mailing address ?
Thanks
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Sep 18, 2016
255 posts
196 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote: Anyone, how do I update my Questrade mailing address ?
Thanks
online, profile, personal, all the way down, fill in, save, done. your welcome
Index Investors, the Vegans of the Investing Industry