Questrade RRSP vs Desjardins company RRSP

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 2:19 pm
[OP]
Jun 29, 2021
23 posts
8 upvotes

Questrade RRSP vs Desjardins company RRSP

Anyone has their company RRSP managed by Desjardins? not sure if each company has access to different funds, I am currently looking at a few Blackrock Lifepath Index series and found they have "gold" stamp received from Morningstar.

I have my own RRSP at questrade and normally buy ETFs like XEQT, ZGRO, etc, should I contribute more to Desjardins? Brokerage like Questrade and TD don't have access to the Blackrock funds as I checked. Are these funds any good?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1452 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a similar situation...
I have my own Questrade RSP for XGRO, etc.

I contribute to my company RSP only cuz the company matches my contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 5% of salary. How can I say 'no' to that? It comes off my bi-weekly pay .. painless :-)
[OP]
Jun 29, 2021
23 posts
8 upvotes
same here. I have 4% from employer, not that much. Do I just do a comparison on the historic data on blackrock lifepath index funds and the ETF that I am interested in. If the blackrock funds is better does it make sense to contribute more to the company RRSP? any flexibility/consequence that I didn't factor in?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1303 posts
527 upvotes
I have an employer-match program with Desjardins as well (company pays 50 cents on every dollar up to 10%, so basically $7500 free money).

I just let that do its thing, and I invest on my own through my Nest Wealth robo account. Sounds like you could/should do the same thing... let the company plan chug away, and you can "actively" manage additional, diversified funds.