Investing

Questrade Trading Platform Bug

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2016 9:38 am
[OP]
Member
Jan 8, 2009
462 posts
78 upvotes

Questrade Trading Platform Bug

Just a heads up to everybody. I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but this morning I had a major bug with the Questrade Trading platform.

It replaced my book value with the prior day closing value instead of my actual book value. This was a swing of ~$4 per share and quite a large change in $ that could've caused a poor investment decision if I did not know my portfolio well. I contacted support and they reassured me that my actual investments were correct (account management) and it was just an issue in the trading platform.

I will likely be slowly backing myself out of Questrade as a result of this since I don't purchase ETFs anyways and regular trades don't cost that much more in fees with the big banks. Also since Questrade is a discount brokerage, any market orders incurs additional fees that make trades more expensive than the big banks/brokerages.

Long story short, if you stick with Questrade make sure you know your portfolio well and that you don't rely on the trading platform to make trading decisions.
8 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Hi secol,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our technical support team will investigate this issue.

If you ever questions about your balance or portfolio numbers, please feel free to contact us.
[OP]
Member
Jan 8, 2009
462 posts
78 upvotes
I did and they provided great support and managed to fix the issue manually. However, I just find it shocking that this can occur and wanted to warn others to not rely solely on the information in the trading platform. I hope the technical team can isolate and solution the bug, I had nothing but a good experience up until now but it is hard to see myself continuing on since it raises the question of what other possible bugs are lurking in the system.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Hi secol,

I’m glad our technical support team was able to resolve the issue for you. We treat bugs like that every seriously and work to resolve them quickly.

Thank you.
Member
Jan 18, 2007
338 posts
26 upvotes
secol wrote: I did and they provided great support and managed to fix the issue manually. However, I just find it shocking that this can occur and wanted to warn others to not rely solely on the information in the trading platform. I hope the technical team can isolate and solution the bug, I had nothing but a good experience up until now but it is hard to see myself continuing on since it raises the question of what other possible bugs are lurking in the system.
Yours is not the only bug and I want to direct you, and other readers, to a bug I described your-views-questrade-2049304/10/#p27011771 where Questrade is reporting gross amount of 21 of my transactions as (7.922816251426434e+28).

Unlike you I have received no technical support and nobody cares to get this fixed.

This is unacceptable from a company whose primary job is to accurately do accounting.

If you don't mind I'd like to hear who you're going with instead of Questrade as I will be backing out as well.
Newbie
Oct 20, 2016
23 posts
2 upvotes
Funny,

I was just about to fund my Questrade account for the first time. Opened it last week with some difficulty, as the instructions were not as clear as they could've been and when I made a mistake no one reached out to me.

Currently with Investors edge, and after reading through reviews of Questrade I think I might hold off on funding my account. I don't see many benefits to switching other then Questrade having better charting. If anyone has used both platforms please highlight the pros and cons from both! Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2826 posts
932 upvotes
They charge crazy fees! Like exchanging CAD to US while my bank is FREE! Cost of buying stocks is the same! $9.99 per trade! So, whats the point in going "Discount" brokers????? I left them after 2 weeks lol.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
budric wrote: Yours is not the only bug and I want to direct you, and other readers, to a bug I described your-views-questrade-2049304/10/#p27011771 where Questrade is reporting gross amount of 21 of my transactions as (7.922816251426434e+28).

Unlike you I have received no technical support and nobody cares to get this fixed.

This is unacceptable from a company whose primary job is to accurately do accounting.

If you don't mind I'd like to hear who you're going with instead of Questrade as I will be backing out as well.
Hi budric,

We would like to help you resolve this and we have been researching the issue you mentioned. I’ll follow up with our technical support department for the status of the investigation.

Thank you.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
AlexH1990 wrote: Funny,

I was just about to fund my Questrade account for the first time. Opened it last week with some difficulty, as the instructions were not as clear as they could've been and when I made a mistake no one reached out to me.

Currently with Investors edge, and after reading through reviews of Questrade I think I might hold off on funding my account. I don't see many benefits to switching other then Questrade having better charting. If anyone has used both platforms please highlight the pros and cons from both! Thanks!
Hi AlexH1990,

If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know. We’re here to help.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)