Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
77 posts
5 upvotes
TORONTO

Questrade using trackers when logging in

I use ghostery to block trackers. So about 2 months ago I suddenly had trouble logging into my account at questrade. I figured out that that I have to turn ghostery off and allow traking at the questrade log in page or else it will just hang. The following trackers were being used

clicktrade
Doubleclick
Google Analytics
Marketo
Omniture
Optimizely

So my question is why Questrade needs these trackers to be active in order to log in. Should security not be their primary concern.

I find it concerning that a site like questrade is using trackers at log in
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1095 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Omniture is the only one I need to unblock to log in, have had it like so since at least the beginning of the year. Not uncommon for that one as an exception on the web. Dunno how unprivate it is, but not much of a choice.

I'm sure all major websites, financial institutions included, use some kind of user tracking. Some are more built-in and in the background than what can be exposed by Ghostery or other similar tools.
Intricated
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Yarrlodr,

Questrade is committed to both the security and integrity of our platforms and websites. As a regulated financial services company, we take very seriously the responsibility that we have to protect our clients’ information. Following that, our next priority is optimizing the experience of our clients as they use our websites and platforms. Analysis tools like Google Analytics and Optimizely help us to do this by providing us with invaluable feedback about how well we are serving our clients. This information is used to help us allocate resources and determine what improvements and changes would be most beneficial to our clients. These behind-the-scenes programs help us to do all this in the least obtrusive way possible.

Enabling a plugin that blocks these analysis tools should not affect your ability to log into the Questrade platform. If they are causing an issue, please consider disabling the plugin just for the login screen and then re-enabling it once you are onto the next screen.

Thanks,

Carl from Team Questrade
Jan 31, 2015
98 posts
21 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Questrade wrote: Hi Yarrlodr,

Questrade is committed to both the security and integrity of our platforms and websites. As a regulated financial services company, we take very seriously the responsibility that we have to protect our clients’ information. Following that, our next priority is optimizing the experience of our clients as they use our websites and platforms. Analysis tools like Google Analytics and Optimizely help us to do this by providing us with invaluable feedback about how well we are serving our clients. This information is used to help us allocate resources and determine what improvements and changes would be most beneficial to our clients. These behind-the-scenes programs help us to do all this in the least obtrusive way possible.

Enabling a plugin that blocks these analysis tools should not affect your ability to log into the Questrade platform. If they are causing an issue, please consider disabling the plugin just for the login screen and then re-enabling it once you are onto the next screen.

Thanks,

Carl from Team Questrade
Thanks for the corporate diarrhea.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2553 posts
982 upvotes
Questrade wrote: Hi Yarrlodr,

Thanks,

Carl from Team Questrade
Do you really need so many of them, though? Like... optimizely, 2o7, doubleclick, marketo, cdngc....
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
77 posts
5 upvotes
TORONTO
Intricated wrote: Omniture is the only one I need to unblock to log in, have had it like so since at least the beginning of the year. Not uncommon for that one as an exception on the web. Dunno how unprivate it is, but not much of a choice.

I'm sure all major websites, financial institutions included, use some kind of user tracking. Some are more built-in and in the background than what can be exposed by Ghostery or other similar tools.
I see that other banks and financial institutions do use trackers too, but they do not stop me from login in and I just block. These trackers are used for marketing purposes, I realize there is no going back, but does not seem right to force us to allow tracking to log in and then block tracking once Im in, which is what I do.

There is one thing with all the trackers on a site like redflagdeals, but it is different when it comes to tracking your banking.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19763 posts
2510 upvotes
yarrlodr wrote: I see that other banks and financial institutions do use trackers too, but they do not stop me from login in and I just block. These trackers are used for marketing purposes, I realize there is no going back, but does not seem right to force us to allow tracking to log in and then block tracking once Im in, which is what I do.

There is one thing with all the trackers on a site like redflagdeals, but it is different when it comes to tracking your banking.
FWIW - these types of trackers are NOT just used for marketing. They are used by web developers to

- See which pages of the site are most frequented, and more importantly see full navigation paths through the application to find out where people move their mouse and how people arrived at those pages. This can not be determined simply by looking at server side logs.
- See which pages of the site are slow loading, and more importantly why they are slow loading. Again, this can not be determined simply by looking at server side logs.
- See what browser platforms people are using and what effect it is having on how the site is being rendered. Again, this can not be determined simply by looking at server side logs.

This is just a taste. The main point is, these types of things are not just used by marketing. They are also used by the people who build websites to make them better.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2553 posts
982 upvotes
brunes wrote: FWIW - these types of trackers are NOT just used for marketing. They are used by web developers to

- See which pages of the site are most frequented, and more importantly see full navigation paths through the application to find out where people move their mouse and how people arrived at those pages. This can not be determined simply by looking at server side logs.
- See which pages of the site are slow loading, and more importantly why they are slow loading. Again, this can not be determined simply by looking at server side logs.
- See what browser platforms people are using and what effect it is having on how the site is being rendered. Again, this can not be determined simply by looking at server side logs.

This is just a taste. The main point is, these types of things are not just used by marketing. They are also used by the people who build websites to make them better.
But do they need so many? Good article on this http://blog.lmorchard.com/2015/07/22/th ... web-sucks/

One tracker I could understand, but so many is just madness. It has the opposite effect - it just slows everything down by making tens or hundreds of http requests.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19763 posts
2510 upvotes
daverobev wrote: But do they need so many? Good article on this http://blog.lmorchard.com/2015/07/22/th ... web-sucks/

One tracker I could understand, but so many is just madness. It has the opposite effect - it just slows everything down by making tens or hundreds of http requests.
Different systems give different capabilities. And no it wont "slow everything down" because they are always loaded asynchronously outside the normal page load.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2553 posts
982 upvotes
brunes wrote: Different systems give different capabilities. And no it wont "slow everything down" because they are always loaded asynchronously outside the normal page load.
Ajax still slows the browser down. If you're a webdev doing this stuff... go and try on a normal laptop, say 3 years old, with half a dozen tabs open, not a brand new quad core with 16 Gb of RAM.

Browser has to parse megabytes of code on these frankenpages... all to make one font different in some cases.

How can all the async requests NOT add overhead?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)